High roof / low roof

Cole

Expedition Leader
Would love to hear comments from those with a high top and a 6" lift kit.

Curious how you think it would change anything? As long as the suspension is set up right and you don't pack all your weight up high it shouldn't matter.

I can tell you from personal experience in my Sprinter. If it's heavy, I set it on the floor:coffeedrink: The stuff that goes in the upper cabinets is 99% light stuff like clothing and bedding.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
I love my ambulance with the top. Not as tall as some, but enough for some clearance. Plus it has cool lights... :)

iw2dk6.jpg

BigDan

Observer
youll get 1000 answers and 1000 different opinions

Like Cole, I had a 94 Eurovan westfalia .....fully loaded with propane stove,sink, fridge etc...
on a 111 days roadtrip we raised the poptop 3 times only ....reasons : noise ,humidity and cold .....

noise : if you boondock in a Walmart for a night and want to sleep , forget raising the roof , if it rains , unless you have an auxiliary heater , forget about raising the roof because it will get damp in there , and lets`talk about if it gets cold outside ......

weither you have a raised roof or poptop , there will always be a good & downside to it ....your choice !

personnaly , we are a couple , no more kids id say a low raised roof would be my best bet !
we dint really felt like we needed to "walk" in a van ......but this is personnal choice !

Dan

Loving the unlimited car wash after 5+ years of climbing around manually spraying the high-top... Like the high-top when inside, but more of a camp-next-to type & rarely spend time hanging out inside - live in the desert...

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
They need to make taller car washes... Lots of trucks are 8'+.

Hand washed mine this evening after giving up on looking for some sort of wash.:D

Cole

Expedition Leader
You actually need a pretty plain Jane car to use an automated car wash these days. Roof racks and even aftermarket wheels can often get screwed up in a car wash. Hell, many stock radio antennas don't survive.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I'm so jealous of all you people that can stand up in high top vans haha - I looked at a high top yesterday, about the tallest fixed fiberglass top you usually see on vans, and couldn't come close to standing up, and that's without insulation installed yet.

And I'm only 6'2"

Cole

Expedition Leader
I'm 6'2" and can stand up in my 2004 Sprinter. The 2007+ is even taller inside.

I can also stand up in my Eurovan with the poptop up. Nowhere even close to the roof .

BSK

We just did a trip on the Northern California coast, vans everywhere. I was really checking out all the vans closely because we are working on ours at the moment, actually always. One thing my wife and I talked about was the different style of camping the high and low top created. When it got dark most high tops moved inside, there was some jealousy on the cold nights seeing the light on and people cooking away. Surprisingly I have really wanted a high top and my wife is very against it. She thinks that we will be too tempted to hang out inside more. We mostly use the van for week long trips. Her argument is that it will take us farther away from the camping expirience. I agree, however if you are on trips for longer periods or living out of your Van I would see a high top as a very worthy investment.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I'm 6'2" and can stand up in my 2004 Sprinter. The 2007+ is even taller inside.

I can also stand up in my Eurovan with the poptop up. Nowhere even close to the roof .

Yes, I love Sprinters for that. Just can't let go of the cheap 4wd option of the used domestic versions.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Yes, I love Sprinters for that. Just can't let go of the cheap 4wd option of the used domestic versions.

While I wish my van were 6x6 instead of 4x6:coffeedrink: I've been wheeling/rock crawlin for 25 years and can't honestly think of too many places where I really *need* 4wd in the van. So far we have takin to some fairly impressive places with just good tires and Dually.

The van is meant to be more of the base camp than the off road machine.

Still looking into converting it so that muddy roads and sandy beaches are easier. Though far from impossible now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz