I have become A Vanaholic and need some advise please

wagoneer84

Hello all,

I am new to vans but have always wanted one but not sure which one to get. I am on a limited budget so I am leaning towards the Chevy or Gmc vans from the late 80s early 90s with the EFI. The reasoning for the GM van is that I have a 14bolt rear and a Dana 44HD front turbo 350 trans with 205 transfercase that was out of a Chevy truck. Now can I use this front end it is a passenger side drop, it seems like all the pics I see have a driver side drop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
You mainly see the D side drop on all 4x4 vans because of the drivetrain offset to the pass side. Space is limited on the right side, hard to fit the exhaust and shaft in there.

wagoneer84

Thank you for your reply, The exhaust didn't even cross my mind. So it looks like I need to find a different trans/transfercase combo and a Ford front axle. I am not opposed to A ford or Dodge build but I thought it might be easier to do a GM with what I had, guess not.

ihatemybike

Explorer
If you are set on a full size there are a couple ways to go.

Chevy did offer the Express 1500 with AWD. Torsion key lift in the front, shackle or spring lift the back and some slightly bigger tires will get you started. The AWD transfer case they used is fairly easy to swap out with dual range case. I suggest adding a traction devise to the rear diff before swapping transfer cases though. That's what I did with Grumpy and running with the local Jeep groups I've been able to walk the van up stuff that the lo-range/open diff Jeep struggled with. It's possible to find the Express AWD with factory limited slip.

Ford, there's a reason these seem to be modded for overland travel more than any other van. Specifically the relatively easy to find diesels, extensive aftermarket and mostly straight forward conversion to 4x4 using mostly Ford factory parts. If I wasn't so stuck on Astro vans, I'd most likely be driving an E-250 diesel 4x4.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Enablers...

Handing out beer at an AA meeting. Find a driver drop Ford axle and grab a '88+ GM NP241 it shares 6 bolt round and 27 spline input that will match the TH350. When GM went to IFS in '88 changed the transfercase to driver side drop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven