happened across a 96 discovery today - is this suspension stock?

antiacus

Observer
Swung by on my way to work. Records are incredible until 2008 when they end. It's only got 10k miles or so since then though. So in the last 15 it had the head gaskets replaced. New brakes including reservoirs. New water pump. New cooling hoses and other parts related to cooling that i skimmed.

The bad news. I looked under the driver side carpet as suggested (thanks for all the help by the way!) and found this:
IMG_20140107_113407.jpg

Pretty rusty. Also mildewy carpet in a few spots. Back seat carpet looks great and the rear cargo carpet looks okay.

On the plus side i was pretty impressed overall looking under the hood. It looked like nearly all the rubber under the hood was new.
(definitely a 4.0, sure runs strong though)
IMG_20140107_113538.jpg

Also snapped a shot under the rear where i noticed a little bit of rust but it didn't seem excessive:
IMG_20140107_113320.jpg

Never noticed the hood was painted before. I like it. (pic taken after i popped the hood, it fits flush)
IMG_20140107_113423.jpg

So. Not sure where that leaves me. I really like how it drives, i like that it's a 5 speed. I like that it's already lifted.

If i could buy it for $1,200

$800 tires
$200 starter motor (not sure if ok to buy used)
$250 front glass
$20 head liner (spray)
$50-$100 clutch master or slave cylinder
$25-$50 front carpet (most likely bedliner then the thick generic stuff from walmart)
$0 hours cleaning mold, ripping out carpet & headliner, sorting sunroof leaks, etc.
$100 all new fluids & filters

So probably $2,750 neighborhood to get it up to speed. Other than that i'd like a bumper, winch, and roof rack but those can come later on.

Hrrrm....

psykokid

Explorer
Looks like it has a front bash / tie rod guard from the pic. Also, cant tell from the quick peel back pick of the carpet it looks like surface rust, not cancer. Peel back the carpet a bit more and poke at it with a screwdriver, and see if there are any holes..

Discodriverfloor1.jpg

Last edited:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
As mentioned before, show up with ten $100 bills and see if he'll bite. Check under the front and cargo carpets for rust.

Then, be prepared to spend a few grand getting it sorted. I'd immediately change all of the fluids, replace the thermostat and coolant hoses, replace the fuel pump and fuel filter, and put some 235/85R16 tires on it. Chasing the window gremlins might be a pain; maybe not.

Review Scott Brady's D1 thread. You'll find a lot of useful information regarding maintenance and spares.

I sort of agree.... 50 x $20s looks like more money!

antiacus

Observer
I guess the biggest holdup for me at this point is the sunroof leak. Everything else i feel confident in tackling. I need to research what others have done with them and decide if it's within the realm of what i want to tackle.

Ray_G

Explorer
I guess the biggest holdup for me at this point is the sunroof leak. Everything else i feel confident in tackling. I need to research what others have done with them and decide if it's within the realm of what i want to tackle.

Brother that's simple! Silicone the hell out of them, when you do the headliner pull the motors so that nobody can accidentally break your seal by messing with the switches. Take a hard look at the floor areas for sure to ensure none of the rust is terminal-bring cash and see if the guy wants to move it..

r-
Ray

sedat

Adventurer
Most everybody just seals em. if you want em to be functional, clean em out and grease em. Like the other said, stab the floor with a screwdriver.
Other places to check for rust: Open the back doors and poke near the door striker and just above the wheel well in the same area. also check under the pillar in the fender well with a light.

You can get a used starter for it from the yards. look carefully and you'll find one that was probably just replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl