Hankook ATM RF10

AutoXSS

Adventurer
I'm looking at the 245/65-17 for our kj liberty. Comes in two different load models in my size, a standard load that I assume is the passenger and an extra load, which is?

The local tire shop told me that even though it says extra load, it is no different than the standard load in respects to number of ply? Can anyone shine some light on this?

Last edited:

kayadog

Adventurer
The 235/75r16 ATM's I have on my KK are XL rated. The maximum PSI and load rating is higher than on Standard rated tires. Either way they have been great all terrain tires and the ideal tire for a multi-use KK or KJ (flawless in the past record breaking winter). I stole this from Barry's Tire Tech:

"Extra Load tires have the same physical dimensions as Standard Load tires (commonly abbreviated "SL"), but have higher load carrying capacities due to the higher pressures, and are constructed with slightly stronger materials to accommodate the additional stress caused by both the additional load and pressure. I should point out that Extra Load tires (commonly abbreviated "XL") have the same load carrying capacity as SL tires at the same pressure. It is a common misconception that XL tires must therefore have better performance than an SL tire, but in fact they would perform worse because they are thicker and would hold in more of the heat generated. But this difference is so very slight that it really doesn't make much difference. (What I am trying to say is if you don't need XL tires, then don't pay the extra money for them.)"

Last edited:

fisher205

Explorer
I'm looking at the 245/65-17 for our kj liberty. Comes in two different load models in my size, a standard load that I assume is the passenger and an extra load, which is?

The local tire shop told me that even though it says extra load, it is no different than the standard load in respects to number of ply? Can anyone shine some light on this?

I am running 245/75-16 on my KJ and find the E rated tire too stiff. It tends to wander around on the highway. They have been working good other than that. I would recommend them in the lighter loading

AutoXSS

Adventurer
My plan with these is very minor off-road excursions. Mostly backwoods, flint hills roads. I do have an off-road park close to me that I will visit On occasion, tuttle creek orv park.

On the plus side, my local peerless tire shop has these priced $15 cheaper per tire than the standard load. Was quoted $650ish out the door including tire disposal, set of 4 245/65-17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater