Here goes nothing...2700 mile trip in an unknown van...what else to replace?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
My .02c

+1 for changing the shocks. Also if it has a DW issue I would consider also changing the front tires or at a minimum get the balance checked. When I picked the old Sportsmobile in Florida I did not have the luxury of doing a lot of work to it before I left. (check "Going Postal" in the Sportsmobile section). We worked on the important parts along the way. Changing shocks in a NAPA carpark in Alabama in the middle of summer sucked.

I do go along with the the guys who say don't over think it and do the minimum then fix what you really know about when you get home. Brakes, steering, suspension and then propulsion are the order I would look at before you head out. Stay away from the grease monkey style places. One of them stripped the drain plug in a transmission of mine, 2 hours before I was leaving on an overnight trip(Denver to Phoenix). I had to fill the box 6 times on the way. At least find someone who has a torque wrench (that is in you list of tools isn't it).

Also if you have time go onto ebay and pickup a set of service manuals. Get them delivered to the van as they are heavy to take on a plane. Some thing like this set http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Ford-Econoline-Van-Service-Shop-Repair-Manual-Set-/170721632107?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr&hash=item27bfcd5f6b Make sure you get the Electrical and Vacuum manual as a vehicle this old with as much vacuum operated stuff can have problems. Mine had numerous vacuum leaks that really sucked to find. If you cannot get the manuals then a subscription to AlldataDIY would be the next best thing.

After having done the fly buy thing a couple of times I would advise on just getting a vehicle shipped across the country. It only cost $1650 to have my ambulance shipped from near Baltimore to Phoenix. I could not of driven it for that cost let alone the added wear and tear. The sports mobile was different because we had accommodation for the trip so the cost was lower and we treated it as a vacation. But even with sleeping in the van every night and using points for flights I think it would of been cheaper to have it shipped. And I wouldn't of spent the equivalent of a day off my vacation working on the van in less than desirable circumstances.

DesertDrifter

Observer
Chad I'd be down to meet up. i'll hit ya up when I get the van on this coast.

OzRockRat - It is probably more practical to have the van shipped but I'm a sucker for an adventure and a gluton for punishment. Assuming I don't have any major issues on the road i'm hoping to do the trip for under $900 sleeping in the van every night and eating out of a cooler. Living the dream. Plus it will give me plenty of time to think about my build. :)

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Let me know the route, if you head south I might have to contact a guy with a crossmember I've been eyeing for my Astro (solid axle swap setup)

Malibusurfer

Drifter, Love the road trip!!!
Great adventure and "going for it"!!! Probably won't have one issue and just a fun time seeing the countryside!! Enjoy the ride and views!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal