Home Built RTT Bed Rack, Pictures

Tanner

Observer
Somewhat new to the forum, been lurking for quite some time. I have an 07 DCLB I'm going to set up for camping. I decided to get a rooftop tent, I built the rack for it this weekend, thought I would post it. Its similar to the one AllPro sells.

I used 2 1/2" x 1/4" angle for the rails, 1 5/16" for the main tubes and 1 1/8" for the top. Kind of odd sizes but it's all the machine shop I deal with had at the time.

I don't have a tube bender, so I filled the tubes with sand and capped the ends then heated them and pulled them around by hand. It took a little longer but I was happy with the results.

I bent the pipe the same angle as the back window, and kept it fairly low so the tent wouldn't be up so high when closed up. Haven't got the tent yet but i believe its 12", the rack is about 14" to the top.

I slotted the holes just to make it a little easier to get the bolts started.

Primed

Never finished painting it, but thats how it sits on the truck. I left it a bit shorter to save a little weight as Ill mostly be putting it on and off myself. Its 56" long.

Tanner

Observer
Also if anyone here is running a Tepui Kukenam please let me know how you like it. Thats the tent I'm planning on going with!

Mexican-redneck

Rack looks good, clean and simple.
I'm planning to do something very similar for my truck if/when I get an RTT. Except I'm getting the XL version.
I think I'm gonna cut out the angle iron in the inside except
For where it mounts to the bed so I can still use the tie down system.

Tanner

Observer
I may do the same thing! I'm almost considering bringing the bars along the top out the back and then bend them down. I'm thinking Ill make a Canvas top to snap over it in the future to keep a bit of the weather out, any thoughts. Excuse my drawing, I'm no artist haha

2scars

Adventurer
Kukenam is great, no problems with mine. Your rack looks cool, definitely dig the ingenuity with filling the tubes with sand.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Nice rack! :elkgrin:

I've had my Tepui Kukenam for a a few years now and like it alot. No issues during rain storms, stays relatively cool and dry even during the few hot days Maine gets. I kept warm when I woke up to a surprising snow cover. Plenty of room for 2 plus a pitty. Mine gets alot of use with little to no problems. Keep up with general cleaning and try and get a condensation mat with it. Keep the zipper lubed with your favorite slippery stuff.

Tanner

Observer
Kukenam is great, no problems with mine. Your rack looks cool, definitely dig the ingenuity with filling the tubes with sand.

It took a little longer, but I was happy with the results so it was worth it. I may try and make some sliders the same way in the next few weeks.

Nice rack! :elkgrin:

I've had my Tepui Kukenam for a a few years now and like it alot. No issues during rain storms, stays relatively cool and dry even during the few hot days Maine gets. I kept warm when I woke up to a surprising snow cover. Plenty of room for 2 plus a pitty. Mine gets alot of use with little to no problems. Keep up with general cleaning and try and get a condensation mat with it. Keep the zipper lubed with your favorite slippery stuff.

Thanks haha :sombrero:
That's great to hear! I can't wait to get mine, just kind of waiting for the winter to settle down before I order. Record snowfall here again this year. I'm pretty set on the Kukenam, my only real debate is to spend the extra money on the ruggedized version or not :campfire:

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Didja hafta dig a tunnel to your car or truck? :Wow1:
It's nice the Ruggedized comes with the mat, and is built a wee bit stronger for tough offroading and such, but it comes with the added price tag. Not saying that's bad either.
When I built my bedrack for my 01 DC I made it so the tent sticks up half it's height above the roof, while still allowing me easy set-up/closure. I also have mine fold out to the rear providing me some shelter over the tailgate while I cook.

RINZLER

Outdoor Enthusiast
Nothing describes home built better than bending tube with your own hands haha! That's pretty cool man and as mentioned before, I like the sand idea! Rack is looking good tho, should be a nice height, looks slightly higher than mine. Cant go wrong with anything Tepui either, I love my Autana Ruggedized.

Tanner

Observer
Didja hafta dig a tunnel to your car or truck? :Wow1:
It's nice the Ruggedized comes with the mat, and is built a wee bit stronger for tough offroading and such, but it comes with the added price tag. Not saying that's bad either.
When I built my bedrack for my 01 DC I made it so the tent sticks up half it's height above the roof, while still allowing me easy set-up/closure. I also have mine fold out to the rear providing me some shelter over the tailgate while I cook.

The snow this year has been crazy haha, I'm thinking I'll put mine out the back too and maybe an awning on the side!
This is my girlfriend and I a few months ago, I'm just about 6ft tall. This a drift they blew through.

Tanner

Observer
Nothing describes home built better than bending tube with your own hands haha! That's pretty cool man and as mentioned before, I like the sand idea! Rack is looking good tho, should be a nice height, looks slightly higher than mine. Cant go wrong with anything Tepui either, I love my Autana Ruggedized.

I checked out your truck the other night on here, awesome build and great looking truck.

CMC*

Great job, Tanner! The rack looks great, and you have that much more satisfaction of doing it yourself rather than buying one. If you don't mind me asking, how much money did you spend in materials?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater