Hemtt/ Define America Project

crazyjane

Observer
When I was in Korea I drove a HEMMT Fueler for one exercise and I wondered about the fuel mileage for these vehicles. I had the full 2500 gallons in the tank. On our roadmarch we only went 45 MPH. So when we reached our final destination I refilled to the same spot and did the averaging and it was like 8.9 MPG. I completely understand you aren't going to be driving that speed for any amount of distance on a highway and just tooling down a dirt trail no MPG. I know other people have said the same as you as far as MPG. When I was in IRAQ...... yes I understand it's not an accelerator it's an on/off switch. Realistically the amount I said is probably not even worthwhile to try and repeat so I'll leave it there. I do like HEMMT's alot, easy to work on just heavy stuff. Upgrade the seats though to air ride.

A little off topic. Here I was looking at a new A4 wrecker about a month and a half ago....in Iraq. Talked with the operators of it.. C15 engine, Electric shift Allison and all axles air ride. He said he can haul a HET tractor uphill at 60 MPH. Ride, nothing like the earlier versions and a 3 person cab:smiley_drive:

BestofBoth

Thanks for the info. Yes when i was milking it on secondary roads goiing 45 to 50, we got close to 4mpg, but i don't think i could get much more then that.
Right now the seats are the mechanical ride seats that actually aren't too bad, but when we get some more $ we definitly want to go airide.

BestofBoth

crazy jane- yeh those hets are sweet. Luckily myself and my wife aren't too big and the beagle enjoys riding on the console between us

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Just don't get stuck in that thing. The recovery bill would be more than I would care to even imagine. I saw a Marine Corps LVS get stuck once, it took another one to recover it.

Ozarker

Just wondering, is this project a politically funded project? Sounds like something that Sarah Palin or Michele Bauchmann would want to go on tour with and finaced by the Koch brothers, it's about the only way you could fuel the thing running all over the country! (LOL)

asdean

Hi Everyone! So it's been awhile since I last updated. I kind of forgot about the idea there for awhile but I have revisited the idea. Instead of the original idea I would like to change it up a bit. What we would like to do is name the project It's America Project and visit every single National Park listing. This would included NP, NC, NM, and NHL. We are skipping over the National historic registry since that is well over 80,000 sites.

To do this project we are skipping the HEMTT idea and considering a GXV on a international frame. We like the look of the expedition vehicles as well as the rough and tumble nature. I don't want a fru-fru RV. The project will probably take around 2 years to complete.

This is sort of a rough version of what we would like to do. I feel our NPS can use this type of project that can highlight the national parks and keep them relevant to my generation (20-30 year olds). If you all have any feedback or some thoughts on what we could do please feel free to let me know. I appreciate all of the feedback you all have left in the past. The users on here rock!

adrenaline503

Explorer
Why would you want an off road centered vehicle to visit National Parks? Most if not all are serviced by paved roads, and once you are in them there is pretty much no off road driving to be done. If you wanted to toll around in those areas I could see it, but I would imagine 90% or more of your travels would be on highways or paved roads. Plus, if you plan to camp in the parks, vehicle size will be very important, if you cant get an RV spot there's not going to be a ton of room for GXV. I suppose I just don't understand your goal.

sojourner

Observer
Hi Everyone! So it's been awhile since I last updated. I kind of forgot about the idea there for awhile but I have revisited the idea. Instead of the original idea I would like to change it up a bit. What we would like to do is name the project It's America Project and visit every single National Park listing. This would included NP, NC, NM, and NHL. We are skipping over the National historic registry since that is well over 80,000 sites.

To do this project we are skipping the HEMTT idea and considering a GXV on a international frame. We like the look of the expedition vehicles as well as the rough and tumble nature. I don't want a fru-fru RV. The project will probably take around 2 years to complete.

This is sort of a rough version of what we would like to do. I feel our NPS can use this type of project that can highlight the national parks and keep them relevant to my generation (20-30 year olds). If you all have any feedback or some thoughts on what we could do please feel free to let me know. I appreciate all of the feedback you all have left in the past. The users on here rock!

You know what? I think this is a great idea. If you look at this from more of a sales and marketing stand point than dropping 200-300k on an rv, it makes sense. The first thing that comes to mind are the espn tour buses. They have them for the nfl http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5442859
and nba http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/specialsection/yournbadestination/
You could promote outdoor living, the parks, expedition travel, etc. If your demagraphic is 20-30's then you could go to summer and winter "x games" and promote there. I like the espn "tour" for the nba rv, obviously the tv "heads" didn't drive around in it, some poor sap did but the planned route is a good idea. You could promote this to sponsors by using equipment on the rig and advertisements on exterior graphics. Not sure if the national park service would promote such a venture but if so then that's a bonus. The hemtt would not a be a good platform as the military rig wouldn't fit as well as the expedition "look" would. I think it's an interesting idea and would like to hear more of your thoughts.

asdean

You know what? I think this is a great idea. If you look at this from more of a sales and marketing stand point than dropping 200-300k on an rv, it makes sense. The first thing that comes to mind are the espn tour buses. They have them for the nfl http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5442859
and nba http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/specialsection/yournbadestination/
You could promote outdoor living, the parks, expedition travel, etc. If your demagraphic is 20-30's then you could go to summer and winter "x games" and promote there. I like the espn "tour" for the nba rv, obviously the tv "heads" didn't drive around in it, some poor sap did but the planned route is a good idea. You could promote this to sponsors by using equipment on the rig and advertisements on exterior graphics. Not sure if the national park service would promote such a venture but if so then that's a bonus. The hemtt would not a be a good platform as the military rig wouldn't fit as well as the expedition "look" would. I think it's an interesting idea and would like to hear more of your thoughts.

That is exactly what we were thinking. When you consider that Yosemite this year is estimated to have 4 mil visitors as well as the other National Parks pulling impressive visitor numbers it just makes since. We would like to find sponsors for outdoor and adventure gear. I think it would be a awesome project and if we are able to get it off the ground I would love for you all to support us!

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Back in the hoary old days, a good friend and I were _that_ close to pulling the trigger on a similiar project, except we were going to use a T815 Tatra 8x8. We were going to do a video series on America, sponsored by Sony. The usual advertising splattered all over it, and then once the truck was done with that project (two years) it would have been converted into an independent race support truck for Baja races.

Then we figured out what a huge PITA it would be, and promptly shelved the idea, and got back to screwing around with Unimogs.:coffee:

I'm sure Mog remembers those days, and I'm equally sure Brad isn't anywhere to be found on this site, LOL.

Good days.

Among the other major issues, and possibly one of the most major - is maintenance. If you're the driver, can you change a tire yourself? If you can't, that vehicle is out of the running for me. There's a reason HEMTT's, LVS's, etc run in convoys, with recovery vehicles and crews....because you need a crew to repair and maintain them.

Fun to look at, fun to dream, but not practical. Sorry.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
... obviously the tv "heads" didn't drive around in it, some poor sap did...

Poor? You mean Lucky Sap don't you?

Heck if you need someone to do the driving, I am available, and have a lot of commercial driving experience. (including large heavy trucks in off road situations!)

Man this would be a great job for anyone who likes to see the out doors, in my opinion.

Not to mention, how neat would it be to say that you had been there, every time someone mentioned a national park! haha

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I've always thought this one was cool

XK9R5605.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

Among the other major issues, and possibly one of the most major - is maintenance. If you're the driver, can you change a tire yourself? If you can't, that vehicle is out of the running for me. There's a reason HEMTT's, LVS's, etc run in convoys, with recovery vehicles and crews....because you need a crew to repair and maintain them.

Fun to look at, fun to dream, but not practical. Sorry.

I have seen two females to a hemtt tire. Not as hard as you think if you know what you are doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven