How to wire electrical

1000arms

There are limits to how much current can safely pass through a wire. In addition, the "12 V" US vehicle electric system will require about 10 times the amperage of a "120 V" US household for a given power. So, a 120 W 120 V light-bulb would draw about 1 A, but a 120 W 12 V light-bulb would draw about 10 A.

The above means that it requires thick wire to safely connect the truck alternator(s) to the camper (house) batteries, especially for heavy duty alternators and large camper battery banks. You might also need a battery to battery (DC to DC) charger, especially with LiFePO4 batteries.

For one example of an ampacity chart, see:

ReluctantTraveler

Based on what you’re both saying, it sounds like the seven pin connector works fine when you have one or two lead acid batteries, but for a modern and electricity heavy camera design to work more off the grid, it’s just not enough. Is that accurate?

1000arms

Based on what you’re both saying, it sounds like the seven pin connector works fine when you have one or two lead acid batteries, but for a modern and electricity heavy camera design to work more off the grid, it’s just not enough. Is that accurate?
:unsure: ... Camera design? Perhaps you posted on the wrong forum? ... :cool:

I think the following is a better description of what the 7-pin trailer connector is intended for.

"7-Way trailer connectors are found on most recreational vehicles and are used on larger gooseneck, 5th wheel, boat and utility trailers. They supply power to the taillights, turn signals, brake lights, trailer brakes, reverse lights, auxiliary power and include a ground connection. They come in two variations, 7-Way round and 7-way with RV Blades. They look similar, but it is important to verify which one you have before replacing it. The blade style is very common and will have small blades that are used for the connection. The round style has small round pins that are used to connect the two." is from:

ReluctantTraveler

But also, yea, it looks like it's just for aux power, not very much, and can only send it to the camper, but not back from the camper to the truck.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeah, not sure exactly how small the wires are in a 7-pin, but I do know they are not big enough. They are likely barely enough for a proper trickle charge. With the camper bank nearly depleted, and using the stock 135amp (as I recall) Ive seen as high as 45amps, with essentially zero voltage drop @ the camper batteries. Typically its less than 20Amps at ~14 volts.

ReluctantTraveler

The camper itself is wired independent of the truck, with the on exception being the 2AWG connected to the batteries VIA a large anderson plug at the front of the camper.
This allows the truck to charge the camper battery bank while running. It also allows for charging the truck batteries with the camper mounted solar.
And if the need ever arose, we could even jump start the truck with the camper batteries if the truck battery went down.

Is this setup a DC-to-DC charger, or an isolator (or something else)?

i’ve been googling how to use house batteries and solar to charge or jump the vehicle batteries, but I’m coming up short.

I love the idea of being able to use solar as a battery maintainer for the vehicle when not in use.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
All it is is a 200A continuous duty relay that ties both banks together.

When the truck is off, and the switch is thrown to tie them together via the relay,
the solar charge controller charges all batteries in the system as though it was one large battery.

Im sure there are better ways of going about it with $$ hardware that would manage the charging of each battery independently,
but this system is stupid simple, reliable, and it works as intended.

ReluctantTraveler

All it is is a 200A continuous duty relay that ties both banks together.

When the truck is off, and the switch is thrown to tie them together via the relay,
the solar charge controller charges all batteries in the system as though it was one large battery.

Im sure there are better ways of going about it with $$ hardware that would manage the charging of each battery independently,
but this system is stupid simple, reliable, and it works as intended.

Does that mean you don’t charge the house batteries from the alternator, then?

It sounds like the truck and house batteries are only connected when parked?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
All wiring in the camper for each device/load are home-runs for both hot and ground to the fuse panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater