Help me choose a winch!

RodB

ComeUp Winch Warranty

From what I can read Comeup is from Taiwan for a reputable winch manufacture that has been around for 37 years and has repair facilities in the US. I can't get their web page to work so I can't find out what their warranty is. .

The warranty on the new Seal Gen2 series winches from ComeUp is 3 years on electrical components, limited lifetime on mechanical mechanical components. The rest of the ComeUp automotive line has a warranty of 1 year on electrical components, limited lifetime on mechanical components.

Box Rocket

The Warn VR is a Chinese made lower cost product. I am not saying it is a top performer but it comes in on the price point side of thing with the Warn warrantee. Form what I can read Comeup is form Taiwan for a reputable winch manufacture that has been around for 37 years and has repair facilities in the US. I can't get their web page to work so I can't find out what their warranty is.

Hopefully they are a great winch and give Warn a run for the money. Competition is good. I am just a cautious person when it comes to this sort of thing. Years back I had an issue with Warn, sent them the bad part they sent me back a new one within a couple days, no charge and no questions asked. I like that. Things go down, to include Warn winches. Warn seems quick to fix problems.

If Warn keeps that up with their lower end series that will be good for somebody looking for a lower end winch. If Comeup winches are better than Warn that will only push Warn to make a better one and vice versa, either way the consumer wins.

I got the tundra weight info from Weikapedia.

Yes the VR series are low cost entry level winches which is why I personal believe them to be on a lower tier in terms of quality. There are definitely people who rarely need to use a winch or just have a winch to look the part at Overland Expo (ooops did I say that outloud ;) ) where a VR would be sufficient. The same goes for some of the other brands. Not everyone *needs* a high end winch, but for those that do, then it makes sense to spend the money on a quality item.
I had the 8274-50 on my old Land Cruiser. It was a fantastic winch and it got used heavily. There were a few trips where my winch was used to winch every vehicle in the group (sometimes up to 10 trucks) through particularly difficult sections. I was impressed that the winch never skipped a beat in that process. That's the kind of performance I personally look for. I'm not sure I'd have that level of confidence in a VR series or some of the other less expensive brands. I knew I could do it with a higher end Warn, and I believe I'll be able to do it with the COMEUP. Time will tell for sure.
I agree with you that competition in good. A rising tide floats all ships. You're also correct that COMEUP was started in Taiwan and the production is handled there. But their headquarters is in Oregon.
lastly.....the Wikipedia is wrong. ;) The 1st Gen Tacoma is 4200lbs and I'm pretty sure the Tundra isn't lighter.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Also interested

Looking for a winch myself and up to now was pretty much set on a TJM stealth winch but then started looking at a Warn Zeon. At the end of the day I want synthetic line, wireless remote, 1.5x my truck weight and reliability. I love the Warn but for the price of the Zeon 8 I can have the TJM and that includes remote and synthetic line. I did start looking at the Come Up as well and like what I see so at this point so it will likely come down to a Come Up vs the TJM. Looking at about a $400 difference at this point. Anyone know anything about the TJM winch as far as reliability etc?

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Googled

Just did a quick search on ExPo and looks like the TJM is solid after all so I'll go with the Stealth 9k. Cheers!

Box Rocket

Looking for a winch myself and up to now was pretty much set on a TJM stealth winch but then started looking at a Warn Zeon. At the end of the day I want synthetic line, wireless remote, 1.5x my truck weight and reliability. I love the Warn but for the price of the Zeon 8 I can have the TJM and that includes remote and synthetic line. I did start looking at the Come Up as well and like what I see so at this point so it will likely come down to a Come Up vs the TJM. Looking at about a $400 difference at this point. Anyone know anything about the TJM winch as far as reliability etc?

Just did a quick search on ExPo and looks like the TJM is solid after all so I'll go with the Stealth 9k. Cheers!

I would take another look at the Comeup before you pull the trigger on the TJM. I was in the exact same boat as you and was planning to get a TJM Stealth winch. There is more info here on Expo about the TJM just because more people knew about them than the Comeup. That is all. It's probably still an ok winch but it is not nearly as good a unit as the Comeup. I found a great deal on the TJM from Slee Offroad a couple months ago and called to order one. Slee Offroad had decided to drop the TJM winches from their catalog because they felt like TJM's presence here in the US was dropping and would probably go away completely before too long. So support in the future may be non-existent and it could be very difficult to find parts. Slee just happens to be replacing the TJMs with COMEUP in their catalog, so it gave me a chance to ask them what they thought between the two. Without hesitation they felt that the COMEUP was a MUCH better winch. Now that I've had mine for a month or so I can see why. I had seen the TJM up close but had not seen the COMEUP until I got mine. The COMEUP is much higher quality.
I know it's a bit more money for the COMEUP but a winch is one of those items I think is worth paying a bit more for when it means the difference of getting you out safely or not. Just one person's opinion but do yourself a favor and take another look at the COMEUP.

Just installed a Talon 9.5 synthetic that i bought from a local shop for a great deal. Did a hidden winch install in my Jeep AEV front bumper...

IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0028.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg

RodB

You could contact Slee Offroad and ask their thoughts on ComeUp and TJM. They have sold both brands and will give you advantages and disadvantages of each.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Thank you Box Rocket, I'll contact Slee and get their take on things. I agree with the paying more up front as opposed to risking problems down the road. Agin thank you!

photo nomad

Adventurer
I believe Warn has a $150 rebate on until the end of the month. I just went through this in early April and ended up going with a Warn because the new Gen 2 Seal Come Up winches were getting too close in price to an American made Warn winch once the rebate was factored in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Of course. I think you'll be impressed with the COMEUP winches.

Again thanks, the Gen 2 9.5rsi sparks my interest.
-synthetic line
-integrated solenoid
-remote control (additional safety)
-reputable manufacturer

Contacting Slee cause I don't see this model on their site.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
I believe Warn has a $150 rebate on until the end of the month. I just went through this in early April and ended up going with a Warn because the new Gen 2 Seal Come Up winches were getting too close in price to an American made Warn winch once the rebate was factored in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen the Gen 2 9.5rsi at $1095, if looked at a Warn Zeon 8s in the past which is roughly the same price before the $100 discount. Believe the $150 is at the higher end. I was attracted to Warn for the made in America factor but comparing the Zeon 8s to all that you get with the Gen 2 I think the latter presents a better choice.

Box Rocket

I think the COMEUP SEAL is a better winch and has a higher load rating and is clearly a better value with all you get with it. Only explanation I can think of for them not being on Slee's sight is just that they just started carrying them and maybe haven't updated their site yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk