Hood scoops for a van.

hobietony

Explorer
Further data points - All the Tucson city Ford-van based small shuttle vans, and many of the local private ambulance services, (all of the vintage to have the 6.0), have hood vents facing backwards to allow heat to escape from the engine bay. They use two of the ambo-type vents, like the type shown below, mounted high on the hood, facing the windshield, and have a 4" opening (maybe a little under that?). As many have stated, the problem with these vans is not with getting enough air in, but with getting enough air out. You could take pressure measurements, or you could just follow the lead of several individuals and municipal agencies that have seen positive results from installing hood vents in an area that allow further airflow through the engine bay. This location is especially useful in slow speed/traffic/rock crawling applications where there is no vehicle-generated airflow to move air through the bay
m_P8030034_zpsee6035f7.jpg

-
Vents on my rig
m_IMG_0152_zpsea150516.jpg

-
And for those concerned about water getting in the engine bay, what do you think happens to the water that flows into that big radiator opening in the front of the vehicle when you drive in the rain? It is blown back on to the engine. It is not the Wicked Witch of the West, it wont melt if a little water flows into the bay, and the ambo-type vents are elevated above the hood so water ingress is minimized further when parked.

derjack

Adventurer
Cooling.jpg
I am absolutely fine if you cut holes into your hoods and it definitely looks cool. But having a cooling benefit of it is not that easy as the mentioned articles shows.

And still: First you need to figure out which temps are out of green level (if they are at all). And after that go from there, before you've cut a hole. The doc I meant was this one. You can see that oil and water cooler variant from engine type to engine type (also from generation to generation, on the 7.3 e.g.).

- On a too high water temp I would go for a fan upgrade (more air flow with more/better fang wings e.g.). I expect a ventilated hood can help also.
- On a too high oil temp I would expect driving even without a hood would not help. I would go for a bigger/additional oil cooler. And bad oil could cause a lot of bad problems. And Oil is expensive- keeping oil cool ensures a better (oil) lifetime.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
this mentioned the temps under the Hood. I think we are concerned about the temps inside the engine.

And when you say "we", you mean "you," because the original post specifically mentions the desire to reduce underhood temperatures, and specifically mentions NOT being concerned about overheating issues. The 6.0 is not known to have overheating issues, but everyone who drives one is keenly aware of the amount of heat it puts off into the cabin due to being a large engine stuffed into a small space. Those that live in very hot climates, such as Arizona, desire to reduce underhood temps to help dissipate heat buildup under the hood, and subsequently, heat transfer into the cabin. How this turned into an engine cooling system debate is unclear to me.

Shlaytim

AZBADAZ
I should have done this sooner!

I finally decided to pull the trigger on the Run Cool hood loovers for my van. Was not sure spending $192.00 for hood loovers was worth it and if I would get any return on my investment. I am an idiot for waiting so long to do this to my van and FORD should have done this from the factory. I installed the vents and its as if my van is on steroids....seriously, the fan cycles a third of the time it use too, and my a/c blows colder then it ever has. Temps here in Phoenix have been 107* & 112* off and on for the last month, so I put a thermometer under the hood and would check the temps after driving to and from work - 26 miles each way - to see just how hot it is under the hood. Thermometer reads to 300* and that would be pegged out on my drive home, but in the mornig it would be around 280*, so used that as my average. This is with max a/c on in stop/go traffic both ways. This last week with the same drive distance and conditions, I never expected to see what I have seen, morning temps never got above 220* and afternoon temps never got past 250*, a/c was cold enough that i had to turn the fan to medium speed because I was getting a chill, and I only have front a/c sadly. I am completely blown away by this, 60* cooler under the hood and who knows how much cooler then my after noon drive home:wings:. Run Cool has a customer for life now and I am going to order a set for my Jeep as well. Anyone questioning if they are worth it, trust me, they are! A big thanks to all that have suggested them, I just wish I had done this sooner.
photo 1.jpg

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Seems like a worthy investment.
Are there any worries about water entering?
How did you tackle cutting the fiberglass hood?
Apron time of install?
Thanks.

Shlaytim

AZBADAZ
No woories about water, figured a car wash or a heavy rain with the stock/un-cut hood wouldnt cause failure, these couldnt be much worse. As far as cutting the hood, I used my 4 1/2" angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel, cut like butter. Be sure to measure 2,3,4,..20 times like I did (a bit ocd). install time was about 1hr 20min, from start to finish including layout and measureing a bunch and cleaning up.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Looking nice! I too couldnt justify the $$ for them but after your writeup, I think I may have to bite the bullet not to mention they look bad*ss! Rivet gun needed for the install?

Shlaytim

AZBADAZ
Looking nice! I too couldnt justify the $$ for them but after your writeup, I think I may have to bite the bullet not to mention they look bad*ss! Rivet gun needed for the install?

Thanks and you wont be disappointed. money well spent I think. The loovers came with a bag of rivets and the proper drill bit to drill each hole. The rivets are not long enough to go through both layers of the hood, but i installed them anyway just into the first layer of the hood. Had the van up to 90mph with no deflection or any movement in the hood. And to answer your question, yes you need a rivet gun to install them:) I got one cheap from HF.

philos

Explorer
Any closer pics? Pics from underneath would be awesome too if you have 'em...
Looks like I'll be adding to my junkyard list!

Sent via flux capacitor

Jb1rd

Explorer
Good for Gas Engines?

Would there be benefit adding these to a gas engine (460)? Seems like there is a good bit of heat that transfers into the cab from the dog house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater