HELP!!! 98 Mitsubishi Montero

Awddragger

I had my Montero for a year and a few months now. Took it off road once in awhile, last week took it to prairie city and was doing great until I was getting ready to come home. Took it out of 4Lo in Drive under 5 mph on accident and guess TC shifter got out of place. Drove in 4Lo at 35 to 40 mph home. About half way home, started smoking from the front of the car. Though I blew the motor, my buddy said he tow me with the chain. When we were 1/4 mile from home he started struggling. Got to my place and stop in front of driveway, I told him to pull a few more feet to the front of the house and my montero wouldn't move. Tried few times and it moved but made a clicking noise from the front. Look under and driver side bottom was oiled and smells like gear oil. Next day I fixed the TC shifter and drove it in 2wd and was fine but at times there was a click noise for few second. Check again on front diff and saw the one way breather melted. Any ideas what happen or cause it? Will I need to rebuild the diff? How much will it cost? Diff still rotate and works in 4x4 on drive way, should I just add gear oil and fix the breather and test the Montero out? Any idea will be appreciated.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I would try what you said in the last few sentences first...cheap, quick, and easy.

Check the condition of the Xfer case and transmission fluid just to be safe. If things got that hot, it's possible the freewheel sensor on the front diff might have gotten cooked. Might want to pop it out and clean it/check it while you're in there.

Post up with an update and let us know what happens! By then, smarter people will have chimed in. :)

MontyMcV

Observer
No freewheel sensor on an Active-Trac... 40MPH in 4Lo for any length of time sounds painful to me...:drool:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think the oil in the diffs (front and rear) and transfer case has got to be cooked. I would replace all the fluids immeadiately. Holy crap, melted the breather tube. That is way too hot. Could there be metal fatigue from that kind of heat?

Awddragger

haven't got time to do anything on the car, been to busy at work. Took the lock hubs out to keep the front diff from rotating just to get around. This weekend I will get under it and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77