Howski's Defender 90 Build Thread

Howski

Two weeks ago I traded my 2004 DII in for a 1984 Diesel Defender 90. I drive frequently for my new job and was lucky enough to pick up an excellent daily driver on the cheap. This presented an opportunity for me to get a vehicle that wasn't quite as DD friendly. It was tough for me to part with the Disco
DII.jpg
but it was begining to have issue more frequently and was getting absolutely terrible gas mileage (even for a Rover) so now seemed as good of a time as any to part with it. I was able to work a deal to trade my DII straight up for my dream vehicle, a Defender 90.

The frame and body were in excellent shape, however this Defender was a very bare bones truck. I knew it would need some cosmetic work on the interior (paint, mats, headliner) and also some basic creature comforts (a decent sound system) to get it where I'd like it to be. I figured I was up for the task moved forward with plans for the trade. The planned meeting spot was Charleston, SC. Once arriving there Saturday around lunch time, I gave the truck a look over and quick test drive where it drove excellent. I adapted quicker than I thought to driving on the wrong (right) side of the car, even with the 5 speed manual transmission. A few signed papers and the deal was done. I had initially planned on camping somewhere close to Charleston for the night and leaving the next morning to avoid a day with 13 hours of driving. However, my weekend got a little more exciting when a college friend was visiting the beach and going to a Hootie and the Blowfish concert that weekend. We had an excellent time at the beach (perfect weather) and at the concert. I also had the opportunity to check out downtown Charleston (very cool) where we ate lunch at Hyman's Seafood (excellent food and service). The drive home was long, especially without a radio, but shifting gears and listening to the turbo spool up kept me smiling. Enough about my weekend, here's a picture of the new ride
d90.jpg

I have already removed the mud flaps, factory side steps and cumbersome hitch that was on it this week. I didn't care for them cosmetically and only saw them as anchors that would get mangled on the trails. The wheel/tire combo that came with it is pretty awful, not only asthetically but for off road use. I knew this would be my first change and with plans to attend the SOLAROS Southern Appalachian Expedition next month I wanted to get this done promptly. I was lucky enough to find a great set of used tires locally and purchased a set of alloys which should be here later this week (pics to follow). I am trying to be responsible and pay down my debt from graduate school sooner than later so this will likely be a slow build. I plan on keeping this truck for a very, very long time so it makes the slow pace bearable. Next on the list, with no exact timetable, will be a UK MUD dash kit, stereo and painting the interior (in no particular order).

Cheers:beer:

Last edited:

LtFuzz

Explorer
Nice truck, although we need better pictures!

And I'll take those mudflaps off your hands if you don't want 'em anymore.

Howski

Nice truck, although we need better pictures!

And I'll take those mudflaps off your hands if you don't want 'em anymore.

Thanks! I'll try to get some more pics after the new wheels/tires are on. That's just a quick one I shot with my iPhone

PM sent about mudflaps

Howski

Painting the interior? What color?

I'll paint the roof white but unsure of the rest. I'd like to go body color so I may just wait until I can have the exterior repainted as well (either all white or arles blue w/white top). It's currently a respray, which is fine for now, but I'd like to go with a different color and new paint job down the road.

eddyspitz

it is an excellent project to develop in concordance with their own needs, even if you do not need the mud flaps, and the side steps could sell (if so let me know, and as I'm concerned).

LR Max

Local Oaf
Does it have power steering?

From my understanding, if not, retrofitting it isn't that bad. Off road you will want the power steering.

Howski

Does it have power steering?

From my understanding, if not, retrofitting it isn't that bad. Off road you will want the power steering.

No PAS. It's not on my short list but when I start hitting some trails (and getting lockers, etc) I will consider adding.

On another note, I managed to cut a small slit in the fuel tank yesterday while removing one of the factory side steps:mad:. This was absolutely stupid of me. Basically the tip of the saw caught the top corner of the tank and put a slit no thicker than a penny less than 1" wide in the tank. Just need to use a more patience (and lighting) in the future. Hopefully I'll get a chance to partially drop the tank after work today and patch it

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
We definitly look forward to seeing you & the new Defender at SAE next month. We've got a huge amount of stuff to raffle & auction.
Plus sometimes people show up with bits to sell, that's how I got my Wolf's & G90's a few years ago.
See ya,
Mike

winn442

Give me a call....I'm over in Americus, got a decent little workshop, lots of spare parts, and can do just about anything to a rover.....be glad to help you out.....229-389-1766

We can drool over the wife's '10 110, maybe she'll let us drive it....

Probably won't be able to go to SAE, have a Boy Scout father -son rafting trip the same weekend....

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
Winn's good people . . . . just don't let him drive it off road. There's pic's around somewhere of his hybrid:Wow1:.

Seriously, he's as knowledgeable as anyone you'll find with Rovers and a pretty damn good driver.

We drove every trail but one at Beasley and he stayed with us in a stone stock RRC with street tires!

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater