How to get the best no haggle price on an order for a 2014 JKUL rubicon?

evilfij

Explorer
GF wants one, I don't feel like haggling and shopping and don't care what dealer it comes, I just want to order it and get one relatively promptly (so she stops driving my jag) and exactly how I spec it (white or dune, black cloth, auto, hardtop, auto climate control, max tow, whatever I need for bluetooth to work).

I saw something about a tread lightly discount, does that work?

Any input would be appreicated.

rcbJEEP

True car.com pricing. Haven't used it but others have said it works. Also, Costco membership has car buying service. I spoke to a Ford dealer about it and they said it prices near invoice for non-SVT cars. They list Jeep.

Ron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Yes it does work, but it also depends on how much time you have to wait. http://treadlightly.org/join/individual/ You have to buy a $100.00 membership.

I did a few hours of research online, found out what the actual pricing is, and made an offer to the dealership based on that. It's been a couple years now since I found the numbers, and I suspect they have changed, but to give you an idea where we came out, we paid $41,000.00 out the door (including 10.1% tax, AZ license/registration fee of over $500.00, and the "$2900.00 life time B to B warranty") for a loaded JKUR w/ leather, 430N radio, hard top, no tow package. When we we done, the sales manager told me we came in at 3% under "invoice", and they weren't to happy with that.

Too bad so sad...

Oh yeah, the $2900.00 life time B to B actually costs them less than half that, so we got a substantial reduction on that as well. I "gave" them a $400.00 profit on it, so it came out to $1850.00 actual cost. We also came out with life time free oil changes at the recommended service interval of 8K...

The better prepared you are, the less it will cost. If the dealer near you kicks up a fuss, go elsewhere - I guaranty somebody will deal with you.

Judoka

Learning To Live
I sell Jeeps in Arizona. As a Chrysler Certified Sales Professional I can tell you that a dealer will typically accept a ORDER deal on a JKU Rubicon for $500 over invoice without any reservation. Just make your offer and be done with it!

TxJprs

Observer
Yes, Thread Lightly is worth it. Easy way to get 1% below invoice. That is a great price in itself for a Jeep. Don't expect too much more than that though. Maybe another 1or 2% at best. I got dealer holdback which worked out to right about 3%. That was from a high volume dealer. We sat at his computer, entered everything I wanted and it shows right on screen retail and invoice. They can print it as well. Good luck.

lysol

Explorer
I'm OTD around $41k with a fully loaded '14 JKUR (minus NAV). I'm 21 days into the waiting process and I'm losing my mind....

evilfij

Explorer
So tread lightly is the way to go?

The nearest dealer is clueless and my time is valuable, but really I just abhor car sales people. This will be the second car I have bought from a dealer. The last one was my TDI sportwagen and I found an Internet pricing error and walked in with a check.

Just found out my employer is a Chrysler affiliate too so I don't have to wait 30 days.

Last edited:

wanabxtrm

Observer
If your a USAA member and have time you can work the system pretty well by getting a copy of the invoice and shopping around. Bought my 08 JKUR in late 08 for ~25k, which was about 10k below the sticker back then. I don't expect to get that good of a deal again, the economy at the time helped my position when it came to haggling. If you don't want to spend time, their car buying service is pretty good straight away.

WininUtah

Adventurer
Definitely do the Tread Lightly, it was a no hassle for me. invoice less 1%. Some folks are better at negotiating and are getting 2%. I just took delivery on my 2014 JKUR and the dealer had me bring my document from Chrysler Affiliate and my letter from TL and it was done.

Win

Kaisen

Explorer
If you're the type that enjoys scraping every last twenty out of a dealership, have at it

Otherwise, figure out how much time you spend "saving" that money. If you make $50/hr, spending four hours researching and visiting dealerships to haggle costs you $200. Time is money, and free-time is precious (those with kids will understand).

Just figure out where you'd like to buy/service your Jeep (convenient location, reputation, facilities, loaners, etc), quickly find a salesperson there that you like (ask around), utilize your Chrysler supplier pricing (or some other logical offer, like $200 over invoice), and simply order your Jeep. If you ultimately leave $200-300 on the table but have a fast, low-pressure experience at the dealer you'd prefer to buy from, it might just be worth it. You'll quickly forget what you paid.

lysol

Explorer
If you're the type that enjoys scraping every last twenty out of a dealership, have at it

Otherwise, figure out how much time you spend "saving" that money. If you make $50/hr, spending four hours researching and visiting dealerships to haggle costs you $200. Time is money, and free-time is precious (those with kids will understand).

Just figure out where you'd like to buy/service your Jeep (convenient location, reputation, facilities, loaners, etc), quickly find a salesperson there that you like (ask around), utilize your Chrysler supplier pricing (or some other logical offer, like $200 over invoice), and simply order your Jeep. If you ultimately leave $200-300 on the table but have a fast, low-pressure experience at the dealer you'd prefer to buy from, it might just be worth it. You'll quickly forget what you paid.

You sir are one of the few that has that right... I have to explain this to so many people and they still don't understand...

evilfij

Explorer
I am not going to wring out the last few hundred dollars, but going to multiple dealers only to be told $1000 off msrp is not my bag.

1% under invoice is fine and since I am a cash buyer they won't be able to screw me on financing or trade in.

I don't care about a loaner (I have way too many cars lol) and I will get it serviced wherever is most convienent.

CyberTom

I bought my Jeep Rubicon from my iPhone. I never spoke to anyone in person until I walked into the dealership to sign the papers. I found the dealers with the most inventory had the best web presence and biggest discounts. I ended up 9.8% under MSRP.

There was no pressure and I had more than one dealership competing for my business. The larger dealerships have more buying power and can sell for less. Look at Yarks in Toledo outside the factory or Rick Hendrick in Charleston SC where I bought mine.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
I am not going to wring out the last few hundred dollars, but going to multiple dealers only to be told $1000 off msrp is not my bag.

1% under invoice is fine and since I am a cash buyer they won't be able to screw me on financing or trade in.

I don't care about a loaner (I have way too many cars lol) and I will get it serviced wherever is most convienent.

Then just do it. No variables. You don't care which dealer you buy from, or how they would take care of you after the sale so this really should be easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC