Height Adjustment for a Roof Top Tent on an Adventure Trailer...Ideas

tdittyrocks

Observer
I posted this in another thread. This lift works off a single stabilizer jack. I use a cordless impact wrench to raise/lower it. Here is a picture of it in travel mode and one with the tent and annex setup. I can open the lid at all times to access gear. It raises it about 2 feet and compresses down to about 7".

Attachments

• IMG_0248a.jpg
    IMG_0248a.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0246a.jpg
    IMG_0246a.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 382

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I posted this in another thread. This lift works off a single stabilizer jack. I use a cordless impact wrench to raise/lower it. Here is a picture of it in travel mode and one with the tent and annex setup. I can open the lid at all times to access gear. It raises it about 2 feet and compresses down to about 7".

I assume the tent tips when you open the lid? I think my buddy and I are going to pursue this method with my lid over what we came up with. This way keeps the lid on the trailer and the weather out.

tdittyrocks

Observer
I assume the tent tips when you open the lid? I think my buddy and I are going to pursue this method with my lid over what we came up with. This way keeps the lid on the trailer and the weather out.

You are correct, the tent tilts with the lid. Let me know if you need any detailed pics or have any questions.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
You are correct, the tent tilts with the lid. Let me know if you need any detailed pics or have any questions.

If you could email me the high res pictures of the rack/lift setup it would be VERY helpful. jeepfreak81 at gmail . com . My buddy is working on the lid portion today actually, he just texted me pictures.

pray4surf

Explorer
Can't believe I spent in excess of two years coming up with an adjustable RTT mount for my Tacoma and never stumbled upon this thread.

Filed under 'great minds think alike' I came up with a solution very similar to skirescue.

image_zpsd1381faf.jpg

image_zps474f019a.jpg

Done for the very same reasons, travel low - sleep high

For those interested, I do have a complete design/build thread linked in my signature...

n2hcky

Observer
Still waiting on my tent to fully test but did test with similar weight......worked well.

Just realized how old this thread was.....oh well

VIDEO

Not much progress but I did get the gas springs mounted.
They won't lift the tent this fast but will make it easy to raise.

Finally got around to starting on the project.
Removed and stored the sides, bows and cover.
I got most of the fabricating done on my RTT rack. I knew I wanted the option either using it at trailer height or up at roof height with the annex. I didn't want to travel with it at the roof height because of drag.
Raising the weight of the RTT straight up leads to all types of issues that I didn't want to deal with.....SO....I decided to have it sit in the middle of the box when lowered and then when raised it sits at the back.
I still have the gas-springs to add to it to assist in raising the unit.....but tilting it up to height is a whole lot easier than lifting it straight up.

My rack for my RTT is already high. I plan on lowering it at some point but as it stands I can actually raise it another 2.5 feet if I want for grizzly country. I am 6'9" tall so it's nice to be under the floor in the annex and not have to slouch. I'm thinking I may actually lower the support corners for traveling and still be able to raise it to a comfortable height. As it stands now, I can fully open the lid without raising it at all . Each corner post is 1.5 inches and the rack is 1" perforated square tube welded at each corner. It is pinned and can slide up and down. The CG weight is low so I'm not too worried about tippage and its still below my kayaks on my tow vehicle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 701
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 684
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 688

Forum statistics

Threads