Help us choose our dream adventure trailer! (RREV Baja vs Kimberley 7, updated)

catalyzer

Living the Roof Top Tent Life (and Learning Our Lesson)

We've been full-time roof top tent dwellers for the past two years, and let's just say we've accumulated some wisdom! Our trusty front-wheel drive car wasn't exactly built for sandy beaches and deserts (or we wouldn't dare do any real overlanding), so it's time for an upgrade.
PXL_20220527_122930436.jpg
PXL_20230826_130811899.jpg
PXL_20220527_030904481.jpg

Tundra Hybrid + Adventure Trailer Dreams (updatde 9pm PT on 8/7/2024)

We're moving up to a Tundra 4x4 iForce Max and are towing a sweet 23-25' adventure trailer. We've narrowed down our choices to four fantastic options:

• RREV Baja Edition
  • Kimberley Kamper Series 7
  • Kingdom Camping Caravan XL
  • Pause 20.3
  • Imperial Outdoors x195
  • Bruder EXP 8

Crossing Trailers Off the List

After some research (and hopefully some helpful feedback from you!), we've gotta be honest, two trailers just didn't make the cut. We're concerned that the Bruder EXP 8's cost might not match its quality, features, or insulation value. The Imperial Outdoors x195's Cruise Master chassis also worries us with potential flex/stability issues and reports of panel sidewall blistering.

The Final Showdown: RREV Baja vs Pause 20.3

So, we're focused on the RREV Baja Edition and the Pause 20.3.

Here's where you come in!

If you have any real-world experience with either of these trailers, we'd be eternally grateful to hear your thoughts. Especially any insights on the RREV Baja Edition since it seems a bit newer on the scene.

The RREV Baja Edition: Sounds Great on Paper, But...

The RREV Baja Edition (check out their website here: https://www.roamresilient.com/) sounds incredible on paper. They even have a Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/815230616631182/) and a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuIk2EJUb7_caZvdHWA7F3Q) where you can learn more about them. But here's the thing: there are a few things giving us pause (pun intended):
  • Digging for Info: They make you work to learn about their trailer, requiring you to bounce between their website, social media pages, and potentially back-and-forth messages.
  • Big Deposit, Big Risk?: A non-refundable $15k deposit feels like a big leap for a product that seems a little new and maybe more conceptual than proven.
  • Can't See It Before You Buy It: There's no way to see one of these trailers in person before pulling the trigger.

So, are we crazy leaning towards the RREV Baja based on the engineering specs and the bespoke build process?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Not an owner of either rig. I would be very nervous with a 15k non refundable deposit. What happens if the build is delayed and you get tired of waiting? Do you know much about thier finance and experience building trailers? Did the just jump into this market?

The Pause is new as well but way further a head. You could choose them and give RRV some time to prove themselves then sell Pause if you like the RRV.

Have you looked at Kingdom Camping?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Wait, you've been living out of a VW Golf and roof top tent for 2 years? Rad!

I'll say it upfront because you'll likely get comments about it so lets get it out of the way.... The general consensus on here is going to be skip the Tundra and go with a bigger truck like a F250/2500 or F350/3500. A 1/2 ton truck is capable of doing what you want but you will be more comfortable and safer in a bigger truck, especially if you are going to be full time which your post implies.

Additionally, I don't think you'll be able to get all that much real world experience on here with the two trailers you mentioned. You'll get tons of opinions and thoughts which are helpful to an extent but I don't think very many people on here own either of the trailers in question. Given what you have said in your initial post, I bet you $5 that you know more about these trailers than 99.9% of the people on here.

Food for thought for you.

catalyzer

Not an owner of either rig. I would be very nervous with a 15k non refundable deposit. What happens if the build is delayed and you get tired of waiting? Do you know much about thier finance and experience building trailers? Did the just jump into this market?

The Pause is new as well but way further a head. You could choose them and give RRV some time to prove themselves then sell Pause if you like the RRV.

Have you looked at Kingdom Camping?
Thanks @Obsessed2findARuggedHybid .

We don't know much about the founders' of RREV. However we do know their corporation is registered in San Mateo, CA and their ops are in Redding, CA. We do find it odd they don't allow us to visit either location :-\

We have not looked at Kingdom Camping, but will! Thanks for another option. I will check the forum for Kingdom reviews but why do you feel they are great?

catalyzer

Wait, you've been living out of a VW Golf and roof top tent for 2 years? Rad!

I'll say it upfront because you'll likely get comments about it so lets get it out of the way.... The general consensus on here is going to be skip the Tundra and go with a bigger truck like a F250/2500 or F350/3500. A 1/2 ton truck is capable of doing what you want but you will be more comfortable and safer in a bigger truck, especially if you are going to be full time which your post implies.

Additionally, I don't think you'll be able to get all that much real world experience on here with the two trailers you mentioned. You'll get tons of opinions and thoughts which are helpful to an extent but I don't think very many people on here own either of the trailers in question. Given what you have said in your initial post, I bet you $5 that you know more about these trailers than 99.9% of the people on here.

Food for thought for you.
@SDDiver5 thank you for the kindness. It's a continuous adventure with 4 dogs + 2 humans in a VW/RTT. But the gym showers and lack of access to real overlanding just sucks.

We hear you on the 3/4-1 ton trucks. We considered the F250 for a long time...but really want to try a hybrid. Do you or others have offroad/overland towing experiences with that type of engine? We know brakes will be a limiter so we want to try, but anticipate an upgrade there. We're also planning a suspension/wheel upgrade as we hear the entry/departure angles of the Tundra are sub-par.

We are hoping the 0.1% can fill in the gaps with us. We do like the concepts in the RREV, but feel real world practicalities can aid our insanities to evolve a rationale decision.

