Holes in RTT Floor?

Scottydog13

Observer
I am new to RTT camping. I have a Mombasa Expedition Series and would like to rig a hanging system from the floor of the overhang portion of the floor. My thought is to secure two lengths of angle iron that is pre-drilled with holes to the floor running parallel to the ladder approximately 34" apart and 36" long. Then I have an endless supply of anchor points to hang "stuff". I thought I could use this to hang a suspension net for shoes and what-not. I could hang 4 long hooked rods and attach to a shelf with eye-bolts to make a work table for cooking that would be under the shelter of the tent...and the list of attachments goes on.

My question...FINALLY...Is there an issue putting maybe 3 holes (bolts) in each strip? Not like it would need to be water proof. Just not sure what the floor is made from.

stingray1300

Explorer
It should be the same way the mounting channels are attached, right? My only suggestion is to spend a few extra pennies and get a piece of aluminum angle instead of steel - so many issues you will avoid by doing so. Also, just make sure your angle doesn't rub the travel cover when everything is closed up.

Scottydog13

Observer
Yeah, my plans was to use aluminum. I'll have to check on the cover rubbing issue. That could be a problem for sure.
thanks

compactcamping

Explorer
Ideally you would want to run the strips the long direction of the base to spread the load across multiple floor supports. Problem with that is the strips would interfere with the ladder.

The floor has 1x1 square tube stringers running the short direction of the base with foam board between them. You would need to find and make sure your bolt are in the stringers.

For lighter stuff like a shoe hammock the track around the perimeter of the base can be used to hang stuff

compactcamping

Explorer
Here is what the Track Slides look like, the HDPE tubing is what secures the loops in the track

tent-awning-track-hanger.jpg

Scottydog13

Observer
Had my RTT out this past weekend and saw the channel where the tubing fits. Genius idea. I bought some tubing and made myself about a dozen of these. Maybe I will make a lot more and take to the Overland Expo in Asheville, NC this October...maybe even hand them out for free...Pay if forward!
Channel Loops.jpg

Last edited:

compactcamping

Explorer
Had my RTT out this past weekend and saw the channel where the tubing fits. Genius idea. I bought some tubing and made myself about a dozen of these. Maybe I will make a lot more and take to the Overland Expo in Asheville, NC this October...maybe even hand them out for free...Pay if forward!

Yep, easy to make, especially if you have 1/8" paracord laying around.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Ideally you would want to run the strips the long direction of the base to spread the load across multiple floor supports. Problem with that is the strips would interfere with the ladder.

The floor has 1x1 square tube stringers running the short direction of the base with foam board between them. You would need to find and make sure your bolt are in the stringers.

For lighter stuff like a shoe hammock the track around the perimeter of the base can be used to hang stuff

Great idea. I have an ARB Simpson and might have to modify the location since the entry point into the tent seems to be different.
Where did you get the hammock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal