Home made tent platform?

pixeldzn

Observer
Has anyone ever seen, or tried to make a simple platform for a trailer that could be deployed and then a standard tent secured to it?

I would love to purchase a RTT, but just can't justify it at this point as I don't camp more than a few times a year. My goal is just to get my tent up off the ground, and have a conversation piece to boot.

So, any ideas on how to properly attack such an idea?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
pixeldzn said:
Has anyone ever seen, or tried to make a simple platform for a trailer that could be deployed and then a standard tent secured to it?

I would love to purchase a RTT, but just can't justify it at this point as I don't camp more than a few times a year. My goal is just to get my tent up off the ground, and have a conversation piece to boot.

So, any ideas on how to properly attack such an idea?

Safari Trailers http://www.safaritrailers.com/ used to use a very simple platform that basically had a dome tent on it.

The platform was hinged in the same way a RTT base is and the "ground tent" was secured to the platform. If you use a Bow tent once the platform is open and fully supported ( in their case with a ladder) all you would have to do is put in the fiberglass poles.

Safari Trailers had a slight adaptation on this simple platform that allowed it to be used as a roof rack when folded away.

What sort of trailer do you have? We just had a discussion about a RTT and an instant set (pop up) tent on it...

You could do the platform in a number of ways. 5/8" plywood (actually thicker would be better) would be plenty to hold your weight. Look into getting treated or "marine" grade. Seal it pretty good if you plan on leaving it on the trailer and outside. Figure out some heavy duty hinges, and make some support arms (for the free end). Maybe a frame under the plywood to keep it straight and support your weight better. Fab up a ladder to get in and you should be set.

pixeldzn

Observer
My trailer is a home built one with a 4x4 box, so if I built a platform say 6x8, that folds to 6x4, I think it could work out quite nicely. I guess I would just have to source a tent that has a rectangular footprint before I decide to build a platform.

pixeldzn said:
My trailer is a home built one with a 4x4 box, so if I built a platform say 6x8, that folds to 6x4, I think it could work out quite nicely. I guess I would just have to source a tent that has a rectangular footprint before I decide to build a platform.

I have been really impressed with my Coleman Sundome. "Keeps you dry guaranteed". I have the 7x7 version that sleeps three, but they have a 7x5 2 person, 9x7 4person, and larger. The 7x7 only cost me $39 at Academy. Vents very well, even in rain. And yes, it has kept me dry in the two decent rainstorms i've been in. BUT, I can't say much for durability because I have only had it since spring and camped only 6-8 times. But, it still looks brand new. I bought another one for when friends want to go camping too.

At the price, you could pick up 4 of them.Coleman.com - Family Tents - The greatest name in camping gear

NOTE: Online price is higher than at academy.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:
Safari Trailers http://www.safaritrailers.com/ used to use a very simple platform that basically had a dome tent on it.

The platform was hinged in the same way a RTT base is and the "ground tent" was secured to the platform. If you use a Bow tent once the platform is open and fully supported ( in their case with a ladder) all you would have to do is put in the fiberglass poles.

Safari Trailers had a slight adaptation on this simple platform that allowed it to be used as a roof rack when folded away.

Some good design points...what type of column hot water heater is that atop the tri-pod?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal