Ideal weight of trailer for fj 4.0l?

IamHUCK

Hello all, new to the forum very first post! I have a 2008 fj lifted on 35" tires. Runs great plenty of power. Looking for trailer project. Very much looking to diy. What is a weight range i need to be under to help insure i have as few issues as possible?

D

Deleted member 13060

Pulling the trailer is not going to be an issue. Stopping and controlling it will be. You've already reduced the stopping efficiency of the FJ brakes considerably by going with 35 inch tires. That said.....

Toyota says 5000lbs max trailer weight. With the extra sway in the tires and suspension, reduced braking, and increased stress and strain put on the drive train by the tires I'd reduce that to 3500lbs

They also say trailer brakes if heavier than 1500lbs. With the 35's I'd knock that back to 1000lbs MAX.

IamHUCK

That is good information. Thank you. Are there any other issues in having this size set up I need to know about? WOuld you recomend increasing the braking system on my fj? Thank you for your insight. 3500lbs shouldnt be too hard to stay under. ( I dont have that much stuff)
:)

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
you will have "that much stuff "soon ..lol..im looking at a trailer tomorrow ,talked to some friends with trailers and they dont have brakes on the trailer ?going to try without but will add a new axle to match tires so will put them in then ,,,

D

Deleted member 13060

That is good information. Thank you. Are there any other issues in having this size set up I need to know about? WOuld you recomend increasing the braking system on my fj? Thank you for your insight. 3500lbs shouldnt be too hard to stay under. ( I dont have that much stuff)
:)

You could put TRD brakes on the FJ..... I think 17" wheels are mandatory and you are limited to stock lower control arms......

Sat I hooked a friends Tear Drop up to my box stock 2011 FJ and drug it around the Northern Sacramento Valley for awhile to see how it would do.... I learned.
1. An 800lb Tear Drop will grow to approx 1200lbs with what appears to be little or no "add ons". I know, I backed it onto a scale at a another friends ranch.... Probably weighed a bit more since the tounge weight was on the FJ which was off the scale....
2. The FJ stops 1200 + lbs pretty good BUT it wouldn't take much of a grade to get the brakes hot in a hurry not to mention one OH S&%T moment and your toast....
3. Some sort of off-road hitch is mandatory. I put "witness" marks on both sides of the ball w/o even trying.....
4. The stock Dunflop AT-20's SUCK.... Oh wait, my bad, that's a good story for a tire thread..... :)

YMMV RON

PS I'm doing a Sierra 4X4 trailer with RTT this fall if all goes well. On paper it's gone from 640lbs to 900ish lbs w/o getting too serious.....

IamHUCK

have you guys seen or heard of a pioneer tool trailer? I have found a couple for sale, and my mind is full of the endless potential. However I think the dry weight is like 2500lbs or so. I think it is pretty dang cool though. I think they are classified as 3/4 ton military trailers. Too Heavy?? I guess so. :( But again, very cool.

STREGA

Explorer
you will have "that much stuff "soon ..lol..im looking at a trailer tomorrow ,talked to some friends with trailers and they dont have brakes on the trailer ?going to try without but will add a new axle to match tires so will put them in then ,,,

If you are going to be in the mountains you will want trailer brakes on anything over 1000 lbs. IMO. They are nice to have in some offroad situations also. The FJ has good brakes and using the transmission will help greatly in towing a heavier trailer. I travel with a fellow FJ'er who tows a 16' fiberglass egg type trailer that weighs around 4000 lbs loaded and he runs 35" AT's and he does quite well with it, he does have 4.88 gears if IIRC.

I'am currently towing around a AT Horizon with brakes and have 33" tires, my FJ tows it quite comfortably I feel. I don't know its exact weight but I'am sure it well over 1500 lbs. loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3