I got a Wildernest!

adrenaline503

Explorer
I got a Wildernest! <<Now With Pictures>>

Well, I finally made up my mind and bought a Wildernest for 350 bucks yesterday. It seems to be in excellent shape for the most part, the only pieces that are missing are the aluminum v shaped pieces that push out the ventilation windows. The shell itself is in good shape for its age, but It will probably need to be repainted. It came with the gear net, curtains and the original mattress. The foam will of course need to be replaced. So, the only real task other than replacing some rusty hardware will be the paint job. The fiberglass is pitted here and there, like the resin has broken down somewhat. Is there a way to re-glass it or do you paint over it? Its not severe, but it does drive me nuts and I do want to fix it. I think the can remove the tent and windows easily enough, so that should save me some money. As usual, any advice will be appreciated. Oh, thanks to Kermit as well for answering all my questions and offering excellent advice.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
What color is it? It's probably not painted if it's white. If the shell is badly pitted, then you can re-gel the skin, but that would be a pretty big job. I've only tackled spot get recoats and a few structural re-glassings. If it's bad, I would probably fill the pits and paint it rather than attempt to put a new gel coat on. If it was in bad shape, then I would maybe fill the cracks or pits with something and then paint it.

FWIW, fiberglass needs to be waxed just like any painted surface. For gel coats that are just dull and starting to get oxidized, I personally use a 3M boat polish which is abrasive (#09005) or a cleaner/wax (#09010) that lightly abrasive. And once a year I give mine a coat of plain marine liquid wax (#09026). I apply both with a random orbit polisher.

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I have no idea where you live but if you are in a marine/boat environment then you might consider getting a few coats for someone to re-gelcoat your nest.

Sweet score, can't wait for a few pics.

Rezarf <><

adrenaline503

Explorer
Luckily I live in Seattle so there are a million boat places, plus I am in the CG so that helps. Has anyone totally removed the tent portion before? I want to replace some hardware, and of course when I get it painted or glassed I'll need it tent out. Weather permitting I will some photos tomorrow.

DaveInDenver

adrenaline503 said:
Has anyone totally removed the tent portion before?
I have, but to replace the tent on a truck years ago. It's not something you want to do often, it's a huge pain to get back on. Also just about every one of the screw holes will need to be filled since the screws rust and strip. I personally drill them up a couple of sizes and epoxy in new pieces of dowel when it happens. To do that the hundred times or whatever the number of screws there will take some time. I personally do repairs with the tent in place. I close a big piece of round foam weatherstrip (the stuff designed to be stuffed between walls and door jambs) between the lip on the shell and the edge of the top (where the black edge guard is). This keeps out most of the dust and liquid, a lot better than the regular weatherstrip.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Congratulations! :jumping:

The Wildernest is a great solution and it sounds like you got it for a steal. Hope it works out for you.

Put me on the waitin' for pics list, too -

Clutch

<---Pass
You're welcome and....Awesome! Has anyone mentioned you're a BOLD guy? :p $350!!! Duuuude, killer deal!

The tent looks like in better shape than mine. I think with a good cleaning/polishing on the 'glass, you'll be good to go.

Remember to BOLT, the 'Nest to the bed rail of the truck, DO NOT use those topper clamps. I use grade 8 cadium coated on mine.

If you want some measurements on the tent window braces let me know. Should be easy to make yourself.

As I mentioned earlier, DaveInDenver is an expert...(what doesn't Dave know!?, he's smarter than the average bear)...on the 'Nest. If I can't answer a question he surely can.

Ok, what does your girlfriend (wife?) think? :D

Last edited:

adrenaline503

Explorer
The Bad:

There is a sizable gap on both sides:

Because the giant plastic piece in the center is in the way:

Some damage to the fiberglass on the rear edge:

Some of the pitting in the gelcoat:

Typical Northwest flora:

adrenaline503

Explorer
My wife is pretty excited, its nicer than she had expected. The downside is that thing is heavy. Like you, I will need a few buddies to help load and unload it. I tried to polish the glass today without much luck. I might try a gel coat paint. Damn my perfectionist streak.

DaveInDenver

adrenaline503 said:
My wife is pretty excited, its nicer than she had expected. The downside is that thing is heavy. Like you, I will need a few buddies to help load and unload it. I tried to polish the glass today without much luck. I might try a gel coat paint. Damn my perfectionist streak.
What did you try to polish it with? I use a Porter Cable 7336SP sander with p/n 54745 pads. This thing will take oxidation off in no time and you have to be careful not to take the gel coat off completely if the polish has any sort of abrasive in it! Gel coat is not a paint, it's thin layer of smooth resin without fiberglass in it. It's used as the release layer (and it looks attractive and does not need to be painted, it's tinted...BTW, WilderNest used a tint called Toyota White, which I can't find anymore) when they mold the shell, it's sprayed in the mold first, then they spray in chipped fiberglass and resin to build up the body of the shell. I would do all you can to protect the gel coat because it's what protects the structure of the shell from chips, chemicals and UV. If it's in that bad of shape that it can't be polished, then I would lightly sand the whole thing to clean up oxidation, then paint it with a good filling primer to make it smooth and then paint it. But it's important to keep the gel coat in decent shape.

DaveInDenver

Your shell does look pretty oxidized. I would personally hit that with something stronger. I've had good luck with 3M #06011, which is a finishing compound. It works like the Dickens with power tools and anything stronger would eat the gel coat too fast. Follow with #09010 and it will be smooth. If you want it really smooth, I would wet sand after the 06011 using 1000 grit sandpaper, but that's seriously like glass. The boat polishes won't make it like paint, but it will be smooth because of the fresh wax. The key is to be careful of how fast you work on it, the gel coat isn't very thick on these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach