How are Hiker Trailers built?

socceronly

I searched, but didn't see anything on how those are constructed.

Aluminum outside.... but is there a steel/aluminum frame? Wood monocoque?

Been digging through all the different teardrop build methods.... lots of ways to skin a cat (where does that horrible expression come from anyway)

Just curious.

Thanks
JM

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Are you looking at the Hiker Off-Road? It’s plywood with a skin. They’re very responsive to emails.

socceronly

Are you looking at the Hiker Off-Road? It’s plywood with a skin. They’re very responsive to emails.

I was curious. I have recommended HT to several people. As I learn more about different build types for campers, I was wondering what I was recommending.

I looked around, but didn't see anything that clearly described it.

Thanks!
Jamie

socceronly

Also check on YouTube...I seem to recall plenty of videos that show Hiker Trailers.

Yes some good ones. People sure love them. I watched several but most only commented on the aluminum skin.

I could hazard a guess given there is no insulation and the wood interior that it was skinned wood.... but didn't want to make any assumptions.

:)

rkendall

I searched, but didn't see anything on how those are constructed.

Aluminum outside.... but is there a steel/aluminum frame? Wood monocoque?

Been digging through all the different teardrop build methods.... lots of ways to skin a cat (where does that horrible expression come from anyway)

Just curious.

Thanks
JM
What I have found out is that they are 3/4” 7 layer plywood with an aluminum skin, and they are not insulated. I was looking at them now I believe I am going to go with Escapade trailer.

billiebob

lots of ways to skin a cat (where does that horrible expression come from
Goes way back to mule teams pulling wagons. Inexperienced a muleteer could cut a mules hide with his whip. Hence mule skinner.... somehow cat operators got called cat skinners.

cut & paste... from 1881.

"The Indian troubles of last year [in the Arizona Territory] have tended to make, not only every soldier, but every teamster, wood chopper, burropuncher, mule-skinner, bull-whacker and all other men—traveling arsenals; with a belt about the waist loaded with cartridges, a pair of six-shooters, a formidable knife and a rifle for long range."

Written 140 years ago.... it might not sound politically correct.

1880 overland guide.jpeg

Last edited:

billiebob

From the Hiker web site

• We insulate the roofs of our trailers during construction. The walls are not insulated and are constructed of 3/4" 7-layer plywood. The trailer has an overall R value of approximately 2.
Insulation in a box thats 5x5x9 is not really required, They are definitely warmer than a tent.
And since 3/4" plywood is usually 6ply, the 7ply is likely a better quality, not quite Baltic Birch but a step up from GIS.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC