Help! Rough idle and die... recent coolant flush

Mr_Fish

Thanks guys...

I'm focusing on ignition today so I'll check out the ICM and coil packs. The IAC valve is working its way to the top of my checklist (going by the FSM) too.

I'll report back in a bit.

RyanY

Adventurer
I received error codes on the two parts that I've replaced and that was the purpose in doing so preliminarily.

An error code for a specific system does not mean that the part is necessarily the problem - it's merely the guideline telling you where to start diagnosing. An error code for the cam position sensor could be caused by a pinched wire or a bad connection somewhere in the harness - it doesn't mean "replace the cam position sensor".

Mr_Fish

Hey guys,

I checked the ICM as Dave suggested and everything seems good to go. Haven't made it to the coil packs yet but I did pull the IAC and checked the coil resistance. I'm reading consistently 40ohms resistance across the terminals but the FSM lists standard value 28-33 ohms. Maybe it's a red herring, I don't know how significant a variance like that is.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Good News on the ignition control module, (depending on what the real issue is), if you conducted the complete test, and I understand the Just answer posting correctly, then cam and crank sensor are also good? I to am curious about the coil packs, and the signal coming from the PCM, but again if the ICM test passed, then the PCM must be sending the proper signal. That post was very thorough, and really said a lot.

My experience with the IAC valve on other vehicles, is that you usually can get it to crank, it just won't stay running unless you feather the throttle constantly. I've also removed an IAC valve, and cleaned it out really well with aerosol cleaner and dried it with the blow gun and restored it to normal service.

montero98ls

Observer
Oh if it's not starting at all then I'd rule out the IAC. If that was had it would act as described above....Before I bought my 95 SR I had a 98 LS and I did a coolant flush and spilled a lot of water when flushing it put with a hose (after all the coolant was out). I tried to start it and it wouldn't start when it cranked it almost seemed as the engine was seized. Later on when everything dried it started up and ran....later on found out to had a blown head gasket though....anyways maybe your crankshaft position sensor is bad? Think I read you tested can sensor but not the crank?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven