I can't deicide which tire!!

madmaths

Observer
Have you looked at Rock Krawler?

yes I have but its very expensive! more then the aev! I think I will go with teraflex 2.5 ( coil and shocks..) teraflex have some very good review! the price is very good! 2.5'' its all I need!

Last edited:
A

AngryRedBird

We're entering a cross roads.. Soon new tires will be needs for our 08 Wrangler.. The issue is to lift or not to lift.. and depending on which we will do will determine which tire size we'll purchase.. The Duratrac tires have really caught my attention.. Mainly because they are load rated D.. I was tired of the load C tires and never knew how stiff the load E tires were until reading a few forum topics.

If lifting.. We'll install the Daystar budget boost (shocks & coil spacers) However, I've yet to decide if I want to leave the factory isolaters/retainers on the jeep then install the spacers or remove the factories.. and just run on the spacers.. Which a spokesmen from Daystar has admitted that it could be done this way. In essence and instead of 2'' Plus.. We're looking in the 1'' range.

One thing will remain.. The tires.. Nothing extremely big but that will withstand a bit more weight than a load C.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
yes I have but its very expensive! more then the aev! I think I will go with teraflex 2.5 ( coil and shocks..) teraflex have some very good review! the price is very good! 2.5'' its all I need!
Teraflex works fine.
Address the caster angle proactively and use a better bolt for the trackbar relocation bracket than they give you.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hill.. Would this bolt be similar to the Grade 8 9/16ths (upgrade) as used on the trackbar?.
Same idea; remove a failure point before it fails.
I sheared the trackbar bolt on my Teraflex suspension the first time I took it out. Replaced it with a grade higher than what they supplied (free from Southern Offroad).

nater

Adventurer
If you want to keep it conservative and not worry about axles, the BFG AT KO2 is being released March 1st in 34x10.5x17... Just adding an excellent all around option in a new size to the discussion.

jkuaz

I sold the budget boost kit and I will return the body lift kit! ;) waiting for some price but I'm looking at teraflex 2,5 , bds 3'' , rubicon express 2,5 and aev 2.5
;)

I have the AEV 2.5 and the Nittos 35" on my JKU. Did some rock crawling, lots of other offloading, as well as high speed highway runs. Have almost 10k miles on them.

I highly recommend both. For the AEV, get the geometry correction kit as well.

Good luck.

Portal_Old

It rains EVERY day
If you want to keep it conservative and not worry about axles, the BFG AT KO2 is being released March 1st in 34x10.5x17... Just adding an excellent all around option in a new size to the discussion.

these have been getting amazing reviews. they will be my next tire.

A

AngryRedBird

Welp final word has been handed down. Red has given me the go headed and start pricing a few tires.. but I've already made up my mind.. The Goodyear Duratracs will be our next option for the 08 jeep wrangler. I seen a set of these yesterday examining a parked jeep via Home Depot.. Thou I wasn't able to tell if the jeep was lifted.. and the jeep was debadged.. so it's not clue as to if it was a Rubicon.. I like the look of these tires.. and according to what I seen, theses tires will give the jeep a slight boost without the jeep being lifted. These tires are running about $155.00 per tire.. and I can't see spending $250.00 or more per tire on other brands.. However, because of the savings.. we may opt for better/upgraded wheels.. I would hope that someone is either getting rid of their Rubicon wheels or we'll see what's out there worth looking into.. Prob an argent color wheel.

I will add that the 33/12.50R15 GY Duratracs on my 2012 Wrangler have performed well in a variety of conditions (pavement, rain, ice, snow, rocks, slickrock, sand, mud, etc) over the past 29,000 miles with frequent off road use in Colorado and Utah. I have no complaints, and I may get another set when these wear out. I had them rotated and balanced at Discount Tire yesterday and they are still at 11/32" tread depth.

A

AngryRedBird

@codesertrat Although I wished that a wider tire (duratrac) could be placed on the jeep.. I would assuming that the 255/75/17 is an allowable alternative and very close to the current stock Mud Terrain tire.. Without knowing the tread depth you're referring to.. in yoru approximation.. how many more mile would your current tires last? I do not want to purchase something that turns slick at or about 23,K miles like the mud terrains did. Clearly the previous owner/s did some off roading.. but more on roading.

Original tread depth is 18/32" on this size. At 11/32" now, the siping of the tread blocks is still there, and I've seen no appreciable deterioration in icy/snowy/wet weather performance. by the numbers, I can probably get another 20K miles until worn out, but I usually buy new tires sooner than worn out and then sell the old ones on craigslist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk