Hauling wood in ??

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Not only the fuel source is involved in all of this.

Open flame itself should be considered as well, regardless of legality.

With the recent dry years and nasty, nasty fire seasons we have had, I see it as prudent to simply remove open flame from a camp fire all-together unless absolutely essential.

And until somebody proves me otherwise, I have yet to find an excuse to call a camp fire essential, by any stretch.

Most people have camp fires simply because its "the thing to do"

Delloro

Observer
Pallet wood burns easily, but quickly. I will bring eucalyptus, oak, avocado, or piñon if I can get it. Burns long and hot. Respect all laws of course, but cold camping is for the birds.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Not only the fuel source is involved in all of this.

Open flame itself should be considered as well, regardless of legality.

With the recent dry years and nasty, nasty fire seasons we have had, I see it as prudent to simply remove open flame from a camp fire all-together unless absolutely essential.

And until somebody proves me otherwise, I have yet to find an excuse to call a camp fire essential, by any stretch.

Most people have camp fires simply because its "the thing to do"

Hopefully we keep getting snow like we have been this winter to decrease the water shortage of recent years.

Kevin108

Explorer
I usually take a couple milk crates worth of kindling. They're durable, stack nicely, double as seats and step stools, and the processed indoor lumber scraps I use run no risk of carrying pests or disease. I also typically carry a few pieces of seasoned oak in the Trasharoo just so I have something to get a fire going the first night around which I can dry what I collect around the camp site.

This system is because of lessons learned. On a visit to a NC state park, they only sold tiny pieces of green oak. On a visit to a VA state park, they said, "We're out of firewood," and gave us directions to 7-11. If it's okay to burn 7-11's firewood, it's okay to burn mine.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
"And until somebody proves me otherwise, I have yet to find an excuse to call a camp fire essential, by any stretch."

I don't have any excuses, I only have reasons. Fire, in one form or another is essential to my camping. I prefer my scrambled eggs and bacon cooked. I prefer my steaks grilled. I cook with fire. I stay warm with fire. Predators tend to stay away because of fire. So do irritating insects. Fire provides light and comfort and I will use it safely and effectively whenever I can.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
And yet, all of those reasons are preferences. So it remains non-essential.

You seem to like it, and that's fine. But is it not essential, by any means.

MOguy

Explorer
And yet, all of those reasons are preferences. So it remains non-essential.

You seem to like it, and that's fine. But is it not essential, by any means.

It isn't essential we go camping either. I will always have a fire unless it becomes illegal, conditions are wrong or I don't have time to watch it.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
In parks around here there are signs stating to collect wood prior to arriving at the camp ground. Then there are other places where you cannot collect wood along the way so you need to bring it in. All depends on the area etc. As for how I cart it, normally its on top of my roof rack or now in the back of my tray.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You mean comments related to common sense aspects of wood fire open flame?

You mean the suggestion that ANY traditional heat source for cooking is safer that wood fire?

Sure, ALL DAY LONG.

And if by "entertainment" you mean smoking out an otherwise nice campground and/or threatening burning down thousands of acres of land, you have a very sick mind.

Sorry, but I refuse to contribute to either.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
"And if by "entertainment" you mean smoking out an otherwise nice campground and/or threatening burning down thousands of acres of land, you have a very sick mind.

Sorry, but I refuse to contribute to either."

Thank you! I very much appreciate it when people who don't know how to use a campfire properly don't use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz