How many run "old" rigs?

slus

Adventurer
How many people trust their 1st gen runners and 2nd gen trucks to get them there...and back?

I've been slowly building/fixing up my 1984 4runner for about 3 years now, with the goal of a reliable camping and mild wheeling vehicle. It has high miles, but is in nearly perfect cosmetic shape, and I love the old school feel of the truck. Problem is, I am not sure it will ever get to the "reliable" stage that I would feel comfortable with for even a weekend camping trip, let alone the expeditions I want to get in to. It's left me stuck on the road at least 10 times, and I barely ever drive it since it's always being worked on! I've had many tacomas and newer 4runners, all of which have been rock solid reliable, now I'm thinking selling my 1st gen and getting back into a tacoma...

This just a short list off the top of my head of things that have failed on the road or required replacement later, I'm sure I forgot some too...

I'm on my 3rd engine, first one was tired after 300k, second one was a very shoddily rebuilt engine that lasted 600 miles, now running a good one from Davez Offroad
Rebuilt Carb
Rebuilt front axle
New brakes all around
Clutch slave cyl
Brake booster
Brake Master Cylinder
LSPV
Transmission
Clutch
Flywheel
Wheel bearings all around
Knuckle Bearings
All vacuum lines
Vacuum advance
Radiator hoses
Throttle Cable
Plug Wires/plugs
Coil
Starter
Exhaust/header
AC compressor
Battery
Motor Mount

...and yesterday something went wrong with the carb again, 40 miles from nowhere, requiring me to keep it above 2000 RPMs the whole way back:sombrero:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
unless you fully restore an older truck, a good rule of thumb is to run/buy/use the newest car you can afford.

For me, that meant a 1990's jeep cherokee. I spend a $1000 on maintenance this first year, and its been 100% reliable.

Though I have niggling feelings about how old it is, having done all my own work, I have a pretty good feeling as to what might go out on me and what won't.

If I could afford to pay cash for a newer truck like a mid to late nineties fj80 or trooper, I'd jump on it.

just my perspective.

91runner

Observer
I would love an 85 or an 86 turbo with a sas, but with our third kid due in August not sure it will ever happen. We have a 91 4runner, issues with it so far have been the harmonic balancer bolt falling out and the fan blade exploded on our 2200 mile move from cali to Al. The fan blade went out in the evening and we drove about 300 miles until we hit alberquerqie(sp) without overheating or even coming close.
With a little work these vehicles can be incredibly reliable, however some vehicles I think just have gremlins.

slus

Adventurer
unless you fully restore an older truck, a good rule of thumb is to run/buy/use the newest car you can afford.

For me, that meant a 1990's jeep cherokee. I spend a $1000 on maintenance this first year, and its been 100% reliable.

Though I have niggling feelings about how old it is, having done all my own work, I have a pretty good feeling as to what might go out on me and what won't.

If I could afford to pay cash for a newer truck like a mid to late nineties fj80 or trooper, I'd jump on it.

just my perspective.

I initially bought this truck because of their reputation for being tough, and easy to fix. I havent seen the tough part yet, but I will admit they are easy to work on. I feel like I'd need to car around the entire Toyota parts department to keep this thing going on a 2 week trek though.

truck payments on a 2010 tacoma access cab are looking better and better:smiley_drive:

With a little work these vehicles can be incredibly reliable, however some vehicles I think just have gremlins.

I was thinking little gnomes with hammers, that smash my parts at stop signs.

91runner

Observer
I had an 89 xj like that. Loved the Cherokee but had to get rid of it after the tranny lines popped out on my wife.

You have to remember that at some point, you eventually have to replace everything. Nothing human-made lasts forever. I had to shift my thinking into a "replacement cycle," which is knowing when I expect to replace a part at a certain time in the future and save up money to do it. If there's no clear sign of failing, keep going with it, but as soon as you notice something off about it, get in there and replace it before it leaves you on the road (once again). I've had my 17-y.o. Toyota do that to me many times, because my income has not allowed me to stay ahead in the replacement cycle. I'll get there eventually. As I said before, eventually, you have to replace everything (well, hopefully not the windshields, doors, hoods, gas tanks, etc.).

It's either that or be stuck in a payment plan for 5-7 years solid, giving the income to bankers who don't do anything for a living. I choose the former.

Stephanie

Last edited:

Desert Dan

Explorer
Having run old and new rigs I would say it depends on how good a mechanic you are and the type of vehicle it is.

Most of all you should enjoy tinkering and repairing your vehicle if you are running an older rig.

If you have an older rig that keeps letting you down I would avoid solo trips.

New rigs can let you down too but usually you can get 100K miles w/o problems except for regular maintenance etc.

MtnToys

My 85 4unner has never left me stranded. It was my DD until 4 months ago. I use it to go wheeling, camping and hiking in the mountains all the time. I've driven it 1000 miles with a blown head gasket. It made it 300 miles with the clutch always engaged (clutch spring fell out and kept the clutch from disengaging). It has spewed all the coolant out of the back port on the head in the middle of east bum****. I've had starter, brake, wiring and alternator failures along with numerous other trail failures such as a birf, hub, motor mounts, ect. With a little lovin it brings me home every time. At this point I have pretty much rebuilt/replaced every component of my 4runner.

You just need to be prepared with the proper parts/tools and know your truck inside and out. Don't go driving off to the middle of nowhere with a know issue or sketchy fixes to know issues.

jh504

Explorer
I used to run a 90 4runner that was pretty reliable but it still nickle and dimmed me with little stuff. I am starting a build on an 88 fj62 now and I guess we will see how it goes.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I think it's a wash whether you decide to keep it or get a new truck---you'll be spending $$$ either way.

quoted for truth...I'd rather own a solid, older "pinnacle" vehicle than have payments on a newer rig that I can't repair myself.

I also like having the truck be "mine"

:)

irish_11

Explorer
I have an 88 4urnner that I have done WAY too much work to and I still cant fix everything. I thought about selling it so I typed up this ad:

1988 Toyota 4runner DLX 4cyl, 5spd. 127k miles on the body and frame

Engine: (I have the receipts for all work)
· 22RE with RV cam, 3k on the engine with a 30k mile warranty. The engine was built by Sunwest automotive and certified & valves adjusted by Carburetor Connection performance shop in Totem Lake.
· Intake manifold has been machined to match the engine
· Fuel injectors cleaned
· New water pump, fuel filter, thermostat, ignition coil, spark plugs & wires, oil pressure sending unit, and all coolant hoses replaced

Suspension and tires:
· 3” Downey Offroad rear leaf springs with 2” daystar shackles
· 1.5” Sonoran Steel ball joint spacers
· Deutsch Tech shocks
· 31x10.5 BFG AT’s with 6k miles on them and 50k warranty

Other parts replaced since I bought it in 2005:
· Starter
· Master & slave cylinder
· Brakes replaced 5k miles ago
· Seals and bearings on all axels 5k miles ago

Modifications/additions:
· Sr5 gauge cluster swap
· Auxiliary fuse box
· Ramsey winch bumper
· U-haul class 3 hitch
· Yakima rack with lights
· New JVC CD/WMA player
· LED interior lights
· Uniden 520XL CB
· Hi-lift

But Ive had way too much of my spare time and money into it to give up now. It still needs a new transmission, rear main seal, ignition module, and new exhaust.

I bought myself a 1999 Tacoma 2 weeks ago and have been driving that around. I plan to build it it, but I think I'll keep the 4runner in the garage for now. Old rigs are fun, but they can be a serious pain in the ____ (***, wallet, bank, etc). I bought it to take me back and forth from Seattle to Montana in college and it has done that and more in the time that I've owned it.

jh504

Explorer
If you spent the same amount of money on an older, well built vehicle, that you spend on a new vehicle I imagine it would be pretty reliable. Dropping $15-$20,000 on an 85 4runner would be an AWESOME rig.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I think it's a wash whether you decide to keep it or get a new truck---you'll be spending $$$ either way.

Agreed. If you buy a new truck, you're going to easily spend $5,000 a year on payments. If you spend less than that on your old truck each year, you're still ahead.

slus

Adventurer
If you spent the same amount of money on an older, well built vehicle, that you spend on a new vehicle I imagine it would be pretty reliable. Dropping $15-$20,000 on an 85 4runner would be an AWESOME rig.

I havent kept receipts, because I knew it would just be used against me later on :)sombrero:) but I'm sure I'm coming up on 10k, including the 2000 dollar purchase price.

Irish-I'm kinda coming toward the same conclusion, I've put so much time and money into this I know I'll never get it even close to repaid by selling it, I'm just wondering when I'm going to hit this point of reliability, and if it's still going to be worth it at that point. There is no doubt that a well running, pristine older truck blows the newer ones out of the water when it comes to the cool factor, for me at least.

The new truck idea was sparked by my last trip to the Toyota parts department. They parked a brand new 2010 white access cab 4x4 TRD right by the counter so I had to notice that I'm spending a truck payment on parts, nearly every month, for the last few years, trying to keep mine on the road. More than likely I'd end up with another 01-04 tacoma. I'd kinda like to give another 2.7 a shot after having 3 3.4s in a row.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3