So far all the comments are very helpful!

Additional note, we plan to tour/overland in the 48 continental US before shipping the truck/trailer to Japan for the same. Over the 2 years in the VW/RTT we mainly stayed in the 5 western states.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Kingdom Camping is a newer company and the owner Jamin is young but has worked in the industry from an early age.

If you search this forum for Treefarmer1 they have an extensive forum on thier kingdom. You will probably want to reach out to them on updates. They are full timers and very knowledgeable!

catalyzer

@Obsessed2findARuggedHybid the Kingdom Camping Caravan XL has the same

Cruisemaster ATX or XT Air Suspension*​

as the Imperial Outdoors x195 / Roamer1. I communicated with a previous owner of a Roamer1 that had interior cabinets coming unhinged due to chassis flex. He stated he communicated with Issac the owner of Imperial, but there wasn't a fix offferred. So he ended up selling his Roamer1 for a Pause Reboot [the lesser overlanding designed version than the Pause]. Do you know if any Kingdom owners have the same issue?

catalyzer

Kingdom Camping is a newer company and the owner Jamin is young but has worked in the industry from an early age.

If you search this forum for Treefarmer1 they have an extensive forum on thier kingdom. You will probably want to reach out to them on updates. They are full timers and very knowledgeable!
Thanks again @Obsessed2findARuggedHybid for the tips... I will DM TF1 for their feedback. Much appreciated

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
To be blunt, only an absolute idiot would spend well over $100k on a Palomino product.

If you're looking to spend as much as that (and even more, since you considered the Bruder), you should be looking at Kimberley Kruisers as the benchmark, and comparing any other options against them.

rdrop

@SDDiver5 thank you for the kindness. It's a continuous adventure with 4 dogs + 2 humans in a VW/RTT. But the gym showers and lack of access to real overlanding just sucks.

We hear you on the 3/4-1 ton trucks. We considered the F250 for a long time...but really want to try a hybrid. Do you or others have offroad/overland towing experiences with that type of engine? We know brakes will be a limiter so we want to try, but anticipate an upgrade there. We're also planning a suspension/wheel upgrade as we hear the entry/departure angles of the Tundra are sub-par.

We are hoping the 0.1% can fill in the gaps with us. We do like the concepts in the RREV, but feel real world practicalities can aid our insanities to evolve a rationale decision.

So far all the comments are very helpful!

Additional note, we plan to tour/overland in the 48 continental US before shipping the truck/trailer to Japan for the same. Over the 2 years in the VW/RTT we mainly stayed in the 5 western states.
If you can hold out for a bit longer, Ram is going to be releasing their Ramcharger truck in 2025. It's based on their EV truck platform, but will have their Pentastar V6 engine that will operate as a generator. That means you'll get ~200 miles all electric and then a total of 690 miles with the gas engine acting as a generator. They're claiming payload will be up to 2,625 lbs, which is well above 1/2 ton and into 3/4 ton territory from a payload perspective. I currently have a F-150 Powerboost (mild hybrid) and payload is only ~1,600 which is really easy to max out. I have a 22 ft single axle trailer that has a tongue weight of about 800 lbs. Between passengers and gear I have to keep an eye on payload or I can easily blow past it. The Pause trailers are pretty heavy, and have pretty high tongue weights. I don't think the Tundra is going to give much wiggle room, but the Ram Charger might be the best option (assuming it performs as advertised, which could be a big if).

catalyzer

To be blunt, only an absolute idiot would spend well over $100k on a Palomino product.

If you're looking to spend as much as that (and even more, since you considered the Bruder), you should be looking at Kimberley Kruisers as the benchmark, and comparing any other options against them.
@eatSleepWoof we definately appreciate the bluntness + increasing the the baseline analysis with Kimberley too. We brushed over them as the quality of Kimberly and Intech felt similar on paper.

Our budget is sub-$250K for truck and trailer... full-timing + overlanding capable + durability are our main citeria... home-like luxury is in the mix too.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
We brushed over them as the quality of Kimberly and Intech felt similar on paper.
Kimberley is the worldwide standard for quality; not perfect, but as close as you're going to get.

Intech is a sad joke by comparison; it's only a minor step up over any mass produced, trailer-park-trash produced in Indiana. If we're talking North American made trailers, I'd take a 25-ft BigFoot over any Intech any day of the week.

tdjma

I know your thinking Toyota Tundra but seriously a power wagon would be more like it for the true off-road trailers the weight of those the palomino would be more likely for a Tundra.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

catalyzer

If you can hold out for a bit longer, Ram is going to be releasing their Ramcharger truck in 2025. It's based on their EV truck platform, but will have their Pentastar V6 engine that will operate as a generator. That means you'll get ~200 miles all electric and then a total of 690 miles with the gas engine acting as a generator. They're claiming payload will be up to 2,625 lbs, which is well above 1/2 ton and into 3/4 ton territory from a payload perspective. I currently have a F-150 Powerboost (mild hybrid) and payload is only ~1,600 which is really easy to max out. I have a 22 ft single axle trailer that has a tongue weight of about 800 lbs. Between passengers and gear I have to keep an eye on payload or I can easily blow past it. The Pause trailers are pretty heavy, and have pretty high tongue weights. I don't think the Tundra is going to give much wiggle room, but the Ram Charger might be the best option (assuming it performs as advertised, which could be a big if).
@rdrop thanks for the headsup on the RAMcharger too. We were narrowly focused on Ford vs Toyota, but will look at it and its availabilities too. Having the EV platform + a V6 motor sounds a solid concept...

We hear you on the "if" too. Many of these concepts are falling flat to claims

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__