HELP: I Bought an Overweight Overlander

Ziro

Like I said, get a second opinion from a good transmission shop. That doesn't sound good, but why not explore your options?

You may also consider ordering a replacement. Wyatt at https://www.rocksolidtoys.com/ has a very good reputation, and has been a helpful member on TacomaWorld for years.

Tricky thing is I’m in the middle of nowhere in west Texas. Not many shops around and I don’t want to drive far in case it gets worse - currently shudders at 20-30, 45, and around 60. Not sure I’d make it further than I’ve pushed it.

shade

This truck started life as a TRD Offroad so it's got the standard Toyota 8" axle, in this case a 4-pinion with electronic locker version. It's pretty well known that the 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma pushes the limit on the axle. Even on the earlier 79-95 mini trucks it wasn't unusual to break them. Hard use is why ECGS builds the Dana 60 upgrade.

That's not too bad. I'm rebuilding the rear suspension anyway ... :unsure:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Grab a U haul and tow bar (or dolly) and tow it out to a place you can work on it. If you aren't in a big hurry, a transport service would not be terribly expensive, probably less than 1$ a mile if you can get on the back of a car hauler going the right direction.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That's not too bad. I'm rebuilding the rear suspension anyway ... :unsure:

Just make note of the axle weight. Doubling the unsprung weight has pretty big impacts on ride. A D44 or similar is plenty of axle for a properly loaded tacoma I think. A D60 has a GAWR in the ~6000lb range!

Last edited:

tgil

Tricky thing is I’m in the middle of nowhere in west Texas. Not many shops around and I don’t want to drive far in case it gets worse - currently shudders at 20-30, 45, and around 60. Not sure I’d make it further than I’ve pushed it.
Where exactly in west Texas? People around here call anything from Abilene to El Paso "west" Texas.

I think you just happened to get one of those vehicles we all dread when buying used. Sounds like seller isn't the "shady" type?
I recently bought a used Bettle as a work car. Guy seemed honest enough. I asked about a cracked bumper cover and his wife spoke up and said she had hit a cat. After buying the car and being under it, she must've been talking about something besides a feline! All kinds of damage and replaced parts.
I agree on getting a second opinion. Unless you are in the middle of Big Bend, I can't imagine not being able to find another transmission shop within an hour or two?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shade

Just make note of the axle weight. Doubling the unsprung weight has pretty big impacts on ride.
I'm kidding. I may eventually need to rebuild the rear differential, but if I need a heavier axle for the way I use my truck, I'll get a different truck, or a lighter load list.

shade

I wouldn't drive it in that condition. Whatever isn't toast may be shortly.

Grab a U haul and tow bar (or dolly) and tow it out to a place you can work on it. If you aren't in a big hurry, a transport service would not be terribly expensive, probably less than 1$ a mile if you can get on the back of a car hauler going the right direction.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm kidding. I may eventually need to rebuild the rear differential, but if I need a heavier axle for the way I use my truck, I'll get a different truck, or a lighter load list.
To be honest the V6/8" has always been marginal in the 05+ Tacoma even not overweight. The 95-15 trucks without e-lockers got a better axle where Toyota added a bearing cap girdle and 12-bolt ring gear. If you are willing to give up the factory locker using an axle from a plain SR 4-cylinder and putting in an Air Locker would be stronger. That's the axle (the so called 8.4") the T100 and 1st gen Tundra had, for example. To deal with the weight it might be worthwhile putting a truss on the axle housing since tube deflection is part of the problem, too.

shade

To be honest the V6/8" has always been marginal in the 05+ Tacoma even not overweight. The 95-15 trucks without e-lockers got a better axle where Toyota added a bearing cap girdle and 12-bolt ring gear. If you are willing to give up the factory locker using an axle from a plain SR 4-cylinder and putting in an Air Locker would be stronger. That's the axle (the so called 8.4") the T100 and 1st gen Tundra had, for example.

Oh, I know. :)

If I really trashed the OEM axle or routinely janked the rear locker, I'd seriously consider a Dana 60 or similar. Until then, I can make due with The Toyota Way.

Ziro

Where exactly in west Texas? People around here call anything from Abilene to El Paso "west" Texas.

I think you just happened to get one of those vehicles we all dread when buying used. Sounds like seller isn't the "shady" type?
I recently bought a used Bettle as a work car. Guy seemed honest enough. I asked about a cracked bumper cover and his wife spoke up and said she had hit a cat. After buying the car and being under it, she must've been talking about something besides a feline! All kinds of damage and replaced parts.
I agree on getting a second opinion. Unless you are in the middle of Big Bend, I can't imagine not being able to find another transmission shop within an hour or two?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Fort Stockton

Ziro

If I do spring for a new transmission, do I risk the brand new perfectly tuned transmission ripping apart the older driveshaft, transfer case, etc.? The mechanic here mentioned that it could have a ripple effect throughout the vehicle - not sure if he’s being honest or just trying to milk me for all he can...

luthj

Engineer In Residence
?‍♂️

The new trans is not somehow going to increase the engines output... So no. You should inspect everything carefully, if the vehicle was abused or used hard, there could be other components which are marginal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach