How Would You Spec It? Ovrlnd Camper

dstefan

Congratulations! If you haven't seen it yet, there‘s an Ovrlnd thread.

aaaslayer

Did you pay the $450 for the fan option, then ship them the fan that you paid for out of pocket as well? I don't like the fan that they are offering either but it seems to me like I shouldn't be paying $450 on top my own fan and not using their fan. It doesn't seem to me like they would subtract the price of their fan unless they did it for you.
No, I paid the labor install only, I think it was $250? I got an upgraded fan on Amazon for like $230 . Pay them the labor to do it, and purchase the fan of your choice.

montechie

I'm picking mine up in 2 weeks for my Gladiator, high level I did:
  • Barn Doors + windows in both
  • Hatch on both sides with a Tern window in each, we wanted the ability for gear access, light, view, but still have the built in bug screen, hard to break windows, etc of the tern.
  • Full length Rhino tracks, we're skiers and also want to carry other stuff up there when traveling. Also wanted lots of space to work around the roof fan
  • Arctic pack, we like camping in the winter in the mountains as much as the summer. A big reason for getting the Ovrlnd specifically is the lightweight + being able to insulate. As opposed to a slide-in (heavy) or a GFC (close to us, but not easy to insulate).
  • Counter top - for a standup desk when I do workations.
  • Anodized aluminum
  • Vinyl windows in the canvas, so we can see out of the penthouse :)
  • Maxxfan
Lots of windows, although we want warm for winter the point of getting out is to see scenery, and the point of this camper is to have a place away from Montana bears, mosquitos, and the weather. For bedding we are going to continue using our 4" Big Agnes foam+air pads, they are super warm and comfortable. Insulation-wise I'm planning on using Havlock wool to avoid the inherent moisture issues the typical insulation options have, and the advantages of using wool in general. Haven't decided on what I want to cover it with for panels.

Beyond that I'm going to wait and see how we use it and how we need to store stuff while traveling. We don't go heavy on the camping gear, but usually have a couple mountain bikes, and/or BC skis + all the gear that entails. I'm still using the truck bed as a truck, so things have to be durable or easily removable on the inside. Has to standup to knocks from my studded fatbike tires, dirty mountain bike tires, and my clumsiness throwing random stuff in. I'm pretty excited to get it. We've had a couple of fiberglass toppers or just used backpacking tents in the past.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
After picking mine up and playing around with it I don't think I would change a thing except maybe add the full length roof track. A bit more involved to add them after the fact but I'll figure it out.

I like having the 1 windoor and don't see a need for one on each side (for me).

Very glad I skipped having any windows. There's no need and insulating will be way easier. Plus less opportunities for leaks and the cost saving is huge.

Glad I got the vinyl cover in the popup portion. Helps let a lot of light in when wanted but keeps the breeze out.

I like the AF cabover but most folks should probably get the extra height. I find myself in areas with lots of tight overhangs so I am glad it's as low as it is and I like the cnc bent solid piece for adding accessories and insulating. Plus anything to help gas mileage is a win right now.

Glad I didn't get anodized or powder coating. Never had good luck with those holding up to branches etc. I like the look of the all aluminum and the cost saving is nice.

I like the barn doors but one significant draw back is they just use standard hinges so they fly around loose all over and closing them from inside is a pain. I am looking at adding a friction/torque hinge so the door stays put in any position. I could go either way on the barn doors if I was ordering again.

dstefan

I like the barn doors but one significant draw back is they just use standard hinges so they fly around loose all over and closing them from inside is a pain. I am looking at adding a friction/torque hinge so the door stays put in any position. I could go either way on the barn doors if I was ordering again.
+ 1 on this!

I’ll be real interested if you figure this out. Ive been looking at friction hinges, but with the large gap our doors have, I’m not finding any large enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater