HAM Operators- Post up here

BigRed44

Observer
Had my ticket since i was 12 Running Yaesu FT-7800 in the truck. Eventually want to put either an IC-706MIIG or and IC-7000 with the AT100 in there.

Alex
VA3ERX
Ontario Canada

Kuroi_Tora

Offroad Sith/Timelord
Howdy, Yall!
I'm new to both my ham ticket AND offroad adventuring AND to my TARDIS (2001 Nissan Xterra SE) and Im looking to make friends in and around Earth. Most specifically, the El Paso, TX/Las Cruces, NM/Alamogordo, NM area. My radios are my new Midland 75-822 CB and my father's old HTX-420 2m/70cm. Callsign KF5QIF (ham) and Blacktiger (cb). Feel free to get in touch. Have a looooooong drive from Havre, MT to Las Cruces, NM a week from now. First roadtrip solo, me and my chihuahua, in many years, wife already moved down, and Ill be looking for qso's/contacts to chat with during the loooong run! Alotta java and im gunna be runnin' hot n hardwired! Anybody else use HT's?? Am looking for antenna advice, guidance, and suggestions as well ad discussions about the newer ht's (yaesu vx7, vx8r and 8dr) and the others out there. I'm also still new and shiny to this site and this lifestyle so... Making new friends and having fun is the goal!

Expedition Leader
Callsign KF5QIF

Congratulations on your ticket!

Anybody else use HT's??

Sure; I have one, use it for service projects and on 4-wheeling trips when away from the truck. They're handy and fun, though I wouldn't want one as my only radio.

Am looking for antenna advice, guidance, and suggestions

For an HT, a mobile radio, a base station, or what?

as well ad discussions about the newer ht's (yaesu vx7, vx8r and 8dr) and the others out there.

I have a VX-7R and it's a great little multi-band radio for its size. The batteries last a really long time. Personally I wouldn't bother with the VX-8 unless you just had to have a GPS and APRS in your HT, and those things are much more useful in a mobile radio IMO. The new Chinese HT's (Baofeng, Wouxun) are incredible bargains and people that have them seem to really like them. There is one that less than the size of a cell phone.

Daryl

Adventurer
KG4FVY here - now in eastern PA (got my ticket while I was living in NC).

I haven't settled on what is going to end up in my Rover. I've only had 2m/220/440 mobiles before and since getting my General earlier this year I'd like to get some HF in the rig. It needs more important things than a radio at the moment to get it overland ready, but things are steadily progressing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal