How are those newer Tacos working out?

Rivers2run

Observer
I have a 2003 Taco that I dearly love everything works I put in a new OME suspension, have a more powerful alternator. I like that I can toss off my seatbelt when on rough roads and it doesn't scream at me. Air down without alerts. Oversize tire no complaints. I like the smaller size, shorter wheelbase. I know eventually good things must come to an end. I have 151k on it. How are those newer computers working, are the computers working well with modifications? Oversize tires, air downed tires, other changes. I've been a bit leery of the fancier computers, so feedback?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I have a 2003 Taco that I dearly love everything works I put in a new OME suspension, have a more powerful alternator. I like that I can toss off my seatbelt when on rough roads and it doesn't scream at me. Air down without alerts. Oversize tire no complaints. I like the smaller size, shorter wheelbase. I know eventually good things must come to an end. I have 151k on it. How are those newer computers working, are the computers working well with modifications? Oversize tires, air downed tires, other changes. I've been a bit leery of the fancier computers, so feedback?

Your truck uses computers. Don’t be afraid.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
I have defeated all of the buzzers and alarms in my 2007 Gen 2. I also have a dedicated 3" non-retracting lap belt to keep me secure when offroad. I only use the OEM harness for street driving. My ABS is also disabled.

Rivers2run

Observer
I have defeated all of the buzzers and alarms in my 2007 Gen 2. I also have a dedicated 3" non-retracting lap belt to keep me secure when offroad. I only use the OEM harness for street driving. My ABS is also disabled.
Thank you! This what I wanted to know. My mechanic says rebuild rather than upgrade, just wanted to know about newer models. I don't want something that will over ride my decisions. Ive never driven newer model so I don't know.

TernOverland

Most of what you dislike can be defeated if you search out the means. The later the model year, the more work you will have to do. There is nothing newer than my truck that I would spend the money on. Instead of building in real improvements in recent years, they load up the newer models with electronic gadetry. It's just more stuff for me track down and disable. LIttle things annoy me like the AC coming on automatically with the window defroster. I know when to use it, and I'm plenty capable of deciding for myself when I want it. I disabled that "feature" too. I've also eliminated the electric 4wd system.

If you love what you have, I would consider putting your money there. I don't plan on ever "upgrading" my truck to a newer model. If anything I would go back a few years and pick up a gently used Gen 1 Tundra.

roving1

How do you defeat how fugly as hell the new trucks are?

....runs and hides lol.

I have a 2002 with 150K and I just drove to Mexico with no issues. I'm rebuilding this truck untill the end of time. You can't even buy a regular cab anymore if you want to. It would take a clean sheet redisign to even get me thinking. Torquey turbo 4 (since diesel will dead soon) and 8-10 speed or a nice manual trans But still probably never. I'd rather spend the money on a Tacoma Habitat for my current truck.

But I am not a current model owner so I will go away now lol. But it's not much of a ringing endorsement to have to defeat 20 things that suck in a brand new vehicle.

TernOverland

How do you defeat how fugly as hell the new trucks are?

....runs and hides lol.

I have a 2002 with 150K and I just drove to Mexico with no issues. I'm rebuilding this truck untill the end of time. You can't even buy a regular cab anymore if you want to. It would take a clean sheet redisign to even get me thinking. Torquey turbo 4 (since diesel will dead soon) and 8-10 speed or a nice manual trans But still probably never. I'd rather spend the money on a Tacoma Habitat for my current truck.

But I am not a current model owner so I will go away now lol. But it's not much of a ringing endorsement to have to defeat 20 things that suck in a brand new vehicle.

It's probably my own particular mental illness. I don't want the truck doing things that I don't initiate. I don't want a nanny truck either. I appreciate real goods, like a strong torquey engine, a perfectly matched transmission, tuned suspension. I've gone to great expense of time and treasure to learn how to drive vehicles: Offroad racing, sports car racing, motorcycle racing. I don't want E-help. At this point I have more work in my truck than Toyota has. I know I'm an anomaly in the buying market, or things wouldn't be sliding the way they are.

I think the Gen1 trucks are really sharp! I like the styling much better than Gen 2 or 3.

Watt maker

I have 4 co-workers with 3rd gen tacomas and all of them seem to be doing great. I believe one of them has around 60k on it, nothing but regular maintenance. As for me, I don't like how the 3.5 throttle mapping is, the transmission tuning and it doesn't have any low end power. I much prefer the 1GR 4.0/5-speed auto in my 2008 4runner and the 2nd gen Taco. I'm also not crazy on the looks of the 3rd gen but with tasteful mods, they actually look good. I do think Toyota hit a home-run with the dash and the interior, I really like that part of the 3rd gen taco. I do believe you can disable the seat belt alarm through TIS in the 3rd gen Taco, I know I can on my 2017 Tundra at least.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Your truck uses computers. Don’t be afraid.
It's certainly a sliding scale. It's obvious when you take several individual points but the change is continuous. I owned a 1991 truck for a long time, bought a 2001 Tacoma TRD to replace it and ended up a year later selling the 2001 and buying a 2008 TRD Offroad.

When you look generally the 2005-2008 Tacoma isn't that much different than a 2002-2004 in complexity, at least at the base level. The 1991 was quite a bit more simple than my 2001 Tacoma and even more so against my 2008. But all my trucks have been manual transmissions, so that's one major computer complexity that hasn't changed. Both my '01 and '08 have power windows and locks, just two forward air bags, plain old radios, vacuum boosters (no TRAC on either). The only major thing that added complexity between the two Tacos is the stupid electric shift transfer case on the 2005+.

But think about it generally. The Tacoma went to cartridge unit front wheel bearings, which aren't field serviceable like the 79-95 trucks that still used loose taper bearings. The 1986+ trucks got IFS so there's no real difference in having steering links and ball joints and alignment issues. The older trucks had a simple ECU that didn't strictly need a diagnostic computer like the 1995+ trucks with OBD-II do. In that vein the 1GR-FE has almost no distributor, vacuum valves or a mess of a harness like the 3.4L since it was designed with the ability to meet emissions from the very start, so the diagnostics on it are actually simpler. In my experience it's comes down to two things, has the crank sensor or ignition coil pack failed? Otherwise it's the same mechanical issues as ever, rings, cams, chains.

My reasoning for jumping from the 1991 to 2001 and finally the 2008 was everything eventually wears out. My 1991 was at the point to continue to rely on it meant more serious rebuilding. Everything wears out. Everything. If you want to keep your 1st gen Tacoma forever you will eventually hit a point when you need to do a partial or maybe full frame-off. Rust, rust, rust. Also sheet metal gaps start showing and the frame will need to be straightened and painted. All the connectors get brittle, plastic parts break just from use.

I considered doing the restoration on my 1991 but also know Toyota eventually discontinues parts so keeping a 25+ truck going gets to be about stockpiling parts and being a collector. That's fine for a second truck but I went through it with a 1978 FJ40, which is why I bought the 1991 in the first place. I needed a daily driver that I could count on not being on jack stands waiting for a part. Parts unavailability was starting to happen here and there with the 1991 (this was 2015) and will soon start with soon the 1995-1999 era Tacoma. So you have to find NOS, find suitable aftermarket parts that are the same quality as OEM, etc. It's not always easy.

Also the 2nd gen trucks are worth it for the engine, it's a really good truck motor that doesn't struggle on the highway. My 22R-E, yeah, loved that little tractor motor but Interstates were not fun. The 3.4L V6 is better but the 1GR is MUCH better IMO. I doubt Toyota will ever make a better V6 petrol engine. The current 3.5L V6 2GR in the Tacoma is a fine motor but not nearly as good as a truck engine.

Couple this with the frame rot issue that is present on all the 1995-2004 Tacomas to some degree (and now the 2005-2010, which wasn't the case when I bought my 2008). I dunno, I don't think any 1995+ truck is really going to last forever like a FJ40 or the earlier Hilux trucks. I mean, an FJ40 from the 1960s had 5 circuits in the harness and the metal was as thick as an aircraft carrier hull. That's the level of complexity that tends to last a long time. A 2003 Tacoma still has several computers, the frame thickness is less than the body sheet metal of those old trucks. It wasn't made to last or made to be continuously repaired.

Last edited:

roving1

My reasoning for jumping from the 1991 to 2001 and finally the 2008 was everything eventually wears out. My 1991 was at the point to continue to rely on it meant more serious rebuilding. Everything wears out. Everything. If you want to keep your 1st gen Tacoma forever you will eventually hit a point when you need to do a partial or maybe full frame-off. Rust, rust, rust.

Not for me. I bought a truck that spent it's whole life Garaged in Las Vegas. The plastic and hoses are still insanely good and no rust anywhere. Compared to my 2002 2wd which has lived in MI and New England it's whole life they are from different planets. My 2wd has been reframed by Toyota but now the bedsides are rusting lol. It's still a reliable commuter though.

My 4wd is adventure only. I don't commute or drive it in the salt at all. I don't really get daily driving the overlanding vehicle. Used reliable cars are dirt cheap for commuting. Because of this it will last me a long time. When and if something major finally needs to be rebuilt I can take the time and easily pay for it not having monthly payments for anything.

But I get only wanting one modern vehicle to deal with so for some it's worth it. It's not for me though.

I work with new and pre-production vehicles as part of my job and some of the newer powertrains can be impressive, but as an overall package I just hate modern vehicles more and more as time goes on. The best case scenario is you have to turn off and configure 20 things to make the car do what you want that reset every time you start the damn thing. The worst is you can't control any of it and the car never does what you want.

Strangely I have 3 2002 vehicles. 4wd reg cab Taco 2wd reg cab Taco, Nissan Sentra SER SPEC V. All three cost less than half what one new truck truck would cost. I get to have fun in the dirt, a reliable commuter, and something fun on pavement. All three have helical LSDs and behave passively exactly how I want and drive 100% predictably. The maintenance on all three combined is probably 1/5 what a monthly payment would cost for a new truck, and some of that maintenance is upgrading from OEM. Having the fleet means I can do all sorts of stuff I can't do with 1 car. I often have an extra car at work for instance so I can work on a car and drive one of the others if I don't finish or need parts etc.

Not for everyone I know but for me buying premium used vehicles and keeping them up just works so much better for me.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You're special then @roving1 having the luxury to keep multiple vehicles. Of course if you park it in a garage in a low humidity environment and it gets few miles it will last a lot longer. Most of us don't have that luxury. If that's what you can do you still need a daily driver and the combination of the two adds up to a certain level of maintenance, too. I really wished I had the means to do that with my 1991. I still have regrets for selling it now 3 years on but the reasons for it remain just as true now as then. I certainly do like doing Grand Junction to Denver in 33% less time and it being immeasurably less tiring in my 2008.

This 2008 is the most modern truck I've owned and it doesn't have all the stuff that I guess requires 20 button strokes while you rub your head to configure. The original question was how 2005-2015 and 2016+ trucks are holding up compared to the 2003 the OP has. My experience is that my 2008 is wearing out about as fast as the 2001 did in mixed duty and has had about the same number of issues. I have 85k on my 2008 now (bought it in 2015 with 42k) and the 2001 had 115k on it when I sold it in 2014 (bought it in 2013 with about 100k).

For example the 2001 had developed a fairly large rust hole in the bed by then.

IMG_3529 (Small).JPG

I cleaned and painted the rust on the frame when I had done reinforcements.

IMG_3520_thumb.jpg

IMG_3519_thumb.jpg

I've had to clean and paint the frame on my 2008 now, too.

IMG_0725_mid_mid.jpg
IMG_0734_mid_mid.jpg

roving1

Im aware of the struggle. I think I came off fancier than I am. All my stuff lives outside in the weather. Just under a cover when I am not driving it. Just focusing all the winter driving into a vehicle you care less about makes all the difference. My 2wd 02 is in a constant war with rust since I drive it in the winter. But the other two are fine, even having to live outside.

I am sort of joking about the 20 things but if you drive enough 2018 vehicles, particularly loaded ones, you will see I am not far off.

Screenshot_20181014-165015.pngScreenshot_20181014-165008.pngScreenshot_20181014-165021.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven