Harbor freight winch

Will Riggs

Observer
I have the newer hf 12k, dozens of pulls so far and even a few shock loads (not on purpose). It hasn't even flinched. Pulled a friend's deuce up a muddy incline without issue. I've had and seen more issues with warn winches than with cheap hf units.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Will Riggs

Observer
Ha! You're probably right, it must be defective. When it craps out I'll replace it with something that has a more reliable warranty, and known good customer service.

I have several buddies that have bought the 9000lb badlands winch, no complaints what so ever with them and they use the hell out of them. I bought one for use on a trailer. I think it ended up being $200 with a coupon for a 9k winch, figure if it works a couple times it will have paid for itself. Plus leaves me time to rebuild the 8k and 12k Warn's that crapped out on me this fall.

Toyotero

Explorer
This reminds me of a question someone proposed to me once: "If Harbor Freight sold an airplane, would you fly in it?"

Yeah, no way.

A winch is like a piece of safety gear, it's not something to skimp on.

(this is coming from a guy who frequently shops HF :)

Last edited:

762X39

Explorer
the low price aint worth the cheap crap
Humm... The OP made an important point in his rant. I purchased a used 12K Warn and couldn't be happier with it. Parts are easy to get, the price was right and I don't have to sweat about whether it will work or not. Counting on a warranty for safety and recovery equipment seems shortsighted to me. A warranty won't recover my truck from a stuck, a working winch will.:coffee:

dr350jja

Observer
WARN winch

I am a frequent HF customer, and have purchased lots of tools there. However, I went with a new WARN 9.5XP winch. I know it cost 3 to 4 times as much as some of the cheaper winches, but I feel better knowing it is a quality product.

MuckSavage

Adventurer
Sorry to hear of your buddy's problems with the winch. I had a problem right out of the box with a HF Log Splitter. On the 3rd pull of the engine's rope, the thing locked up. After checking it over, the vanes on the Hydraulic pump were in pieces. I called HF simply asking for a new pump. They said I'd have to disassemble, package it and send the whole thing back (all 700 pounds of it) instead of them just sending me a replacement pump. When I inquired about why, they said that the pumps are on back order & I wouldn't have one for 3 months. I called Northern, ordered a pump & had it in 2 days.
HF surely is hit or miss

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Their whole stategy is to sell cheap stuff and make it too difficult to return or replace it for the price.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I know a real bastard that did this.........the motor in his HF winch failed. HF wouldn't honor the warrantee although he was within the limit because the DM keep stalling....He bought another HF winch and swapped the motors.....returned the new winch with the bad motor withing the refund period.............What an SOB........:rolleyes:

lbradshaw

I have a HF 12k winch, many pulls mostly for others, no problems... Had it 2 years now bought the extended warranty and still out the door for 1/3 of others. I can buy another and still be less that some of the competition. Sorry you had bad luck. I installed mine and made sure it was done correctly. Maybe some of the issues are associated with installation?

HF sells crap for homeowners who are going to use their products once or twice a year, if your life depends on it or you make a living with it, buy quality.

newimage

Wood Burner
I have the smaller one on my atv 3000lb and works great also bought the extended warranty for 3 years which is a anyreason replacement warranty which gives you piece of mind.
I do buy things from HF from time to time never had a issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater