IBS - Intelligent Battery Systems now available from Sierra Expeditions

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Sierra Expeditions is pleased to announce that we are now carrying IBS - Intelligent Battery Systems.

This computerized dual-battery manager kit was developed in Switzerland. This state-of-the-art system uses a RISC micro-computer to either isolate or link multiple batteries as needed. Normal operation separates the starting battery from the auxiliary battery to safely power electrical accessories when the vehicle isn't running. An override button links the batteries for high-load uses such as winching and is also used for self jump-starting. In-cab monitoring, which uses an LED display to show each battery's state of charge, is available. The system is offered in 12-volt and 24-volt models (controls four batteries). Installation involves an included power cable and a pre-made four-wire harness. The IBS won a Global Media Award as one of the best new products at the 2009 SEMA Show.

large_2074_IBS-DBM.jpg

Dual Battery Systems (DBS) kits include:
  • 200A Relay (12v Systems)
  • In-cab monitor with flush mount (optional mounts available)
  • Wire Harness
  • 10' of 4g positive and negative cables
  • All connectors needed to complete installation

Features:
  • Low Battery Alarm on both batteries (Beeping and flashing LEDs) - Can be de-activated by pressing display button.
  • Selectable display (bright or dim)
  • Link Failure alarm (beeping and flashing LED)
  • Forcible Link Deactivation in case of aux battery failure.
  • Bi-Directional Automatic Battery Linking
  • Manual Battery Linking - 30 & 120 min

Installation is easy with only 4 small gauge wires that need to be feed through the firewall, no clips or funky connectors. You can see the install of our unit we used for testing here and here.
large_2074_DBM_Schem.jpg

The optional mounting brackets make installing the Battery Monitor a breeze, there is three mounting brackets in case the include flush mount just doesn't do the unit justice:

Swivel Mount:

detail_2076_Swivel_MNT.jpg

Horizontal Mount:
detail_2077_Swivel_mount.jpg

Goose-neck Mount:

detail_2078_Gooseneck.jpg

At this time 24v options are not available, but should you want us to bring some in on the next inbound shipment please let us know.

alan

Explorer
Great product, but I would'nt say it was new, I've had one in my patrol for 6years, the only down side is the relay.

flyingwil

Great product, but I would'nt say it was new, I've had one in my patrol for 6years, the only down side is the relay.

X2.

TJM used to rebrand this product as their own for several years now

T-max also re-badges them as well.

Alan, from our research the new kits include a different relay with safe working loads of 200Amps and capable of spikes to 500A. In testing, we had no issues with the relay testing under load (winching, jump starting others, Etc..) so this leads me to ask if your relay was the same style as shown above or if it was the older style relay without the uC?

flyingwil

That been the case, what set them apart to justify the price gap ( 140.00 to 360.00 )? :confused:

T-max uses the orginal Battery Monitor (prior version) meaning no dimmer, constant display, requires in-line fuses, and has the kludgy solenoid. The IBS kit also has all cables and hardware to complete installation.
KO47-3800.jpg
vs:
IBS%20007.JPG
+
IBS%20008.JPG

It is basically new vs. old models and also includes a welding cable to complete installation.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

mikelite80

Adventurer
Is there or can there be an option to get just the relays and controller? I've currently got the National Luma system installed and I believe I'm having the same problems you had. All my heavy cable is nicely done so I have no need for those connectors or cable. I'm ready for a better system!!

Mike

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Is there or can there be an option to get just the relays and controller? I've currently got the National Luma system installed and I believe I'm having the same problems you had. All my heavy cable is nicely done so I have no need for those connectors or cable. I'm ready for a better system!!

Mike

For reference what problems are you having with the Luna?

Wil, looks like a nice kit, I'll have to keep them in mind for customer installs!

rugbier

Adventurer
Thanks for clarifying, I was just curious as I am installing Dual Batteries on my 110 and indeed will need a Management system; my prior experience resides with the TJM ( never had a problem ) and the Wrangler , also no problems.

I do like the new solenoid, ( not so worried about the cables for the batteries as I need very short wires) , the dimming sounds like a neat idea, but being the cheap guy that I am, I am trying to justify in my head the difference

Thanks again

T-max uses the orginal Battery Monitor (prior version) meaning no dimmer, constant display, requires in-line fuses, and has the kludgy solenoid. The IBS kit also has all cables and hardware to complete installation.
KO47-3800.jpg
vs:
IBS%20007.JPG
+
IBS%20008.JPG

It is basically new vs. old models and also includes a welding cable to complete installation.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

flyingwil

Thanks for clarifying, I was just curious as I am installing Dual Batteries on my 110 and indeed will need a Management system; my prior experience resides with the TJM ( never had a problem ) and the Wrangler , also no problems.

I do like the new solenoid, ( not so worried about the cables for the batteries as I need very short wires) , the dimming sounds like a neat idea, but being the cheap guy that I am, I am trying to justify in my head the difference

Thanks again
No worries! I like these kind of questions because it shows that your research and learning about which kit is best for your application. I would much rather have an educated customer purchase elsewhere and be happy than to purchase from us and wish they had gotten another product and be unhappy with our products because they were not educated on the product itself.

Mike

Mike, you have a PM. We can do this for you no problem.

jfarsang

Adventurer
When do you expect the 24V systems in ?

I've been waiting for a 24V battery management system for my Nissan Patrol since before I was born. :elkgrin:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I got my 12V IBS system with relay from Wil and in use for 1 year now. Easy installation, compact, reliable. Works flawlessly!

Thanks again Wil for the walk through on your install last year at Amado.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk