How to clean a gas can?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Last summer I picked up a metal jerry can for a couple bucks at a garage sale. :wings: I got the better of the two, the other was pretty rusty. This one though has some sediment and a little bit of old fuel or some other liquid in it. It doesn't smell like gas or diesel so I'm not sure exactly what it is.

So what is the best way to get all the loose stuff off the inside of the can so that when I fill it with fuel, then pour the fuel into my jeep gas tank, I don't get a bunch of silt and junk with it? When I look inside with a flash light it is a little rough which explains where the sediment came from and I don't want that happening again with new fuel.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Last summer I picked up a metal jerry can for a couple bucks at a garage sale. :wings: I got the better of the two, the other was pretty rusty. This one though has some sediment and a little bit of old fuel or some other liquid in it. It doesn't smell like gas or diesel so I'm not sure exactly what it is.

So what is the best way to get all the loose stuff off the inside of the can so that when I fill it with fuel, then pour the fuel into my jeep gas tank, I don't get a bunch of silt and junk with it? When I look inside with a flash light it is a little rough which explains where the sediment came from and I don't want that happening again with new fuel.

There are kits to clean and seal motorcycle tanks - they work fine on jerry cans. Basically an acid to etch the rust off, and an epoxy to re-seal the can and seal any small holes.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Thanks, I'll see if I can find something like that. I need a pour spout too but that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Whereabouts in Montana are you from?

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I suggest you use a pressure washer and scrub it out as best you can...use some CLR full strength to get rid of any rust inside. Then let it dry a bit and wash it out with a bit of fuel you will use and pour spent fuel in a container to use to start fires, or clean things up with a rag.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Thanks for all the ideas, I like the one about the motorcycle gas tank sealer so I'll definitely go with something like that. I'm determined to get every penny worth of use out of this gas can, I only paid 3 bucks for it! Its missing the pour spout but I carry a siphon in my tool kit any way so its all good.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Thanks for all the ideas, I like the one about the motorcycle gas tank sealer so I'll definitely go with something like that. I'm determined to get every penny worth of use out of this gas can, I only paid 3 bucks for it! Its missing the pour spout but I carry a siphon in my tool kit any way so its all good.
A siphon is actually a lot less messy than the spout.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Haha, local bike shop. :bike_rider: You're kidding right? I live in a town with a population of barely 200 on a good day. :ylsmoke:

There is a Harley store in Missoula though and me and my wife were planning on going there this weekend for a good Valentines Day dinner out anyway so I'll ask there.

i worked with an old harley guy one time and he saidto clean the the tanks they would put marbles in the tank with some diesel or kerosene then shake it around real good. finding the marbles may be the hard part.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Trip to Missoula didn't happen like we had hoped it would, darnit.

If not marbles, I bet some ball bearings or 00 buck shot would work, or I think somebody up there even said nuts and bolts too.

MrLeadfoot

half a pint of kithen cleaner & some small plastic balls, then shake, dont use acid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy