Hells Canyon, Oregon - Lord Flat / Dug Bar Ranch

Nikson

Explorer
I really enjoyed your trip report. That's the last trip I did w/ my old truck (truck went belly up on the way home). I might want to get out there again next year in the new (haha, it's an 1989) truck.

Yeah, the trail to Lord Flat is SUPER easy, but is a lot of fun for guys in stock trucks or older leaf sprung unlocked trucks. Beautiful remote drive out to Lord Flat and Dug Bar so definitely worth going on even if it isn't full of challenges.

There's been a lot of talk over the years of closing this trail down. Since it's Wilderness on the right hand side of the trail, if anyone else goes out there, PLEASE take the time to cut through any blow downs that are blocking the trail rather than going around them. Take photos of your work, and mail them to the Rangers. They need to know that we're taking good care of the trail and being responsible. Please encourage others out there to stay on the trail too, even if they are bored because it isn't hard enough for them. It would really suck if this got closed down.

Craig

On our way route was all cleared up, we only seen 1 guy (scout for elk) out there.

I dont really see a whole lots of "wheeling" areas there, I think the actual route is as challenging as it gets.

I've seen some posts on NWOverlandSociety's site, thats why ended up doing one myself.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
On our way route was all cleared up, we only seen 1 guy (scout for elk) out there.

I dont really see a whole lots of "wheeling" areas there, I think the actual route is as challenging as it gets.

I've seen some posts on NWOverlandSociety's site, thats why ended up doing one myself.

Glad to hear it was clear. A few years ago when we went there were blowdowns everywhere and people were driving around them off-trail because they were too lazy to clear them.

I agree, no place to go wheelin'. Often time's when that's the case, guys will go off trail and start thrashing meadows, driving up the steepest thing they can find, and otherwise abuse an area that is otherwise absolutely pristine gorgeous. My hope is that everyone will stay on the trail, like you did, so it will stay open for years.

Glad you found the trip report on our website. :) It's a great place that I hadn't been to until Todd Eliason (Owner of Columbia Rovers) led us on a trip out there. I'll be back for sure.

Craig

Nikson

Explorer
Glad to hear it was clear. A few years ago when we went there were blowdowns everywhere and people were driving around them off-trail because they were too lazy to clear them.

I agree, no place to go wheelin'. Often time's when that's the case, guys will go off trail and start thrashing meadows, driving up the steepest thing they can find, and otherwise abuse an area that is otherwise absolutely pristine gorgeous. My hope is that everyone will stay on the trail, like you did, so it will stay open for years.

Glad you found the trip report on our website. :) It's a great place that I hadn't been to until Todd Eliason (Owner of Columbia Rovers) led us on a trip out there. I'll be back for sure.

Craig

One of these days we'll have to do a trip together... :)

Weather forecast talks about 12 inches of snow up in the Cascades, so I guess winter fun is here... :)

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
You bet Nik. It's looking like I'll have my truck ready for the snow by the end of November (has a heater, and winch is going in now), and the rest of it should be finished for extended offroading trips by Spring. As opposed to this year, I'm looking forward to getting out A LOT next year.

Nikson

Explorer
You bet Nik. It's looking like I'll have my truck ready for the snow by the end of November (has a heater, and winch is going in now), and the rest of it should be finished for extended offroading trips by Spring. As opposed to this year, I'm looking forward to getting out A LOT next year.

I thought I got out a lot this year, but Rubicon or Moab were on my list as well, and dont seem like its going to happen.

I will try to run for some snow this winter, while looking for a rollover GrandCherokee/Liberty with a diesel for a transplant.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
thanks for posting this...
for those of us who don't live in an area but still love trip reports the way you described everything helped me feel like I was there..
not to mention makes me want to jump in my rig and get going North :)

thanks again

Nikson

Explorer
thanks for posting this...
for those of us who don't live in an area but still love trip reports the way you described everything helped me feel like I was there..
not to mention makes me want to jump in my rig and get going North :)

thanks again

Seems like I have a tendancy to do that... "pass on the FEEL of the surroundings, etc." :)

Thanks.

p.s. AZ has some nice places...

nightfoam

Adventurer
I would have at least tried... :)

Just pay attention to snow fall levels in the late spring, I am getting another group of guys for the 2012 summer...

I would've too. However we were in a group that was more concerned about getting back to their hotel room than getting to the end of the trail. Next time, I'll just camp as planned and forget the rest...

Nikson

Explorer
I would've too. However we were in a group that was more concerned about getting back to their hotel room than getting to the end of the trail. Next time, I'll just camp as planned and forget the rest...

There is always an option... :)

handsoff

It was very cool to see this through another's eyes! I grew up in Oxbow and live in Imbler now. Wallowa County is a beautiful place to be; we spent quite a few weekends driving around and hiking up there this summer.

Nikson

Explorer
It was very cool to see this through another's eyes! I grew up in Oxbow and live in Imbler now. Wallowa County is a beautiful place to be; we spent quite a few weekends driving around and hiking up there this summer.

Sure is a great place... :)

ChiliPepperXJ

Nice report! Looks like you had a blast! I am in Boise, so not too far from there...Will have to consider that sometime down the road. Question, do you have a large resolution picture where you wrote JEEP at night? I love that picture, and think it would make an AWESOME desktop background hahah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk