Hummer H3T pickup announced

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Fireman78 said:
evldave said:
I talked with their 'most experienced' salesperson, he didn't even know the alphas came with a CI front diff. Not a whole lot of help :mad:

QUOTE]

Hilarious! So true man! I am getting to the point of just "giving up" trying to explain to people the locking differentials on my Power Wagon.
Wait... er those fer keepin people ferm steelin yer rig??????? ;)

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Shovel said:
That's cool, GM doesn't even acknowledge the existence of cast iron front diffs on 4x4 S10's, but M/T equipped extended cab pickups assembled in Kentucky from 1996-2002 all have 'em. The cast iron housing doesn't have its own part number and can't be ordered.. go figure? :pROFSheriffHL:

15920599 - Part # for front cast iron differential for the H3.

Of course if go to the parts guy at just about any dealer and ask for it without knowing the number, they'll probably look at you like you asked him about the impact of string theory on Eistein's theory of relativity.:p

I know of at least one person who successfully retro'd a CI front dif into a non-Alpha H3 (and under warrantee too!). He just paid the cost difference between the two and got the upgrade...of course this was because he grenaded the front dif in the first place (I think a total of 3 times).

jl8088

Adventurer
regardless of all the loving or hating of the H3T. I am very impressed that it will have Front and Rear Locking differentials. That is huge! The only other vehicles i know that have this are the Mercedes G wagon and the 80 series Landcruisers/LX450s, both of which have a solid front axle.

I can't wait to see this vehicle run thru the courses by the major magazines and aftermarket companies.

I too would hope for the diesel and could imagine myself in this vehicle with a Honda CRF450X in the back trying to find the most remote spot in the world to do some wheeling and riding.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
jl8088 said:
regardless of all the loving or hating of the H3T. I am very impressed that it will have Front and Rear Locking differentials. That is huge! The only other vehicles i know that have this are the Mercedes G wagon and the 80 series Landcruisers/LX450s, both of which have a solid front axle.

I can't wait to see this vehicle run thru the courses by the major magazines and aftermarket companies.

I too would hope for the diesel and could imagine myself in this vehicle with a Honda CRF450X in the back trying to find the most remote spot in the world to do some wheeling and riding.
Jeep Rubicons, Dodge Powerwagons, and 78 series cruisers all have them as well.

98sr5

Observer
yeah the fj, wrangler are on there too what does that tell you. i wouldnt buy one just not my style and no stick in the more powerful engine. they dont like anything that doesnt ride like a plush good handling car with plus 25mpgs and power to boot

DaveM

Explorer
Regarding all the negative talk about the Hummers. The real problem that I see is that GM made the mistake of bringing out a vehicle that was tied to the original Humvee in body style only, that was way over weight for it’s suspension and steering and lacked real off road performance. It got a ton of bad press from off road guys and became a suburban status symbol. Now that they are refining the platform they have an uphill battle against the bad PR the original Hummer created. The truck may be improving but they’ll have to try harder to change minds now that people are familiar with the first gen Hummer and it’s shortcomings. Which looked to a lot of customers to be the sacrifice of function over style.

For me personally, I am always wary of any off road vehicle with that much “styling”. Granted it has nothing directly to do with performance but it’s my cue as a buyer to know who the truck is being marketed to and therefore who and what use it was designed for. The same goes for the FJCrusier. Very capable truck from what I read, but the bad visibility tells me something about what Toyota is willing to sacrifice for looks.

Just some thoughts.

98sr5

Observer
yeah i know same thing with the fj just not my style they should have done a large rear side window kind of like a troopie or something it would have been better imho

haven

Expedition Leader
H3T Storm Chaser

h3t-storm-chaser.jpg

Motor Trend has a lengthy article describing the outfitting and use
of a Hummer H3T by a team chasing tornadoes in the Plains states.
The vehicle was chosen for its maneuverability, ability to handle the
muddy roads, and capability to scout routes for the big trucks carrying
large radar dishes.

The Hummer's narrow windows and upright windshield were an asset
for this application, since they were less likely to be damaged by hail!

Read the article here
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/travel/163_0912_hummer_h3t_storm_chaser/index.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk