Help with a generator/circuit issue.

Hello!

I'm reaching out in hopes in finding some help here. I've been to over a dozen RV places and have had no luck with diagnostic services or repairs with this issue. I've contacted countless mobile repair services but many won't work on generator issues or custom rigs like this. I've gone as far as I can go with my limited skills and available time and I'm hoping to find a shop that can help somewhere near Porterville, CA between May 21st-June 8th.

The rig has an older honda generator that feeds a dedicated 230v breaker box. It’s used power the habitat a/c and charge the batteries. Last year, it stopped firing up with the remote switch in the habitat. It will pull start and light up the breaker box, but it won’t start from the remote switch. The habitat a/c is not getting power. There is a switch on the breaker panel that is supposed to divert the power to charge the house batteries, but when it’s flipped, the batteries are not getting power. I don't think there is power at the remote switch. I have not been able to find a faulty fuse/breaker/ground/loose wire.

Thanks in advance!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hello!

I'm reaching out in hopes in finding some help here. I've been to over a dozen RV places and have had no luck with diagnostic services or repairs with this issue. I've contacted countless mobile repair services but many won't work on generator issues or custom rigs like this. I've gone as far as I can go with my limited skills and available time and I'm hoping to find a shop that can help somewhere near Porterville, CA between May 21st-June 8th.

The rig has an older honda generator that feeds a dedicated 230v breaker box. It’s used power the habitat a/c and charge the batteries. Last year, it stopped firing up with the remote switch in the habitat. It will pull start and light up the breaker box, but it won’t start from the remote switch. The habitat a/c is not getting power. There is a switch on the breaker panel that is supposed to divert the power to charge the house batteries, but when it’s flipped, the batteries are not getting power. I don't think there is power at the remote switch. I have not been able to find a faulty fuse/breaker/ground/loose wire.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a challenge. Might be fun? What kind of rig? I’m about 70 miles north of Porterville. No promises on skill level, limited generator experience on that little stuff, but could probably help with diagnostics. Do you know if the starter works? I would be willing to guess that you probably have a starter and solenoid and the solenoid has gone bad. Can you short the solenoid and see if it starts?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Also try some of the various AG equipment mechanics. Many of them are used to working on undocumented systems and just figuring it out, they are also in slow season now and both hungry and unconcerned about things like liability… it all adds up to “willing to try”.

plumber mike

Adventurer
An electrician I know would always say “The problem lies where the power dies”
A multimeter and an investment of time may be worth getting to know the system even better than you already do. Checking for continuity is so easy even a plumber can do it. Sketch up some simple diagrams made in the discovery process to keep for reference later. Post them here to get several eyes to see something you may not.
The knowledge gained will likely help with this repair and be carried on to any further issues you may have with it. Best of luck either way.

I would be willing to guess that you probably have a starter and solenoid and the solenoid has gone bad. Can you short the solenoid and see if it starts?

This very well could be the starter/solenoid. Unfortually, I'm not only limited by skills, but also time. I have several other issues on this truck that I'm addressing so I'm trying you outsource some of it. I appreciate your offer, but I have to keep it in Porterville on those dates due to work scheduling.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
This very well could be the starter/solenoid. Unfortually, I'm not only limited by skills, but also time. I have several other issues on this truck that I'm addressing so I'm trying you outsource some of it. I appreciate your offer, but I have to keep it in Porterville on those dates due to work scheduling.

No worries. It has been at least 15 years since I worked in that area, so I really have no suggestions other than look for one of those AG Mechanics. Also maybe hit up a small engine place.

If you decide to take on troubleshooting yourself, there is a pretty good group here that can help talk you through it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach