How wide can you go?

Capo

Happy Camper
Nice to have a good vehicle! Travel safely.

William

Thanks!

Luckily I never had to put on the four snow chains up in Sweden. I'm half way through Germany and no more snow fall for now. The salt is piling up everywhere on the poor G though. I can't wait to get home and give it a hot wash-down and a full service.

McBride

Adventurer
Thanks!

Luckily I never had to put on the four snow chains up in Sweden. I'm half way through Germany and no more snow fall for now. The salt is piling up everywhere on the poor G though. I can't wait to get home and give it a hot wash-down and a full service.

Are you in Arnold?

You've got me thinking a lot about trimming weight on my camper. I've found some good carbon fibre sites. Not sure exactly where I'll go with it - most likely replace the cabinet doors and big plywood lazarette lids under the bed. Probably 75lbs right there. I've got several other tasks to complete first.

You could use cf on your trailer build...

Capo

Happy Camper
Are you in Arnold?

You've got me thinking a lot about trimming weight on my camper. I've found some good carbon fibre sites. Not sure exactly where I'll go with it - most likely replace the cabinet doors and big plywood lazarette lids under the bed. Probably 75lbs right there. I've got several other tasks to complete first.

You could use cf on your trailer build...

Yep, I'm in Arnold enjoying my occasional supercharged kick-downs on the speed limitless German Autobahn! It roars like a Nascar.

I didn't put my winter wheels on since I don't think much of them. Instead I carry four snow chains because up in Northern Sweden you need to be prepared - it is mid winter after all. MB (strongly) recommended me some sort of Pirelli winter road tyre on an MB winter rim which seems to be one inch narrower than the standard rim. I've used this setup several winters but it doesn't impress me so I might put on a set of AT for winter instead. That way I'll also have the option to deal with tougher terrains which I doubt the road-looking Pirelli winter tyres can handle. On the fast Autobahn the standard road tyres are the best. In case of a snow block or a mud situation, it takes a while to put all snow chains on but it is the best setup since I do much less off-roading in Arnold than in Rommel and thus very rarely need to chain up.

I agree, wouldn't a complete CF trailer be optimum!? Unfortunately my means are not as strong as before the 2008 crash so I need to stick to conventional steel for the trailer. I might check the cost of CF on some structure like the doors and foldable platforms but it would likely come at a later stage. Rommel will get a little bit of CF and will be as light as possible for reasonable money. As the world economy and my funds slowly recover there will hopefully be a time to step up the lightweight game... It's a process and that's part of the fun. I intend to learn a lot from this trailer build. Perhaps I will sell it further on and build a new lighter version?

75 pounds off in one go on your camper/expedition G is great! Let's see where this light weight race takes you. I'm very excited to follow your posts and learn from your improvements.

McBride

Adventurer
Yep, I'm in Arnold enjoying my occasional supercharged kick-downs on the speed limitless German Autobahn! It roars like a Nascar.

I didn't put my winter wheels on since I don't think much of them. Instead I carry four snow chains because up in Northern Sweden you need to be prepared - it is mid winter after all. MB (strongly) recommended me some sort of Pirelli winter road tyre on an MB winter rim which seems to be one inch narrower than the standard rim. I've used this setup several winters but it doesn't impress me so I might put on a set of AT for winter instead. That way I'll also have the option to deal with tougher terrains which I doubt the road-looking Pirelli winter tyres can handle. On the fast Autobahn the standard road tyres are the best. In case of a snow block or a mud situation, it takes a while to put all snow chains on but it is the best setup since I do much less off-roading in Arnold than in Rommel and thus very rarely need to chain up.

I agree, wouldn't a complete CF trailer be optimum!? Unfortunately my means are not as strong as before the 2008 crash so I need to stick to conventional steel for the trailer. I might check the cost of CF on some structure like the doors and foldable platforms but it would likely come at a later stage. Rommel will get a little bit of CF and will be as light as possible for reasonable money. As the world economy and my funds slowly recover there will hopefully be a time to step up the lightweight game... It's a process and that's part of the fun. I intend to learn a lot from this trailer build. Perhaps I will sell it further on and build a new lighter version?

75 pounds off in one go on your camper/expedition G is great! Let's see where this light weight race takes you. I'm very excited to follow your posts and learn from your improvements.

Capo,

I've gone thru at least 6 sets of BFG AT's in the last 5 years. They do well in mixed terrain and I like the highway performance; not loud, track we'll and decent braking on asphalt. I had them on 4 vehicles, two of which I sold last year. I am on my second set on a GMC 2500 HD. The first set only lasted 14 months before the tread was gone; very disappointing. I think the light rear end of the truck was a major contributing factor; it skips around a lot when there is no load. That and my 9 mile dirt, gravel, washboard rutted muddy road. They have always held up well on my Land Cruiser and Jeep.

I really think my wife needs a powerful supercharged G Wagen too! I told her she should get one but she is too in love with her RR. She likes the luxury and also how it mellows the severe washboard on our dirt road.

I'd love to see more interior pics of Rommel, particularly the tie downs. I need to install some.

Also, take lots of pics of your trailer build.

Indeed, let's hope a solid economy returns, sooner rather than later.

William

Capo

Happy Camper
Capo,

I've gone thru at least 6 sets of BFG AT's in the last 5 years. They do well in mixed terrain and I like the highway performance; not loud, track we'll and decent braking on asphalt. I had them on 4 vehicles, two of which I sold last year. I am on my second set on a GMC 2500 HD. The first set only lasted 14 months before the tread was gone; very disappointing. I think the light rear end of the truck was a major contributing factor; it skips around a lot when there is no load. That and my 9 mile dirt, gravel, washboard rutted muddy road. They have always held up well on my Land Cruiser and Jeep.

I really think my wife needs a powerful supercharged G Wagen too! I told her she should get one but she is too in love with her RR. She likes the luxury and also how it mellows the severe washboard on our dirt road.

I'd love to see more interior pics of Rommel, particularly the tie downs. I need to install some.

Also, take lots of pics of your trailer build.

Indeed, let's hope a solid economy returns, sooner rather than later.

William

I also like the AT and being careful enough with speed I think they would be alright on Arnold. The only drawback is high speed braking in rain so careful does it. I need to wear out the Pirellis first and then we'll see.

I don't blame your wife for liking her Range Rover. I am secretly very charmed by the latest supercharged version but my bonds with the G are stronger. When I drive a 4x4 I don't want to look too classy and that's where the G is perfect. For comfortable riding I ride my old Rolls Royce and I ride it almost everywhere all year round. It has high ground clearance and handles bad roads well and it is very comfortable, like an extension of your favourite lounge. I don't like being seen in new cars so I stopped buying new cars a few years ago. Instead I drive timeless classics mainly and maintain them to ship shape. The G is great because you can fool people it isn't new even if it is. That would be the only car I might buy new again, possibly when MB do their last-of-line run of the G. But then again, a two year old G is muuuuch better value than a new one and I have started to really hate depreciation.

I just got back home yesterday night so I'm spending the day around the house chilling and cooking and chatting with the neighbours. On Monday I'll take the MT wheels down to MaGicauto and I'll take some pics of Rommel. I installed the tie-downs myself with reinforcing stringers underneath the cargo deck to distribute the load on each tie-down. They are normal stainless steel M8 eye bolts in two transversal lines, one line in the rear and one line in the front of the cargo deck which ends behind the rear seats. There is a 15cm distance between each eye bolt. When the rear seats are out I'll install an extension of the cargo deck up to the front seats where a third line of eye bolts will be installed. That will provide enough versatility for cargo distribution. Although I plan to have most cargo where the rear seats are now and very little on the cargo deck since I intend to use the deck as a bunk. On the cargo deck there will normally only be two smaller suit cases to the sides and also an Oztent for longer stays. The tent will be pitched with the awning to the rear of the vehicle to provide a dry place for cooking and digesting. Fixed eye bolts are strong but flush mount fold-up tie-downs are better. That's what I think you should look for.

I won't have time to do the trailer until autumn but I very much enjoy making the plan now. Spring is packed with these very important hobbies of mine: dingy sailing, trolling fishing, motorcycling and sports car driving. So it is going to be ideal to have the trailer done and tested during autumn so it's ready for Morocco come winter.

My business is related to the ship building industry, particularly new builds. This is a sector that has been low since 2008. Slowly things will cheer up. Let's hope we will soon enjoy it!

McBride

Adventurer
I know what you mean. I am sooo looking forward to spring and fair weather in general. The short days kill me.

I didn't do much work on the camper this weekend, although I did put in a solar day/night roof fan on the aluminum cap. It is like the ones used on sailboats. I'll post some pics this week.

I do the same with vehicles; slightly used, one owner, dealer serviced, warranty, low miles and you save significant $$$ to spend on toys and upgrades.

I accessed the sub floor of G-ronimo today. Under the 3/8" rubber is 3/4" marine grade plywood so rebating and anchoring the tied downs should be straight forward.

Good idea on the tent awning on the rear. Come spring I will need to do my awning. I prefer to be outside in fair weather. I have to figure out a way to make the stove easily detachable so I can use it inside and out. I don't want to have to carry two. I have a much nicer stove that I might use, all stainless with a grill.

I'm still getting used to having a fridge. The problem is that it is smaller and the food takes up most of the space. No more beer, just mixed drinks from now on and maybe some wine. Yum, a nice chilled white with some fresh caught stream trout and asparagus (both cooked directly on the coals of the fire, a spritz of lemon).

The expedition off-road trailers these days are becoming pretty awesome and they hardly limit where you can go. I'm interested to see how yours works out.

Do you get to the US much? You'll have to do a trip across the pond some time and come camp/adventure with all of us Expo folks. We'll show you a good time. A 20' shipping container to Houston and a plane ticket is all you need. You should do it while business is slow, once it picks up its too much work and not enough play. Rommel wants to conquer the southwestern USA!

William

Capo

Happy Camper
I know what you mean. I am sooo looking forward to spring and fair weather in general. The short days kill me.

I didn't do much work on the camper this weekend, although I did put in a solar day/night roof fan on the aluminum cap. It is like the ones used on sailboats. I'll post some pics this week.

I do the same with vehicles; slightly used, one owner, dealer serviced, warranty, low miles and you save significant $$$ to spend on toys and upgrades.

I accessed the sub floor of G-ronimo today. Under the 3/8" rubber is 3/4" marine grade plywood so rebating and anchoring the tied downs should be straight forward.

Good idea on the tent awning on the rear. Come spring I will need to do my awning. I prefer to be outside in fair weather. I have to figure out a way to make the stove easily detachable so I can use it inside and out. I don't want to have to carry two. I have a much nicer stove that I might use, all stainless with a grill.

I'm still getting used to having a fridge. The problem is that it is smaller and the food takes up most of the space. No more beer, just mixed drinks from now on and maybe some wine. Yum, a nice chilled white with some fresh caught stream trout and asparagus (both cooked directly on the coals of the fire, a spritz of lemon).

The expedition off-road trailers these days are becoming pretty awesome and they hardly limit where you can go. I'm interested to see how yours works out.

Do you get to the US much? You'll have to do a trip across the pond some time and come camp/adventure with all of us Expo folks. We'll show you a good time. A 20' shipping container to Houston and a plane ticket is all you need. You should do it while business is slow, once it picks up its too much work and not enough play. Rommel wants to conquer the southwestern USA!

William

I need to look at solar panels as well for battery charging. I've seen some nice looking film-thin panels which you can move around for optimal efficiency and stow them when on the move.

Good idea with a detachable stove, it's a nuisance cooking inside but very nice on a really cold day when the snow/rain is horizontal. That's my plan on the trailer too. For cooking outside I find that extra side panels (quite high) on the stove for wind protection save a lot of cooking gas and speeds up the cooking. It would be nice to see a pic of your stove with that grill option.

The Entdeckers carry two big fridges. I guess those guys really want both plenty of chilled wine/beers and food. I'll be having a regular size fridge on Rommel and a big one on the trailer. That should hopefully be enough for my needs and for the occasional sharing with friends you meet on the way.

That trout idea sounds very tasty! A friend of mine's brother is a marine biologist and he does research on trout and salmon. He worked for many years at a Californian University but now he's back to his native Spain. Anyway, he's a great guy and his name is Manu Esteve, he has posted some vids on YouTube. Manu did some research on autochthonous Moroccan trout species and that really got me going. I had no idea there were trout naturally in the Moroccan lakes and streams. Next time in Morocco I'm bringing a rod and getting a fishing permit!

The Australian camper trailer Conquerer is my inspiration. I wrote them asking whether it would be possible to tie down a dirt bike on top of their mid size trailer but they never wrote back. That's when the idea of converting the dirt bike trailer arose.

i used to go to the US often a few years back. I owned a business in Jacksonville FL and I have good friends in NY and Mexico so those three places would be my tour when I went west over the pond. Some day I'd like to accept your kind invitation, thanks! It would be great to see Arizona, New Mexico, Montana and Colorado - just to name a few places of really beautiful American outback. Like you say, America is just a 20' container away! So are Southern Europe and Africa. Come over some day! The fast ferry which connects the two continents is only a 30min ride! I take the two hour ferry to Morocco cause it gives me time to do immigrations which they conveniently have installed onboard to save the tourists some time. On the return trip I take the half hour ferry. Lots of overlanders, dirt bike adventurers and road bikers from all over Europe go all year round but the summer is way too hot IMO. Me and a couple of friends from my classic sports car club are planning on going. From what I've heard there are some quite prestigious classic car rallies in Morocco. It is one of the few places in Northern Africa you can still go to without getting into trouble. I hope it remains a peaceful place to visit for years to come.

Morocco is like a mixture between California and Spain in a setting from the sixties.

Last edited:

cols110

Observer
The Australian camper trailer Conquerer is my inspiration. I wrote them asking whether it would be possible to tie down a dirt bike on top of their mid size trailer but they never wrote back. That's when the idea of converting the dirt bike trailer arose.

Conquerer trailers are made in South Africa, doubled in price with a few mods and then sold in Australia.

If you are serious about a camper trailer South Africa is the place to go shopping.

Here is the best forum I have found regarding trailers.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=246

McBride

Adventurer
Capo, you have a free place to stay here in OR if you wanna. You too William!

Jeremy,

Very gracious. Thank you. Ditto for you in NM.

Are you going to venture to the Expo this year? If so I'll be there. You can't miss me. I'll be in G-Ronimo, probably parked out as far as possible to the west. I'll bring plenty of good beverages.

Someday, somewhere I will rendezvous with Capo out in the bush and have some drinks, food and conversation. I! know it will be a blast. It is now on my list! Iceland maybe. It would be extraordinary. Africa would too.

Continue to work hard and save up. We could ship the G's to Spain and take the ferry to Morocco; Capo knows the lay of the land. Drive around in the mountains and sand dunes in the G's and catch some of those Moroccan trout. It would be good for the spirit.

William

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy,

Are you going to venture to the Expo this year? If so I'll be there. You can't miss me. I'll be in G-Ronimo, probably parked out as far as possible to the west. I'll bring plenty of good beverages.

Someday, somewhere I will rendezvous with Capo out in the bush and have some drinks, food and conversation. I! know it will be a blast. It is now on my list! Iceland maybe. It would be extraordinary. Africa would too.

Continue to work hard and save up. We could ship the G's to Spain and take the ferry to Morocco; Capo knows the lay of the land. Drive around in the mountains and sand dunes in the G's and catch some of those Moroccan trout. It would be good for the spirit.

William

Certainly! You just wouldn't want to move to OR--too much rain. ;)
Thank you, never been to NM!

Yes, I'm aiming to head down with my friend Mike and his XV-JP-NW; http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/51254-EarthRoamer-XV-JP-quot-Northwest-Edition-quot
We'll seek you out!(Mike has been drooling over G-ronimo online)

Capo

Happy Camper
Jeremy,

William

Iceland is a place I've only been to once 20 years ago. It was a stopover so I grabbed a rental car at the airport and had a quick look around. I would love to go again in the G. New Zealand and Hokkaido are also places I'd like to explore with the G or a classic sports car. Like earlier stated, any place is only a 20' container away.

Speaking of containers, I'm looking at the possibility to have a Viking boat built to fit in a 40' container to be shipped and sailed at different interesting places on the globe. In 2012 I commissioned a Norwegian ship yard to build a 55' Viking boat but this container freight option is attractive so I'm seriously considering downscaling to just below 40'. I've already bought and dried prime oak timber for the build but the project is temporarily on hold due to lack of funds. I spent last season learning the Viking sailing techniques in a small 17' version which I commissioned at the same ship yard. As a Scandinavian working with ships I think it's a splendid project, both for me a and for Scandinavian ships culture!

This 17' Viking boat has been nominated "Best Traditional New Build" by the boat magazine Classic Boat. You can still vote for the nominees. If you would like to help it win, here's the link: http://www.classicboat.co.uk/awards2014/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

McBride

Adventurer
Iceland is a place I've only been to once 20 years ago. It was a stopover so I grabbed a rental car at the airport and had a quick look around. I would love to go again in the G. New Zealand and Hokkaido are also places I'd like to explore with the G or a classic sports car. Like earlier stated, any place is only a 20' container away.

Speaking of containers, I'm looking at the possibility to have a Viking boat built to fit in a 40' container to be shipped and sailed at different interesting places on the globe. In 2012 I commissioned a Norwegian ship yard to build a 55' Viking boat but this container freight option is attractive so I'm seriously considering downscaling to just below 40'. I've already bought and dried prime oak timber for the build but the project is temporarily on hold due to lack of funds. I spent last season learning the Viking sailing techniques in a small 17' version which I commissioned at the same ship yard. As a Scandinavian working with ships I think it's a splendid project, both for me a and for Scandinavian ships culture!

This 17' Viking boat has been nominated "Best Traditional New Build" by the boat magazine Classic Boat. You can still vote for the nominees. If you would like to help it win, here's the link: http://www.classicboat.co.uk/awards2014/

I can understand reaching and running with the square rig bit can't quite get my mind around sailing into the wind; unless the COE is forward of the CLR. Then I can imagine it. Would have notable weather helm then, but a little bit is manageable. How high can it point? Steer with an oar ( on weather or lee)? The transportability of a container boat would be awesome and open up a whole new world. The bow and stern sprits (not sure of the proper term) would have to fit in a high cube - just under 9'.

Your boat got my vote ( I voted). Hands down the coolest. The others were very nice traditional builds, but the Viking is very intriguing. I'd say that victory is highly likely. Let us know how it goes.

They use a white oak I assume. What is the source?

Where is Hokkaido?

Sorry for so many questions. I love wooden boats; bought the full size patterns for the "Spray" when I was 25 - some day.

Seeing that this is a G forum, one more question. How do you like the G400? I don't think they were sold in the US. Reliable? Powerful? V8 diesel sounds awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach