How to get Goal Zero to charge off of vehicle?

svinyard

Hi there, anyone know how to get a Goal Zero 1500X setup to charge off your Van while driving/running and also get it to charge close to the 750W that their Link Expansion Module supports? If so how is that setup and what's the charge rate you are getting? I've got a 1500X wired into my Truck Camper (Scout Kenai) but want to get it to charge off my truck when driving. The Link Module supports up to 750w charging rate and I'd love to get close to that as it'd be enough to boost the battery quite a bit while driving an hour or two. Struggling to figure out how to do it, what wiring to use and how to best get it wired up. (I'm very new to this side of things)

Also, the EC8 cable that comes with the car charging/link module kit is now recalled...which poses another issue:
EC8 Recall Notice/Goal Zero

www.goalzero.com
www.goalzero.com

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Most of the big wattage power boxes wont charge vis a Cigar socket the way round that is to run a 300-500watt inverter and plug the GZ's wall charger in to it,

Hope that helps,

CFMGarage

I've gotten 2 of those Goal Zero 12v car charging cables for $40 a piece and both have stopped working after the return period.

john61ct

Adventurer
What a scam

surely someone's reversed engineered what the cable does?

volts is volts, amps are amps, they should just give the damn specs

4000lbsOfGoat

surely someone's reversed engineered what the cable does?
Pretty much anyone who manufactures a DC-DC charger has "reverse engineered" what the cable does, the cable is just a lot cheaper than a good DC-DC charger (i.e. the cable is simply a cheap, low power DC-DC charger).

john61ct

Adventurer
If that is actually the case

both current limiting and voltage conversion

then $40 is super cheap, just buy a dozen and be happy

svinyard

GoalZero got back to me with some details. They advised the vehicle integration kit below:

When I asked about that cable being under recall, they said the following:
"The EC8 is heavy enough and no longer under recall. This system is built to do its job. Part of the calculation on whether it will work for you is the vehicle battery and alternator capabilities, as well. And, for that reason we cannot ensure a charge rate. Keep in mind that the longer the extension cable the less charge rate. The installation of the kit is all based on mechanical capabilities."

That wiring is 8 AWG iirc. The EC8 cable is 12ft and the ring-to-EC8 connector cable is like 3ft. I'm hoping that is enough to get into the back of my truck bed and into the electrical access port (of my camper) to the GoalZero.

Looks like it connects directly to alternator with a fuse. Any one have a general idea of how best to install and run that cable through my truck back into the bed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle