How do you keep gear safe in open bed Tacoma ?

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I have 2 48 gal actionpackers for my gear. It leaves enough room at the back for my cooler. A quick unload into the hotel room. I have a shell now but still use the actionpackers instead of luggage. Before the shell, I ran a couple of cable locks to keep honest men honest.

Not my picture, it belongs to boks on TW. It gives you a reference on how they fit in bed.
P5010081.JPG

NIVEK_TURK

Observer
When I had my taco I would use two big pelican cases that I had locked to the bed. Never had any issues with people tampering with them while at hotels. They're pretty spendy but well worth it my eyes.

Bob Freda

Adventurer
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I will be using most of them in one way or another. I have ordered a locking handle for the tailgate, most items will be in storage boxes, I will use cable type locks to secure items to each other and the bed of the truck. I am also carrying 2 fuel cans and a Porta Potti ( don't want those in the room !)
I am also going the attach some wire enclosures at the rear and sides of the bed ( Lowes closet shelving ) for added security ( mostly visual )
image.jpg

Will paint them black and attach rear with locking wire cable ? Still working on it .

p nut

butter
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I will be using most of them in one way or another. I have ordered a locking handle for the tailgate, most items will be in storage boxes, I will use cable type locks to secure items to each other and the bed of the truck. I am also carrying 2 fuel cans and a Porta Potti ( don't want those in the room !)
I am also going the attach some wire enclosures at the rear and sides of the bed ( Lowes closet shelving ) for added security ( mostly visual )
View attachment 332456

Will paint them black and attach rear with locking wire cable ? Still working on it .

Nice idea, but to me, it would cause more harm than good, if you were to wrap that all around the bed. It would be a pain in the neck trying to get to stuff. I'd rather bear the "pain" of moving everything in the hotel room for a night or two than dealing with that thing out in the bush every day.

Bob Freda

Adventurer
I have made progress for my security problem. This will be used for my 2 week cross country trip to keep camping gear somewhat secure. I've added a tailgate lock and attached the side grills to my tent supports. I also flipped around the High Lift brackets to inside the bed.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Next I need to add a rear grill that will be easily removed and some way to lock to the tailgate.

toymaster

Explorer
^^^ I like it and think it will work. Not 'high' security but will certainly stop the 'grab-as-you-go-by' thing. Simple, effective, and low cost... excellent work!

Bob Freda

Adventurer
Finished my enclosure. Padlocks at four corners to steel angle and straps that are bolted in place.

image.jpg
image.jpg

The other day I was on a job site, when I returned to the truck a guy asked me if I kept my hunting dogs in the "cage"..... HaHa

Last edited:

IronRoberts73

Observer
I used the same system in my Cherokee way back when, now I use those husky rolling job boxes in my Tacoma. Waterproof fairly sturdy and lockable, with a locking tailgate and a bed rack you cannot fit them between the two. So if you wanted to take something you would have to crack open each one and take everything out.

seanpistol

Explorer
Did you tune your CB in that location? How long is the Firestik and what were your SWRs? I have mine in the same spot and am getting too much reflection from the RTT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl