Hodakaguy's Overland Tacoma Builds - On to new adventures!

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
What’s better on the rear camper door than...well a vinyl graphic of your own truck lol. A member on another forum made up a graphic out of one of my photo's and sent it to me, I used that image to cut the sticker out on a Plotter.

Doesn't look as plain now.

IMG_0311-X3.jpg

IMG_0315-X2.jpg

IMG_0317-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Sticker Version #2. While I liked the sticker on the camper door it wasn't quite what I wanted. It was missing the Snorkel (The graphic is from a photo before the snorkel was installed) and I didn't care for the swirly lines behind the truck/camper......sooooo off the sticker comes. Did a bit of work in the editing program and added in the Snorkel then cleaned up the lines behind the truck & Camper.....Diggin this version :)

I'll be making up a batch of patches and stickers soon as well :) Fun stuff.

First Version:

IMG_0328-X2.jpg

Removing the sticker is a pain...heat gun and patience.

IMG_0329-X2.jpg

And Version 2 installed:

IMG_0331-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Rivet Nuts or "Nut Sert's" as I call them are fabulous! It's great to see other builder's using this tool.

Rivet Nuts allow you to eliminate the scourge of the earth from your project "Sheetmetal Screws".

I have used Rivet Nuts exclusively on my vintage race cars as they allow easy installation and removal of a needed of the component attached to the vehicle without the hole "Stripping Out" that occurs with repeated use of a "Sheetmetal Screw" and/or the screw loosening due to vibration issues!

This tool should be standard equipment in any builder's tool box!

Last edited:

BlackdogGS

Observer
This is Ron from Adventure rider. I met you a few times when you were into dual sport bikes. I have a few questions as I'm about to buy a TRD off road in cement of course. Did you take a huge hit on gas milage with the bigger tires? I did something similar on a Ranger, I re-geared to 4:88's and installed 33's and my milage went from high teens to 11mpg on a normal day.
Did you consider a long bed when you bought? So many pros and cons.
Since were close what dealer did you use?

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Rivet Nuts or "Nut Sert's" as I call them are fabulous! It's great to see other builder's using this tool.

Rivet Nuts allow you to eliminate the scourge of the earth from your project "Sheetmetal Screws".

I have used Rivet Nuts exclusively on my vintage race cars as they allow easy installation and removal of a needed of the component attached to the vehicle without the hole "Stripping Out" that occurs with repeated use of a "Sheetmetal Screw" and/or the screw loosening due to vibration issues!

This tool should be standard equipment in any builder's tool box!

Agreed. Rivet Nuts are awesome.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
This is Ron from Adventure rider. I met you a few times when you were into dual sport bikes. I have a few questions as I'm about to buy a TRD off road in cement of course. Did you take a huge hit on gas milage with the bigger tires? I did something similar on a Ranger, I re-geared to 4:88's and installed 33's and my milage went from high teens to 11mpg on a normal day.
Did you consider a long bed when you bought? So many pros and cons.
Since were close what dealer did you use?
I d

Nice to see another ADV member on here :) With the 285/75-R16's and 4.88 gearing my father is getting 18mpg, I'm currently getting 15-16mpg with the camper on the back of mine. I wanted the short bed for the shorter wheel base and better turning radius, I do like the utility of the long bed but on a day to day basis I prefer the short bed. I purchased mine down in Bend Or since they were the only dealer that had exactly what I wanted, my father picked his up here in Kennewick.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Cab mount chop time.....

As the suspension has settled in and we've added more weight to the front of the trucks we've been getting occasional rubbing at full turn on the cab mounts. Time to trim back the cab mounts for more clearance.

Starting on my dads truck first, drivers side.

P5181915-X2.jpg

Tire removed. You can see the marks where the tire has been rubbing on the cab mount (Blue Arrows).

P5181918-X2.jpg

P5181917-X2.jpg

We covered the suspension in a heavy plastic bag to keep metal dust off during the cutting process, we also loosened the bottom of the inner fender liner and tied it up out of the way.

P5181926-X2.jpg

P5181926-X2.jpg

Marked out our cut lines. Will be trimming as much as we can for max clearance.

P5181925-X2.jpg

Getting down to business with a Skinny Wheel.

P5181936-X2.jpg

P5181930-X2.jpg

Cutting finished.

P5181950-X2.jpg

P5181957-X2.jpg

P5181956-X2.jpg

My father cutting out a paper pattern so we can make up a new metal plate.

P5181945-X2.jpg

P5181946-X2.jpg

Cutting out the new plate.

P5181958-X2.jpg

P5181966-X2.jpg

Continued Below....

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued from above...

Getting ready to weld the plate onto the cab mount. My father wrapped a piece of leather around the cab mount bushing to help protect it from the heat, he then routed it down through the lower access hole. After the plate is welded in place you just pull on the leather and it will come right out.

P5181963-X2.jpg

Welding the new plate in place.

P5181968-X2.jpg

P5181969-X2.jpg

P5181974-X2.jpg

Primed and Painted.

P5181988-X2.jpg

While I was here I decided to fold over the factory pinch weld a bit for extra clearance, hasn't been rubbing here but it's extra insurance and easy to do.

P5181991-X2.jpg

P5181992-X2.jpg

Next is to re-install the inner fender liner. The liner had been touching the tire slightly in one spot, there is a bulge that sticks out but has nothing under it. I used a heat gun and re-shaped it by pushing the bulge in and holding it till cool. Instant clearance.

P5182005-X2.jpg

P5182008-X2.jpg

And the tire back on the truck. Plenty of clearance now on the cab mount. I got a little sloppy with the paint on this one....I'll mask it off better on the passenger side.

Out of time for today....More to come..

Hodakaguy

lactic

How did you fold the seam over? I recently did the cab mount chop but would like to tackle the seam and trim next.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
How did you fold the seam over? I recently did the cab mount chop but would like to tackle the seam and trim next.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set of large flat nose pliers, just grabbed the weld and started working it over. Move up and down and only bend a little at a time, only took a couple minutes.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Made a quick trip down to the Evergreen Air and Space Museum and water park this weekend in McMinnville OR. The Museum is defiantly a must see...although this time we were after the water park for the kiddo :)

Arriving at the Museum...you can see the Spruce Goose though the glass.

IMG_0502-X2.jpg

At the water park before opening, all the tube rides originate from up inside the 747 on the roof! Very cool.

IMG_0506-X2.jpg

Out back of the Museum is a Rutan Starship! This plane is way to cool and rare to be sitting out in the rain.

IMG_0510-X2.jpg

Setting up "camp" for the day at the water park. The camper is nice for a home base.

IMG_0564-X2.jpg

Inside the water park. The air and water are both very warm....nice!

IMG_0540-X2.jpg

IMG_0541-X2.jpg

We didn't have time to go into the Air and Space museum this time around but I've been there several times in the past. If you haven't been here before it's a must see. Here's a couple shots of the Spruce Goose from a previous trip.

IMG_0557-X2.jpg

IMG_0556-X2.jpg

On the way home we stopped for a few quick photos along the way :)

The first picture is straight out of camera with an in camera filter applied, Olympus EM1 and Oly 75mm F1.8 Lens (had a couple questions about the camera setup). Mt Hood in the background.

P5262058-X2.jpg

P5262050%20-1-X2.jpg

P5262063-X2.jpg

P5262079-X2.jpg

Fun stuff.

Hodakaguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman

Members online