I bought someone else's project, have I made a terrible mistake?

subytoy

Observer
I bought this thing from a buddy who needed money. I need to do some work on it as the axle is way too far back. The tongue weight is about 600 lbs.
Craig

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    777.9 KB · Views: 726
D

Deleted member 9101

Neat project. But I wouldn't move the axle, I'd add a carrier on the back for a dirt bike...lol.

Patman

Explorer
Naturally depends on what you're into it, but move the axle forward, lift it a little while you're at it.

That is a 4wc poptop right?

koolex11

Observer
I don't think it's a mistake at all. You got an axle, a frame, a camper body, and whatever is inside. They are just all in the wrong place! Most people spend months or years locating all the different components; you have most of them right here. You just need to disassemble and rearrange! As long as you didn't pay too much, I'd say you have a great project here. I would have bought it for the right price.

One major problem I see [some more pics would be helpful ;)] is that you don't have much of a turning radius. You need to put some proper drawbars on there that stick out 4 feet or so. You probably want to do that before you move the axle, because it will affect the center of gravity even more.

So how about some more pics! Raise it up and show the inside, I would love to see more...

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I LIKE IT!
a pop up truck camper, utility boxes, and camo paint what else could you ask for?
a little less tongue weight? Major fab work to do that. Keep this as a camping special.

Post more pictures with the top up.

Last edited:

EWS

Observer
Move axle forward, increase spring/axle height,increase draw bar lenght. Nice starting project !!¬!

jronwood

Adventurer
No mistake, you need to add "something" to the back so the axle IS in the middle. How about an XR650 / XT600 on a carrier platform at the back.

Jronwood

80DDYota

Weekend project to move the axle back. The fenders are mounted on the outside with two brakets. If the springs have simple hangers, sweet, easy. Nice buy though, easier to change it than it is to build the same one from scratch. Its a keeper.

Toyotero

Explorer
It looks like a great trailer with a lot of promise.

It looks like it is narrower where the axle is now than where you'd want it to have better balance... is he axle wide enough for the forward area? If now, you can widen it or get it widened, it's not difficult.

Also, it looks like you'll cover where the door is for what appears to be a storage compartment. You could consider halving the size of the door and keeping the full storage compartment. Now quite as convenient as the big door, but still workable.

Moving the axle forward, you'll open up some area behind the tires at the back of the fender... perfect space for a 5 gal fuel can and a propane tank.

Best of luck!

subytoy

Observer
It started life as a 4wheel pop up slide-in camper and a tandem axle trailer. The builder was going to put a rack on the back for a motorcycle, but changed his mind.
I'm going to move the axle forward 12" and see how it pulls. More pics are on the way.

Craig

subytoy

Observer
I moved the axle forward 11", now I can pick up the tongue. I still want to lift it and change the bolt pattern to match my 80. I just have too many projects going on right now.
001.JPG

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3