Hallmark vs Alaskan Campers

Motafinga

Adventurer
If you get a camper with a bigger rear area behind the wheel wells like most campers, you'll need to do some modifying to your utility bed as the utility is usually about 4 feet in width the whole way front to back.
I have an Alaskan sitting in a utility bed so...

1000arms

I will check out your links but I am not really concerned about a Bear conflict in Yellowstone or elsewhere although there are way more bears here than before. I am more concerned about not being able to camp in an area I want because of the hardsided restrictions. Until your last post, I was under the impression hard sided camping was a more widespread restriction. I could always sleep in the camper with the top down if it came to that.

Yellowstone National Park doesn't allow tents or tent campers at Fishing Bridge campground. This is due to how food and garbage were (improperly) handled in the past. The other Yellowstone NP campgrounds (both those run by the National Park Service and those by concessionaires) don't have those restrictions.

Camping in Bear County Yellowstone NP might be useful. Please be aware that the rules aren't the same at each US National Park. Yosemite NP doesn't allow overnight food storage in vehicles, but Yellowstone NP does.

Thank you for the clarification, I read your post regarding cleaning up after a bear, and misunderstood your concerns. I've edited my much earlier post for clarity because you (and possibly other people) missed the point that ONLY Fishing Bridge campground bans tents and tent campers. Enjoy the links! :cool:

Two more links regarding what to avoid doing:
Bison Bellows: A Case Study of Bison Selfies in Yellowstone National Park
Bison selfies are a bad idea: Tourist gored in Yellowstone as another photo goes awry

ScottPC

I have a 2019 Hallmark Milner and if necessary it's possible to sleep with the top down especially if you can keep your gear in a trailer. Some of the Parks will have or enact hard side only restrictions when there is an active bear in the area, Glacier NP for instance. I believe you can have the top up during the day while awake occupied...not sure. In Banff and Lake Louise, they have a separate area for tents and soft sides with a electrified fence around it. My point is if you had reservations in an area where these restrictions were in place, you could still make it work with the Hallmark though compromising some comfort. SInce this is likely the exception in your camping adventures and if you liked all the other Hallmark features & finishes, I wouldn't let this be the one reason to go with an Alaskan. Of course, if everything is equal in your book, then the hardside design might be just enough of a deciding factor.

ripperj

Explorer
Lot less to rot out on a new Hallmark.
Most Alaskans have rot-it’s just a matter of how much and if the owner knows it :)

9757638819165d9aed236aebb155bdfd.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Photobug

SInce this is likely the exception in your camping adventures and if you liked all the other Hallmark features & finishes, I wouldn't let this be the one reason to go with an Alaskan. Of course, if everything is equal in your book, then the hardside design might be just enough of a deciding factor.

I have put aside a $10k budget for the pop up and there are some nice mid aged Hallmarks in that range a similarly priced new Alaskan had popped up in that price range that got me thinking, but is no longer available. The one thing about an Alaskan, I think a solid side might be warmer, but the ability to keep the bedding made up in the Hallmark steers me in that direction. Gonna go work on the trailer tomorrow to determine the axle swap. Hopefully, the forests are open this summer.

ScottPC

I have put aside a $10k budget for the pop up and there are some nice mid aged Hallmarks in that range a similarly priced new Alaskan had popped up in that price range that got me thinking, but is no longer available. The one thing about an Alaskan, I think a solid side might be warmer, but the ability to keep the bedding made up in the Hallmark steers me in that direction. Gonna go work on the trailer tomorrow to determine the axle swap. Hopefully, the forests are open this summer.

I have not been in extreme cold with my Hallmark, but did camp at 12º at 8500 feet, and stayed toast warm with Truma going. I had the corners of a couple windows dog eared to ensure there was just enough ventilation to prevent any condensation. The coldest component in the camper were the windows. Of courset there is thermal pack that snaps over them. It would be better if they had double pane windows. Both the hard (composite fiberglass) and soft sides were excellent in these conditions. I had the Truma set to 62 or so and it goes up to 85. I hope it will be a while before I get to test cold conditions again as I'm hoping for warmer and COVID-19 free days ahead :)

1000arms

... The one thing about an Alaskan, I think a solid side might be warmer, but the ability to keep the bedding made up in the Hallmark steers me in that direction. ...
Alaskan makes an 8' non-cabover and a 10' non-cabover. I haven't checked the layouts, but the beds might work for you.

Photobug

Alaskan makes an 8' non-cabover and a 10' non-cabover. I haven't checked the layouts, but the beds might work for you.

I have seen a lot of the non cabovers for cheap. I wish they would work for me but don't My wife and I have a sleep pattern that differs by 3+ hours. I need a place to hang out and read while she sleeps in. We also have to "store" two dogs. So my ultimate layout would be a cabover for sleeping and a side dinette.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven