Home Made Jumping Jack Style????

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
I like the idea of the Jumping Jack trailer. But I don't have the 5k floating around. I purchased a 5x8 utility trailer. Looking at building a platform on top, So I can put a Spring bar tent on the platform. The base for the tent is 9x13. I was going to make it hang a little out the back but I am trying to come up with an idea to make a dual slide out from the platform. I was going to make it out of wood first to see if I like the idea and slowly work on making it out of metal. I would like to stor the tent on the trailer base and unhook it from the slides. Any ideas would be great. Open to any thing, my brain is just burned out. Thanks for looking/thinking

Waygoner

Observer
I considered a similar set up for the trailer I built. I never did find a suitable tent for the dimensions I was working with. My 1st thought was to attach plywood via a hinge to each edge of the trailer bed sides. Fold them flat on top the of the trailer went not in use, fold out when you put up the tent. You could also set them upright so they act as bed sides when not in use. Another thought I had was to use pop-up camper slides. You've got roughly 2' of overhang to deal with that's going to make it tricky. If you consider another tent you might look at the Kodiak canvas truck tents. There is a post on the top thread of trailer builds. Looked like a nice solution.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
I too am in the same design phase... I like the J.J. platforms & the way they deploy. Hopefully I can mimic that & then find an appropiate sized tent...
Mine will be off a truckbed trailer, if I ever get my ******** in gear.

Good luck...
Curt

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I too am in the same design phase... I like the J.J. platforms & the way they deploy. Hopefully I can mimic that & then find an appropiate sized tent...
Mine will be off a truckbed trailer, if I ever get my ******** in gear.

Good luck...
Curt

i had a similar idea using a service utility bed or truck bed trailer but having the run front to rear leaving enough tent hanging over the tail gate area light a changing room or sitting area.

off-road man

I am in the same boat, I like the JJ trailer design but already have a 7'X12" 2 place atv trailer so would like to convert to JJ style. Need ideas for tents???

k9lestat

Expedition Leader

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
I like those tents. One of the reasons I am looking at the springbar tents is there is no guide wires for the fly or for support. I have had a few ideas not much off the basic ones attach legs to the base of the trailer for support of the fold out platform. The more I think about pull out slides it will just wiegh too much. I appreciate all the input from everyone. I am still working on different ideas. will post pics when I start with the build. I did pick up 3 of these crates to store camping gear under the tent platform. It will leave me about 1.5 ft of room if I use all three of them.IMAG2031.jpgIMAG2031.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scolpax