Help with wiring back up light...

SwampMonster

Observer
i am wanting to wire a LED flood light on the back of my Rover. I want it to come on with the reverse lights, and switched for other uses ie. powered when reverse lights are not on. Will a double pole double throw toggle work for this?

madmaths

Observer
first my English is not really good! ... yes a double pole double throw toggle work!! like this :
reverse3way.jpg
the 12v on the switch, I generally take it from the lighter (its close to the switch and its generally off when the vehicle is shut off)
and the second on the relay contact direct on the battery whit a fuse!!
hope this help

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
A single-pole double throw is simpler than a double-pole, double-throw (it only has one pole, not two)... But a double-pole switch can work fine also (just leave the 2nd pole unused, or maybe you can use it to add an indicator lamp to it or something).

4RunAmok

Explorer
The only reason you would use a Diode is to keep 12 volts from flowing to the reverse lights, in case you do not want them on while you have used the switch turn on the LED light. Most reverse lights are incandescent, and will burn more energy than the LED, so you might want them isolated from the switch.

pidge

I'd like to throw a switch like that on my setup. Currently have the rear fogs tied into a relay triggered by the stock rears when there powered. Question: I don't get what you mean in your diagram where it says "12 volt from reverse light" Could you enlighten me on that part please.

fireball

Explorer
The existing backup or reverse lights get 12V when you put the car in reverse. So you're tying into one of those wires. That wire runs somewhere from the center console back to the OEM reverse lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater