Help me convince my wife!

dcguillory

Adventurer
My wife couldn't understand why we needed such a big vehicle(even though we have 7 kids!) but since about six months into it she has bee regularly saying how much she loves it and I better not ever sell it.

350outrage

Adventurer
Hey Scotty; bottom line is travel and recreation ain't cheap, esp with a family, no matter how you do it. Offset your gas bills against savings for hotels for your family, and I bet your van is Still more economical than driving a mini van and staying in hotels. Not to mention fact that you are free to do things you never could if stuck with smaller vehicle and hotel. We've had our v-10 Ford for 12 years, but cant' part with it. Its ok even at $4.00 /gallon. What else will take 7 persons and luggage and skis to the mountains?

350outrage

Adventurer
Pic of our van: "Plan B"

Van got its nickname bec "Plan A" was to camp in tents w/ my son's scout troop, northern Kansas, late January. Big 35 degree rain came in; we got to camp late. The other adults had reserved me a wonderful spot on the puddled floor of their 2 season tent. Me: "Thank you gentlemen, but I'm opting for Plan B" :ylsmoke: They said "HUH?" Never slept better. :)

Attachments

• DSCF0394.jpg
    DSCF0394.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCFO392.JPG
    DSCFO392.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 34

hitek79

Explorer
This is easy. Take her tent camping next to a creek with a major mosquito problem on a night it's going to rain. Presto!

screwball48

Explorer
This is easy. Take her tent camping next to a creek with a major mosquito problem on a night it's going to rain. Presto!

Or take her to higher elevations for snow and ice. My wife hates to be cold when she is trying to sleep. (Taking notes on the advice given here my self :) ).

ADVANTR

A proper adventure van will alter you life, and it will do so for the better.

I can only speak for myself, but it has certainly changed the way I think about taking trips. Made it sooo much easier to pack up your gear and go mountain biking or surfing for the weekend. I really think it will make your relationship with your wife better as you guys will spend more time together and lots of good times working on getting the van set up for what you guys want to do.

It took me very little time to convince the special lady in my life that a van was the way to go. We used to rough it in her Subie...and I mean rough it. We slept in the winter, with her dog, and the two of us. Of, and 2 mountain bikes in the back as well. I used to sleep on my side not because I preferred it, but because I could not lay flat....we used to get pinched by the PO-PO all the time for sleeping in random places....now, the cops just want to take picture of our van:)

Trust me, when she sees the light, there is no turning back.

Helping with the build process...

IMG_4151.jpg

Accrete

Explorer
Tell your wife she will have the coolest "Dude Magnet Rig" on the block...
This is my wife's DD and she gets guys drooling on the hood at least twice a week asking if she would consider selling it!

_TGL-AWD_11-2013.jpg

Nuf said.

:) Thom

OK...a PS...All the above AND...she can pull over anytime and take a potty break without ever leaving the rig!

accreteSigPL-Van.jpg

Last edited:

steelheadbum

Adventurer
In my 20 yrs of marriage I have found that its much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! Once its in the drive way I guarantee she will fall in love with its many uses and memories you will have in it.
Buck

draaronr

Adventurer
In my 20 yrs of marriage I have found that its much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! Once its in the drive way I guarantee she will fall in love with its many uses and memories you will have in it.
Buck
That is a pretty consistent plan with all married men.

montanachic

Maybe a little estrogen on the subject might help:)

The van has brought us an overwhelming number of smiles, laughs, and great memories. Not to mention it's brought us closer. It's something we work on together and trip in together. But in the end the van is not the point. Though I love the van and it makes me smile just looking at it, it ultimately is just a van (I realize that is almost blasphemy but stay with me). The point is what it stands for, what it represents, the memories it holds, and the memories it has the potential to hold. For us it's the chance for adventure no matter how big or small. (See ADVANTR above)

Our van started out bare sleeping in it on a blow up mattress. Even now after many months of work it is still simple but it's perfect in its simplicity. It has everything we need for any kind of adventure be it as simple as escaping town to have dinner on the lake,

IMG_2185.JPG

maybe a weekend away,

IMG_2326.JPG

or something even longer.

IMG_2182.JPG

Life's about the little moments and I believe if your lady gives the van a chance she'll find the van will help bring you both many special moments.

IMG_2613.JPG

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves." Sir Edmund Hillary

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Prime example of the difference between men and women.

Reason for getting a van:

Woman: See Montanachics explanation above.

Man: Because I want one.

:D

bdog1

Adventurer
My plan was go places "she" wants to go and camp there. (Camp-as in campground with bathrooms and activities) Worked so well that wife is now leading the charge to go camping! Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal