How to Modify Vehicle Wiring - Starting with the DO NOTs

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Not sure, but basically you're making a "mechanical" connection. If you twisted the strand wire first then you essentially would have a solid type wire to start. So I would say "yes". You're looking for strength with the lineman's wrao.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

toddz69

Explorer
Not sure, but basically you're making a "mechanical" connection. If you twisted the strand wire first then you essentially would have a solid type wire to start. So I would say "yes". You're looking for strength with the lineman's wrao.

NASA 8739.4 doesn't specify whether it's only for stranded or solid wire, but the illustration shows it with solid (as referenced in the article). I've worked with NASA specs for many years and I don't recall ever using a linesman's wrap with stranded wire.

Todd Z.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Using bare metal butt connectors, a quality set of crimpers for the type and size of connector you are using, and then sealing with properly sized self sealing heatshrink is the way to go.

FWIW HERE'S a good link to the VW SELF Study guide for wiring harness diagnostics and repairs. Alot of this info is applicable to any automotive..

This is the "go to standard" for backcountry electrical projects/repairs IMHO.

Zeiderman

Adventurer
NASA 8739.4 doesn't specify whether it's only for stranded or solid wire, but the illustration shows it with solid (as referenced in the article). I've worked with NASA specs for many years and I don't recall ever using a linesman's wrap with stranded wire.

Todd Z.
Yes but.......never have done NASA spec work, but isn't it the connection that's important from a non-pulling apart stand point? I'll stand down from a professional, but would really like to know as this is my go to wrap and solder for both solid and strand.

thebigblue

Adventurer
A guess the HAZET Crimping pliers 4658-10 would be fine for a nice crimp?:

129515ba.jpg

http://www.hazet.de/produktkatalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_2295_2295100&products_id=896129515

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I have to interject; properly sized and crimped connectors are reliable. Note that the crimpers should be regularly inspected for wear and have a sample pull tested (on a test machine) to assure that each crimper/crimp position is making a gas tight crimp.
Junk/Chinese/home multipurpose crimpers are typically not a good idea. Having done production class 3 wiring I have a variety of manufacturer approved crimpers to use (some were quite spendy).
Each terminal brand and part number should be checked and the manufacturer's wire size/crimper/crimp recommendations adhered to.
If you want a watertight connection use waterproof connectors and or use adhesive coated heat shrink.
In the absence of the proper crimper a (typically unapproved) method is to solder the terminal to the wire.
If soldering use a non corrosive/no-clean flux.

Note; improper stripping can lead to wire failure.

Enjoy!

javajoe79

Fabricator
I am a bit late here but here is my take on some stuff......

Scotch Loc connectors should always be avoided. I cut the factory wire, strip both sides of the cut, strip my new wire, install heat shrink as necessary (before connecting everything), twist the wires together in the appropriate configuration, solder the wires, then slide the heat shrink up and shrink it into place.
I do the same except with bare butt connectors. Never ever Scotch Loc!

Using bare metal butt connectors, a quality set of crimpers for the type and size of connector you are using, and then sealing with properly sized self sealing heatshrink is the way to go.
Exactly how I do it. You have a sealed connection that remains flexible. Win Win.

I have to take issue with the 'no butt-splice connectors' and 'no crimp connectors' - there are places for these when done right, with the right connector and the right equipment.

The telecom world is held together with 3m scotchlok butt connectors, and it is harder than you might think to solder wires together.

In the example shown (crimped spade connectors on the back of a switch) are you seriously suggesting soldering it???

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=180321

I use connectors like that when needed but I slide the plastic housing off then crimp with the correct pliers, slide the housing back on, then cover the wire to housing junction with sealed heat shrink. I would also not use spade connectors that aren't completely covered due to the possibility of something shorting across them as shown in that pic.

Kevin108

Explorer
I'm a guy who keeps a soldering iron and shrink wrap in my vehicle's toolbox. The only thing better than solder and shrink wrap is to run a full wire. I agree on most of the OP's assertations, but updated them with my own findings.

1. Quick Splice Connectors - They aren't UV stable or designed to get wet. The sun will cause them to crumble in a matter of years and an electrical charge plus water quickly begins to corrode. However, I have no issue using these on interior wiring that will not be exposed to the weather. While the blades may cut individual wires, the wire ends are still contacting the blade and are unlikely to cause problems, in my experience.

2. Butt Splice Connectors - Again, inside only, and typically only with 14 gauge wire. The smaller stuff is hard to get a solid crimp on.

3. Crimp connectors - I have no problem using these. I only use them for ring terminals and insulated spade connectors. What most people don't know is that the plastic coating over the crimp sleeve is often shrink wrap. I typically only use these to attach grounds or to the the accessory terminal on the battery, or for wiring in relays.

4. Connecting to a Power Source Without Circuit Protection - Inline fuses are cheap insurance. Use 'em!

5. Weatherproofing - Definitely. The connectors you showed are great. I've even used trailer connectors with good results. I had a light bar on a pickup years ago that the inspector didn't like, so while in line, I cut the pigtail coming from the roof and put the light bar in the bed. On the way home, I grabbed a short trailer wiring harness and used two of the four prongs to wire things back together while leaving them safely removable.

Another never: If you have to use electrical tape, never use cheap electrical tape!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater