HID or LED

• HID

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • LED

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters

leman

Adventurer
im debating running the 7" HIDx or the Rigid 10" spot. mainly will be used for going down dark state and county roads. i dont really need a close up light for rock climbing. (ive got something else up my sleeve for that.) also water resistance is a moderate concern.

and if it makes a difference the lights or light will be mounted on the bumper on a winch hoop.

the jeep its going on
CIMG1719.jpg

Skratch

Just my two cents, HID is fine for cars on the road but vehicles that see extreme conditions need better lighting that can take the abuse of weather and vibration.

LED's take the extremes of weather and vibration much better than any other light on the market today. And dollar for dollar, an LED light will give you more light output and longer life than an HID will.

Don't get me wrong, HID projectors are the way to go for focused high output light on the road . . . hence more and more buses and big trucks moving this direction.
But if you want high output, white light flood or driving capabilities, than LED is the way to go.

There is an LED conversion headlight for your Jeep too, not sure off the top of my head if it is street legal though.

leman

Adventurer
Just my two cents, HID is fine for cars on the road but vehicles that see extreme conditions need better lighting that can take the abuse of weather and vibration.

LED's take the extremes of weather and vibration much better than any other light on the market today. And dollar for dollar, an LED light will give you more light output and longer life than an HID will.

Don't get me wrong, HID projectors are the way to go for focused high output light on the road . . . hence more and more buses and big trucks moving this direction.
But if you want high output, white light flood or driving capabilities, than LED is the way to go.

There is an LED conversion headlight for your Jeep too, not sure off the top of my head if it is street legal though.

i saw the conversion but it would be way to expensive for the whole thing. and i dont think it really looks that good, as far as beam pattern

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I haven't seen any LED driving lights in person yet, but from what I've read, they look awsome.

I love the HID's in my XJ (headlight upgrade)

I went with the HI/LOW conversion (both beams are HID) so on low beam, I have great light, but I'm not melting the visors of small cars when I'm behind them:Wow1:

On HI, they're like having a spot/flood combo.

Had them for 3 years and no problems so far, but as Skratch said, for weather, abuse, and longevity, I think LED's would be the choice.

rezdiver

Adventurer
here are my trucklite LED headlights mounted externally. i run them on the hwy in conjunction with my existing headlights. very nice white beam. mine are actual headlights with high and low beam. price is something to be desired but you can find them on ebay cheap at times. the mounting brackets are really neat, they just sandwich the bare headlight with no housing.

these LED's are 7" replacement for stock round headlights

Attachments

• LED Mounted.jpg
    LED Mounted.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

cruiserlarry

One Crazy FJ
I have been a fan of HID lights for quite some time, and have tried virtually every model available to the consumer (and some that are not :ylsmoke:). I recently installed a custom Rigid 16" LED bar on the rear of my FJ Cruiser - it's a combination white flood light (for camp ground illumination and backing up) and amber strobe (to remain visible in dust and inclement weather). The Rigid light is amazing, but not without limitations. HIDs tend to have more usable "depth" to them; objects are more defined at distance with an HID, IMO. Both lights are efficient, electrically speaking; LED lights are very limited in mounting locations due to depth and linear shape. LEDs have much more "even" lighting - no hot spots. LEDs are also instant-on, while HIDs require a slight warm-up time. HIDs can be found for lower pries than LEDs, but good HIDs and good LEDs are equally expensive. And both worth it if you are serious about night driving.

Overall, LEDs are the up and coming technology - but I don't think they can completely replace a good set of HIDs yet. So, I'll continue to use both ...

Good luck on your decision. I'd suggest you go down to a store that is knowledgeable in both types of lights, and has different styles and sizes to play with. Seeing them work for yourself will make your choice easier, IMO.

sargeek

Adventurer
IMO -
LED - Great for close to medium range lighting needs, particular flood lights, rock lights, work lights, and general illumination. Relatively maintenance free, and low power consumers. Generate little heat on the lens, but the back side of the lights generate coniserable amounts of heat the need to be disapated. Newest technology, making considerable advances, but not quite up to true HID applications. You do not see OEM LED Headlights yet.

HID - Great for medium to long range lights. Headlights, Driving Lights and Long Distance pencil beams/spot lights are their best application. Best technology available at the time.

Halogen - Old School but effective. Best application at the moment - True FOG lights.

leman

Adventurer

leman

Adventurer
and i always hear about "warm up time" with HIDs. about how long does this take. and i know they dont like to be flipped on and off.

i don't know of a single Trophy Truck team that doesn't run HID lights,
and IMHO there is nothing harder on equipment than desert racing....

rezdiver

Adventurer
how about the military which have converted many of their lights to LED. they deal with extreme conditions i would assume.:)

gwhipp

Observer
I have 2 10" Rigid light bars mounted in the grill of my truck. After driving from Phoenix to Denver over the weekend, I would recommend the LEDs to anybody who drives at night. They are a BRIGHT light that really cover some distance. Instant light when you need it.

My lights are the older generation of Rigid Lights (~2.5 years old) and the new ones are even brighter.

I will try and post some pictures tomorrow.

Skratch

i don't know of a single Trophy Truck team that doesn't run HID lights,
and IMHO there is nothing harder on equipment than desert racing....

Obviously you haven't ever driven the "ice roads"

I spent a few years doing hard core desert driving, not quite racing, but the desert has nothing at all on running on ice covered roads when it's 40 below.

I can tell you the HID's on my friends Prevost didn't work half the time in that weather, but the LED drivers on my truck never failed once.

And how many of you are taking your Jeeps across the desert at those speeds to need something like the HID's they use, which are a far cry from the cheapos that keep getting suggested for use here.

Try comparing apples to apples . . . :rolleyes:

rezdiver

Adventurer
how did you find the LED's for icing up in the cold temps since they dont throw off much heat to melt the ice off the light?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner