How many 2012+ FG owners here?

KMG

Adventurer
One Less 2012+ Owner. You think you wouldn't enjoy the Duonic, try having the 3rd tranny fail (2nd tranny failed in the shop test runs. 3rd failed after less than 20 miles) and Fuso's only solution is a 4th unit with the same design defect. 50% time of ownership in the shop. Can't imagine driving anywhere a flatbed tow truck could not easily reach to retrieve the truck. Hey that's a new business idea. An off road tow truck exclusively for FG owners. You could offer a discount program. Every fifth tow is 1/2 off. Enjoying every ones builds. Best of luck.
This never occurred to me, as I have a manual.
From everything that I have heard and read, I don't think that Duonic gearbox is something I would enjoy.

david506th

Adventurer
One Less 2012+ Owner. You think you wouldn't enjoy the Duonic, try having the 3rd tranny fail (2nd tranny failed in the shop test runs. 3rd failed after less than 20 miles) and Fuso's only solution is a 4th unit with the same design defect. 50% time of ownership in the shop. Can't imagine driving anywhere a flatbed tow truck could not easily reach to retrieve the truck. Hey that's a new business idea. An off road tow truck exclusively for FG owners. You could offer a discount program. Every fifth tow is 1/2 off. Enjoying every ones builds. Best of luck.

I know your jaded but not all Fuso's are bad IMHO. I think where many go wrong is going for the "new" stuff. The new transmissions are a source of issues for the Fuso and on top of that you have to deal with DEF. If not buying a new ATW or EC I dont see a reason not to try and get a older model.

KMG

Adventurer
I agree completely!
I know your jaded but not all Fuso's are bad IMHO. I think where many go wrong is going for the "new" stuff. The new transmissions are a source of issues for the Fuso and on top of that you have to deal with DEF. If not buying a new ATW or EC I dont see a reason not to try and get a older model.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge

Well, as you say "not all Fuso's are bad". Which also goes for the newer models. Fact is, there are going to be lemons in any production run. Unfortunately KMG seems to have had some extremely bad luck, but I really wonder what the heck the dealership and techs were doing to remedy the situation?

The reason I say that is I've gotten thousands of miles on a '12 model, after a bit of updating after purchase (previous owner never had it reflashed or recall work done), it's actually been trouble free, other than one NOX sensor going south.

The newer Duonic models have their idiosyncracies, as do all models. It's all about what compromises you're willing to accept, but I do know that Fuso is working on these issues. I was just talking in camp with Howard70, for instance, and he mentioned there's a new ECM map for FG snowplow trucks, that just came out. Both he and I are thinking that this new flash might be the solution to the low speed/high torque issue that the current truck has. Time will tell, but there are too many of these trucks out there, and the market is too lucrative for Fuso to completely ignore the current shortcomings of the trucks. I've had enough vehicles to know that many times, new offerings go through significant teething problems. If the base idea is solid (and neither Daimler-Benz, nor FUSO has a history of making junk commercial vehicles- the opposite is true), then eventually (key word here...how long will it take, and how long is one willing to wait?) there will be a vehicle that does what folks are expecting it to do.

But of course, if you have just dropped 200K+ on a "real off road camper" and the performance isn't up to your specs....yep. I can completely understand the current gripes.

Fact is, right now, there are plenty of places I wouldn't take a current model FG camper rig.

Then again, there are plenty of places I wouldn't take an older model either, or for that matter a completely built Unimog....

Everything's a compromise, nothing is perfect until you really make it yours.

dlh62c

Explorer
Example: I'll go up a hill in third, pull up to a stop sign, briefly stop (~1 second), the transmission stays in third and when I give it throttle it rolls back a bit until it realizes that it needs to downshift to 1st, forcing me to use the brake to avoid rolling into the car behind me. I started avoiding this this issue by driving in manual mode and downshifting to 1st when I'm at a stop sign. Part of it may be my inexperience driving a large vehicle.

Try reducing throttle input as you approach the stop sign at the top of the hill. As the vehicle senses the reduction in throttle input and the increased load from the incline, the transmission should down shift to a lower gear. This action should place the transmission into second, from third, for a rolling stop.

Also make sure the ECO switch is set to off. It should only be used on level roads with little or no incline.

Driving a large vehicle is all about spacial awareness. A good set of mirrors, set up properly will do wonders.

Last edited:

Czechsix

Now try getting on level ground, and gently bump into a curb or other obstacle, about 6" high. Stop with your tires contacting the curb. Place in gear, and see if you can climb over it.

awisernig

Thanks for the tips dlh62c. The more I drive the EC the more I'm starting to prefer it over my old hatchback – there's just something really nice about the high vantage point and plethora of mirrors that really help in city traffic.

@Czechsix, I ran into that behaviour the first time I took it out. I backed off a road at 90*, over a small log. I went out for a few hours to explore a nearby lake and when i came back it didn't want to crawl over it and I thought I was stuck. I engaged 4x4 and my front wheels pulled me out without an issue. My confidence in it was completely shot so I ran a few experiments with a fireplace sized logs and found that as long as I back up about a wheel turn before going forward (presumably for the LSD to engage/ECU to stop thinking i'm about to run over a small child) everything is A-OK. Definitely took some getting used to but I haven't found it hinders me so far. I figure if I'm ever in a situation where I can't back up a wheel turn(say there's a cliff or wall), I can always lock the transfer case, or bust out the winch.

Czechsix

Thanks for the tips dlh62c. The more I drive the EC the more I'm starting to prefer it over my old hatchback – there's just something really nice about the high vantage point and plethora of mirrors that really help in city traffic.

@Czechsix, I ran into that behaviour the first time I took it out. I backed off a road at 90*, over a small log. I went out for a few hours to explore a nearby lake and when i came back it didn't want to crawl over it and I thought I was stuck. I engaged 4x4 and my front wheels pulled me out without an issue. My confidence in it was completely shot so I ran a few experiments with a fireplace sized logs and found that as long as I back up about a wheel turn before going forward (presumably for the LSD to engage/ECU to stop thinking i'm about to run over a small child) everything is A-OK. Definitely took some getting used to but I haven't found it hinders me so far. I figure if I'm ever in a situation where I can't back up a wheel turn(say there's a cliff or wall), I can always lock the transfer case, or bust out the winch.

???? You're talking earlier model than 2011 or so, right? Please say so :D

ALSO: In doing the interior tear down, I noticed that the locking nut on my parking brake lever cable was spinning loose. No issues, bit of locktite and tightened it up. However, I was doing a search online and came across a FUSO FG recall for that exact issue. Those of you with the newer trucks might want to take a peek at it and make sure it's tight. Would suck not to have parking brake on hand if it was truly necessary.

awisernig

I mentioned I was a noobie when it came to this stuff :) Locking the transfer case sounds a lot better than "getting out of the cab, locking the hubs, getting back in and pushing the 4x4 button". Admittingly, I could use a primer on vocabulary.

*Edit: Now i'm curious, aren't I locking the transfer case when I press the 4x4 switch? That way the power can be transferred to the front axle?. Or am I completely off-base?*

???? You're talking earlier model than 2011 or so, right? Please say so :D

ALSO: In doing the interior tear down, I noticed that the locking nut on my parking brake lever cable was spinning loose. No issues, bit of locktite and tightened it up. However, I was doing a search online and came across a FUSO FG recall for that exact issue. Those of you with the newer trucks might want to take a peek at it and make sure it's tight. Would suck not to have parking brake on hand if it was truly necessary.

Czechsix

Heh, no worries, I'm a noob too.

In a way, yah, I guess you're "locking" the transfer case when you hit the switch. Most folks will say "engaging" the t-case though. Most of the time when folks mention "locking" in regards to gear cases, they'll be referring to locking differentials. Which would have been nice :D..

So....yes, you're "locking" the transfer shafts together when you hit the 4x4 switch. FG's have basically the same TC system that's been around for years, same thing in many manual transmissions - a fork that engages a gear that either disconnects or transfers power to an additional shaft, in this case the shaft that goes to the forward differential.

Confusion can arise though when referring to vehicles that have "full time" 4wd, since they will have some form of central differential - which sometimes has the option of being able to be locked.

Yep, clear as mud.

20150515_071043-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach