I have been researching the new 4 BT conversion for my JK

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
A 630 DOHC
3000 cc - 6 Cyl. - 24 Valve

All indications thus far point to this being in the 2013 Grand Cherokee in North America.
(It's already passed all required emissions testing)

I'll be amazed if someone doesn't come out with a conversion for the Wrangler.

-Dan

MOAK

Adventurer
hmmm

HPA Motorsport, builds a kit to use the VW diesel engine. Tweaked up just a bit, the VW engine has the same hp ratings and a little better torque ratings at 1700 to 2100 rpms, as the 4.0 litre inline 6, at 3400 rpms. If I were going to convert, I'd go with the VW conversion....I have the motori diesel in our Liberty CRD and love that motor but,, the trouble with that engine would be parts availability down the road. Maintenance engine parts, and replacement parts may be very difficult to find. VWs are everywhere. So if I have an injector blow out up near Fairbanks, or out by Saskatoon, I'm pretty sure I could just roll into the local VW shop, and get what I need.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
HPA Motorsport, builds a kit to use the VW diesel engine. Tweaked up just a bit, the VW engine has the same hp ratings and a little better torque ratings at 1700 to 2100 rpms, as the 4.0 litre inline 6, at 3400 rpms. If I were going to convert, I'd go with the VW conversion....I have the motori diesel in our Liberty CRD and love that motor but,, the trouble with that engine would be parts availability down the road. Maintenance engine parts, and replacement parts may be very difficult to find. VWs are everywhere. So if I have an injector blow out up near Fairbanks, or out by Saskatoon, I'm pretty sure I could just roll into the local VW shop, and get what I need.

Normally I would agree with you on this...VWs are everywhere. But I just don't think HPA's kit is a great match for the heavy JKs. You can build them (expensive) to put out better numbers but at what cost to longevity? If not willing to risk the VM motor (AFAIK the 3.0 is new/different than the old VM version and far different from the MB used in the previous Grand Cherks) then I'd be likely to look into a MB Sprinter motor. Those are great and MBs have pretty good worldwide parts availability. Guess it all depends on how deep one's pockets are?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
.I have the motori diesel in our Liberty CRD and love that motor but,, the trouble with that engine would be parts availability down the road. Maintenance engine parts, and replacement parts may be very difficult to find. VWs are everywhere. So if I have an injector blow out up near Fairbanks, or out by Saskatoon, I'm pretty sure I could just roll into the local VW shop, and get what I need.

I agree with you, but it's interesting to note that once the 3.0 is in the Grand Cherokee it will be in the Chrysler parts system.
Sure, a dealer in Fairbanks might not have the part you need on hand, but they can sure order it.

-Dan

RedRocker

Adventurer
I put an NV5600 in my 97 one ton Dodge and it is a big heavy transmission, I can't imagine
stuffing one in a Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal