Home Solar Panels vs. RV Solar Panels??

Josh41

Adventurer
I have built a few systems for past campers with Renogy 100 or 180 watt panels, with a charge controller to a 12V battery (100ah or maybe larger). I run a Dometic fridge, and then small loads like Fantastic fan, LED lights, and charge phones.
I have a new trailer that I need to build a system for. I am seeing some Panasonic and Q-CEll panels that will fit my space that produce 320 to 420 watts and about the same price as the Renogy 180 to 200 watt price.

Any one have any experience taking the residential panels on the road?
TIA
Camper Roof.jpg

SquirrelZ

I have a residential panel installed on the roof of my van. Like most things, there are different levels of quality in solar panels. Mine was recommended to me by a neighbor that does residential and commercial building solar installs for a living. It has more robust construction for northern climates where snow and ice accumulation can cause problems for less sturdy panels.

OBTW, you'll need a higher end MPPT charge controller for the higher voltage of a 60 cell panel.

Last edited:

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
I recently replaced the 240 watt panel on my astrovan with a LG 365 watt panel, I had the 240 watt on the roof for about 7 years and never had problems with it. The 365 watt panel seems to be more robust and sturdy then the 240 watt panel. Excellent performance in winter (southern california) out of the LG, even flat on the roof I'm getting about 15 amps of charge power to my 3s li-ion battery bank (with the 240 watt I was getting 10 amps) .
These larger panels are in the 40 volt range and will work with any pwm or mppt controller as long as it can handle the max voltage and amps output.

size comparison
1 240 365 panels.jpg

365 watt panel on roof
1 roof panel 365a.jpg

llamalander

Home solar panels work great! The higher voltage means you will be producing sufficient voltage to charge (+14v) in poorer conditions than a "12v" RV panel.
I have a 40+ watt Canadian Solar 310w panel on the roof of my truck that is undamaged by several years of really bad roads. I found it as a cast-off from an install that required paired panels, cost about $0.50/watt.
Paired with a Victron MPPT and a small Blue Sea battery combiner, it has kept my starter battery and AGM house battery full come rain or shine. Sturdy enough to transport plywood too, as it turns out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach