How does one get into white water kayaking?

It seems that WW yaking has been calling my name for a few years now... I'm wondering how some of you guys have gotten into the sport?

I may be interested in flying somewhere this summer to take white water kayaking lessons, so if you have any recommendations that would be awesome!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Responding to the 2nd Q first, you can't go wrong with Otter Bar or Nantahala Outdoor Center.

two common ways are:

1) you have a lot of friends that paddle ww and you have plenty of time to devote to it (2-3x wk) for the first season. It's a skill intensive sport that needs numerous sessions relatively close together to build one upon another. Otherwise, the learning curve gets way too drawn out and one can be a beginner forever.

2) take lessons. IMO, a weekend camp at a minimum, or week long camp at best.

I started paddling sea kayaks and immediately began working my way thru the BCU, becoming a 4 star paddler my first year . This means I learned an arsenal of strokes that enabled me to manipulate my kayak ieven in the most challenging of conditions, and learned to roll right away, which allowed me to better learn bracing techniques. I met a paddler who was very similar to me. I was the only one that he could get to paddle the Great Lakes in the snowstorms with him.:sombrero: We've been best friends ever since.

We'd go out a few times a week on the inland lakes and just practice strokes and rolls (everything in the BCU syllabus)After our first year of paddling and going out in all of the small craft advisories, we grabbed some white water boats and headed to West Virginia to paddle the New River. We figured we'd just follow the rafts down. We had good strokes, bombproof rolls, and good bracing skills, and the water was warm so...it was great.

We went almost every weekend after that...( I was averaging 32,000 miles of driving a year for about 5 years just driving to paddling destinations--so I finally moved to Washington state.)

Last edited:

blaz

Adventurer
The three things I learnt early;

1) Join a club (similar minded people with good info)
2) take lessons (you NEED to know what a strainer and a frown are)
3) Buy a cheap used boat (your first boat will never be perfect) :ylsmoke:

Now get out on the water. Practicing on a lake if that is all you have near by is fine to start.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Its worth seeing if there is a local club affiliated with American Whitewater or the American Canoe Association. They may have resources to help. One thing my local club (shameless plug for the Merrimack Valley Paddlers) does is run pool sessions in the winter so people can perfect their rolling skills.

For students, many colleges have kayak/canoe clubs that paddle whitewater and teach beginners. At least they did way back then in Britain. I hope the litigious USA promotes such things, too.

A new kayak is a used scratched kayak after the first time on the river. Many paddlers (like many motorcyclists) have a short attention span with gear so pre-loved boats, paddles, etc. make sense. Get it from local paddlers, craigslist or BoaterTalk gear swap. Buy a new PFD and helmet though.

If you need whitewater gear advice, I suggest starting a new thread and we'll try to sell you our excess stuff. I'm actually thinning my fleet right now... :sombrero:

Have fun! :snorkel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk