i <3 ethanol free gas

KiwiKurt

Explorer
i was at about 2/3 tank...maybe a little less....filled up at an ethanol free pump before hitting the road. last time i drove this route i got about 20.4mpg, and at the same speed with ethanol free mixed in i got 24.2mpg. huge difference....i had no idea the difference would be that much.

im hoping on a tank of completely ethanol free to get 25. too bad its so hard to find....(thats probably a different discussion for a different thread...)

cheers!

jonny.jpg

Adventurer
nice!

It could be the place you got it at too.

Some places put fuel injector within the gas to attract more customers.

-Jonny

KiwiKurt

Explorer
nice!

It could be the place you got it at too.

Some places put fuel injector within the gas to attract more customers.

-Jonny

it was advertised as ethanol free. separate pump, more expensive than other 87. i only have 1500 miles on the truck and fill up with shell 89 usually so even if they did push fi cleaner theres no way its going to net 20% better economy.

im going to get a full tank next time and see if the gain is consistent and report back.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Not surprised - ethanol has less energy than gas.

Your lucky to even find it, around here, only marinas and airports sell ethanol free fuel and it is very expensive.

I have heard rumors that Premium fuels do not have ethanol in them, but can't prove it.

Last edited:

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Not surprised - ethanol has less energy that gas.

Your lucky to even find it, around here, only marinas and airports sell ethanol free fuel and it is very expensive.

I have heard rumors that Premium fuels do not have ethanol in them, but can't prove it.

Actually, ethanol burns at a HIGHER Octane than Gasoline. You will have a slight power increase from it but your mileage will suffer. That's why I've always said E85 (aside from issues with seals etc) would have to be 1/2 the price of gasoline to be worth the $

Allof75

Pathfinder
Not surprising- les energy density and not to mention the general stupidity behind its political push. But whatever, glad to hear you made a difference! I know even the usual 10% ethanol sold here can wreak havoc on my much older bikes and cars not designed for it.

summerprophet

Adventurer
Your results are higher than typical at a 20% increase. Average increase in fuel economy is usually in the range of 5 to 10% by running non-ethanol fuel. My 2000 Toyota Tundra sits right at 10% more efficiency.

Per statements by brighter minds than me behind the ethanol mix, vehicles made after 2002 should have less of a difference between the two fuel types.

Of primary concern is small engines (chainsaws, trimmers, mowers), where ethanol actually deteriorates rubber fuel lines. If you are letting small gas engines sit, it would be in your best interest to drain the fuel, OR replace the rubber fuel lines annually. The problem is the rubber decays and small pieces burn in the cylinder with the fuel.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I dont understand all the science, but ethanol can increase realized octane in a sense. Lots of turbo guys run e85 for hp with huge injectors. While the realized octane is higher, the energy available is still less than gasoline, hence the mpg difference.

I was surpised at the mileage difference, but it was the same route with the cruise control set at 60 the whole way. Only change was the fuel. Ill be interested to see if the gain is consistent.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Dunno. E15 not getting mandated is because of the huge push back against it, and its probably only a delay. E15 will come back in a few years when a new batch of politicians comes around.

E10 will never go away, I dont think. Its too much stimulus for corn farmers and no politician is going to shoot themselves in the foot over it. The farming lobby pushes extremely hard for it, and the decision is political not scientific. As long as we insist on producing and distributing our food supply the way we do and subsidizing things we shouldnt, we will always have this problem of being forced to buy things we dont want and dont need and that dont make sense.

In a few years they will quietly mandate that manufacturers build the vehicles to support e15, and then a few years after that will roll out e15 at the pump.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Actually, ethanol burns at a HIGHER Octane than Gasoline. You will have a slight power increase from it but your mileage will suffer. That's why I've always said E85 (aside from issues with seals etc) would have to be 1/2 the price of gasoline to be worth the $

The octane is higher, so a more controlled burn, but the energy density is less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach